PDA

View Full Version : Small measuring cup

FritztheCat
02-12-2011, 19:50
I noticed on a couple of hikes that the water sources are such that I couldn't fit a bottle under them. (I use the tablets rather than a pump to treat water). So, I started looking for a small (1/2 cup or so) measuring cup to take along with me. Problem is that they all come in sets and are designed now to be durable (read: heavier than necessary).

Anyone know of a place to get a small measuring cup? I was in Target and Walmart today and had no luck.

Llama Legs
02-12-2011, 19:56
how about a Gladware mini, 4 oz. ?

super light and cheap, and has a lid. useful.

harryfred
02-12-2011, 20:03
The scoop out of a can of Gator Aid is 1/4 cup.

ClassY
02-12-2011, 21:08
Why not use your cooking pot??
It should rest flush with the bottom of the stream and not raise up like your nalgene.

Just an idea that wouldn't add any weight..

~ClassY

Gipsy
02-12-2011, 21:15
Try your local pharmacy, hospital, nursing home. Just ask for a med-cup. (the little clear plastic cups that meds are dispensed in). Most are marked for exact measurement. The most common is the 30ml/cc cup which = 1oz. Small light and easy to measure with.

Otherwise you could try a syringe. Find these in the medicine isle at the big retail chains.

Depends how small and light you really wanna go.

FritztheCat
02-13-2011, 00:30
Thanks for the great ideas! I read harryfred's post and then it hit me: the box of detergent I use comes with a 1 cup plastic scoop that weighs absolutely nothing. Right there in front of me the whole time!

Thanks again all!

EBC
02-13-2011, 16:21
Straws are useful for slow springs where dipping isn't possible--just wedge it in where the trickle emerges and put your bottle under it. Also reduces the amount of debris you end up drinking. Light, portable and easily replaceable--can be found at any fast food place. Wendy's frosty straws work well.

Bucherm
02-13-2011, 16:51
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i191/bucherm/DSCN0234.jpg

I find this to be a pretty good multi-use measuring cup. :)

(FYI that's Baconsalt to the back left. I am a big believe in the three food groups)

shelterbuilder
02-13-2011, 20:18
have you thought about sending to Campmor for a Sierra cup? Yes, they are stainless steel, but they were designed with the flared sides so that you can dip from a shallow source and still get SOME water in them. A cup with straight sides will get almost nothing in it by comparison (from the same source).

As a bonus, they can be used as a small cook pot, or as the lid to a small pot, so they can do double-duty. And they come in 2 sizes: an 8 oz. and a 12 oz. And if you want to, you can mark them (either scratch or stamp) with 1/4 cup marks, so that you can use it as a measuring cup as well.

garlic08
02-13-2011, 20:36
This is what I use, often exactly for that purpose: http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___81911

Gipsy
02-13-2011, 20:47
Measuring cup / shot glass..... BRILLIANT!