PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Pack Question on REI Mars 80

DarkBunny
02-12-2011, 20:43
Hi all,

New here and have been lurking for awhile, really love the forum. I am getting ready to start section hiking this summer and have started looking at gear. Looking specifically for comments/info/feedback on the REI Mars 80 pack after having done some comparisons of my own online. Would want to be using it for a 5/6 day trip this August from Springer Mountain going north and then for several more section hikes of similar distance/time for the next couple years.

I am a bigger guy (260 lbs+ with a big frame) used to carrying my 4-year-old daughter in a backpack (Keltie), total about 45 pounds, for up to 5 miles at a time but have no other experience hiking significant distance with a pack.

Any comments from people who have had experience with this pack in particular or have a great experience with another similarly priced pack in my kind of situation would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

DarkBunny

Hooch
02-12-2011, 22:41
That's a huge freakin' pack. It's also a heavy pack. The problem with big packs like that is tha tpeople have a tendency to overfill them with stuff they may really not need, just because there's extra room. If you don't need a pack that big, look at selling it/returning it to REI and getting one that's better suited to you and your needs.

SoFlo
02-12-2011, 23:05
I am in a similar situation. Large frame and 4-5 day trips at a time. Large frames usually call for large everything... sleeping bags, jackets and just about everything else. I've been using a Gregory Baltoro 70 and it suits me well. There are lighter packs out there, but I really like the way these packs distribute and carry the weight. My total weight is about 38-40 lb at the start of a 4-5 day outing, including food and water. Just be carefully and don't overfill. It's surprising how much you DON'T need in a pack.

Chubbs4U
02-13-2011, 01:15
So when would you need a 80L or 90L backpack? One of the first bags I got was that big and never use it. Bought it a while ago used it once, think REI will still take it back?

DarkBunny
02-14-2011, 19:50
Thanks for the input, guys, I appreciate it. I didn't buy this pack yet, was just looking for opinions; glad to get some good info.

crazystick
02-14-2011, 20:13
So when would you need a 80L or 90L backpack? One of the first bags I got was that big and never use it. Bought it a while ago used it once, think REI will still take it back?

REI has a great return policy, they will always take things back. Are you a member? if you are a member anything you buy is saved under your membership, so you dont need a receipt, their return policy is if your EVER unhappy with a product you can return it, whether the item is modified or not, in any condition.
If you do not have a membership and dont have a receipt, what they then have to do is find the item in the computer, find how much it cost, at its lowest cost (because you could have bought it on sale if it was ever on sale) and they give you store credit, but yes, you can still return it.

Although some people do take advantage of this. I had one guy come in and return a 15 year old pair of boots, we had to give it to him, for its policy.
They know most people are good and honest, thats why they still make a profit.

bigcranky
02-14-2011, 21:28
Look for something in the 60-65 liter range, maybe 3-4 pounds empty weight. That's the sweet spot for lightweight traditional packs. Something like the REI Flash 65, or the Osprey Aether 60 or 70, that sort of thing. Large enough for everything you need, but not so big that you'll fill it up and then not be able to lift it.

Toolshed
02-14-2011, 21:37

So back in the day, a 90L pack (5400 ci) was pretty standard. So were Whisperlights, 5lb tents, MSR Stainless steel cooksets, 3-5 lb sleeping bags, yada yada yada.....
I take my 93 Lowe Contour IV (My first really high end expedition pack, and where it would be crammed for a 10 day trip, I can easily fit everything into a 70 Litre Pack (4200ci) now.
I don't think a 90L would still hold me for winter though, with a winter -20 bag, extra clothes, 4S tent, extra fuel, yad yada yada.... that's where my massive Dana Designs Astralplane comes in.
REI might take it back, but why not sell it on Ebay?

Papa D
02-14-2011, 21:43
Way, Way too big of a pack these days - I did my thru in '85 with a Dana Designs pack that was big - but not that big - now in the summer I carry what ultra-lighters would consider the kitchen sink in a 50 liter pack with extra room for whatever - it's plenty.

