PDA

View Full Version : Hiking pole advice

theeulogy
02-12-2011, 20:38
I have been an avid hiker for about 10 yrs now. I have done a lot of 2 and three day hikes averaging 12 to 15 miles a day. I usually hike alone and am going to be hiking the first 200 miles of the AT in mid May. I tried hiking poles a few yrs ago, the kind from Walmart, and hated them. I now have a tarptent that needs a hiking pole. So my question is, what should I do. Should I adapt my hiking style to using poles, or buy a carbon pole for my tent.

fiddlehead
02-12-2011, 20:49
I don't use poles and I have a tent that sets up with one.
I simply have found out that my solar plexus area is the perfect height, so, when i'm getting near ready to camp for the night. I start looking for a stick that will work.
Of course another thing that has happened already is to hike with someone who uses two and only needs one for their setup.
The only time I carry a pole is if I'm on the PCT or CDT where I know there are going to be lots of fords and maybe not a lot of sticks to help.
Then, I've carried one.
Poles are for sheep. (and old people)

Blissful
02-12-2011, 20:49
If you don't want to use hiking poles then Henry sells poles for the tarp tent

Blissful
02-12-2011, 20:51

Baaaaaa

Poles saved me knees big time.

Yukon
02-12-2011, 20:53

Wow, great advice :rolleyes:

JohnEbner
02-12-2011, 21:11
I use hiking poles as I find them helpful. If you don't like them or they don't do anything to help you then there's no point in forcing yourself to use them. Just get a pole from Henry.

theeulogy
02-12-2011, 21:27
Thanks for all the advice. I think I will just order a pole from Henry Shires. Like I said I have tried poles before and did not really suit my hiking style. I hike a lot of miles on very hilly trails in the summer, I am lucky enough to live near a park that has a lot of trails. As soon as the weather breaks I will start hiking 3 days a week.

LoneRidgeRunner
02-12-2011, 21:30
Baaaaaa

Poles saved me knees big time.

Ditto......

LoneRidgeRunner
02-12-2011, 21:33
Wow, great advice :rolleyes:

Fiddlehead's favorite thing seems to be calling people sheep...I once read him calling people who hike NOBO sheep..I guess if you don't do as he does you're a sheep..:rolleyes: Baaaaa I use poles ....do I care what others think? no...