Chubbs4U
02-15-2011, 20:04
I know this thread kind of went array but I have another question. Will I ever use the 90L pack? If their is no chance then I will return it, if there is a chance then I might as well hold onto it, got it for like 130$ or something like that. I did just get a new 60L Gregory so I do have a pack.

envirodiver
02-15-2011, 20:18
Agreed, you don't need that much space for a week long trip. Smaller pack size saves weight in many ways.

macdude
02-15-2011, 20:43
I'm 6'3, 250 lbs and I use the REI Mars 80 pack . I have been well pleased with this pack. I like how the back opens up, I put my bag and hammock in the bottom. It doesn't weigh that much more .

levidoug
02-15-2011, 20:55
The bigger the pack the more tempted we are to fill it.
I am also tall but went with a pack at 3950 cu in. less temptation to carry
what I think I need and more what I need to carry to be safe and comfortable
Milage will for each. HYOH.

levidoug

Toolshed
02-15-2011, 22:27
I know this thread kind of went array but I have another question. Will I ever use the 90L pack? If their is no chance then I will return it, if there is a chance then I might as well hold onto it, got it for like 130$ or something like that. I did just get a new 60L Gregory so I do have a pack.
Do you have kids that you would take out for overnights? Do you winter backpack (snowshoe or BC Ski tour). These would be the reasons for keeping a larger pack. Otherwise it will just grow old in your basement...

Chubbs4U
02-16-2011, 00:26
I thank you all for the advice and sorry I took the thread off topic. Will return it soon enough. Used it once, barely on a camping trip.

goodolenate
02-16-2011, 14:51
REI has a great return policy, they will always take things back. Are you a member? if you are a member anything you buy is saved under your membership, so you dont need a receipt, their return policy is if your EVER unhappy with a product you can return it, whether the item is modified or not, in any condition.
If you do not have a membership and dont have a receipt, what they then have to do is find the item in the computer, find how much it cost, at its lowest cost (because you could have bought it on sale if it was ever on sale) and they give you store credit, but yes, you can still return it.

Although some people do take advantage of this. I had one guy come in and return a 15 year old pair of boots, we had to give it to him, for its policy.
They know most people are good and honest, thats why they still make a profit.

I very much second this. I actually bought a Mars 80 but when I took it out on some 8-10 mile testers, I found that this pack nearly killed me. It wasn't the weight of the load (35lbs) but the hip pads.

I finally settled on the REI Flash 65 but if you're wanting a pack that is a bit more comfortable the Ridgeline 65 is also a good option.

If you really do need 80L of a pack and the hip pads fit you properly, the Mars 80 is a really decent pack.

Take advantage of REI's return policy and go pick one up. Take it on a 8-10 mile test hike with a reasonable load in it. If it works then take it on a few overnighters, if not go and try another pack.

scope
02-16-2011, 15:34

Mine is relegated to shoving stuff into to make one trip to/from the car when car camping - not at a campground obviously, but when I have to park the car and walk up to a half mile or so (usually not that far).

I could see using it when hiking with my son when he gets older to carry extra gear and camp items for limited mileage.

crazystick
02-17-2011, 16:54
Goodolnate: I also use the new rei flash65 pack and I love it. It has improved alot since the older versions. It's very configurable too. You can easily modify it from a 3 lb pack to a 2 lb one. And the shoulder straps and hip belt are much nicer than the previous models.
Op: the mars is a decent pack if you need 80liters. But on a thru I think you should look at a pack around 60liters

LIhikers
02-17-2011, 22:43
You may find a use for a large pack. I have a Mountainsmith Boundary that is 4750 cubic inches if I remember correctly. Earlier this winter we were out in cold weather, single digits at night, and I found myself carrying 3 sleeping bags, 2 for me and 1 for the dog. I also had our tent, my ground pad, extra clothing, kitchen kit, and of course food and water. I filled the pack up without having to cram stuff into the nooks and crannies.

dla
02-25-2011, 15:19
I use the REI Mars and I like it. It has the room and it fits me. I'm not a UL hiker by any means, so I always seem to hit about 30+lbs when watered up. Well thought out pack and it's held up well for about 3 years of use. I previously used a lightweight REI 45 (smaller ancestor to the Flash65), but I got tired of the limited space. The Mars allows me to stuff in extra clothing, fishing gear, etc.

woodstock64
02-27-2011, 23:32
I too also have settled on the REI Flash 65. REI has such a generous return policy I find it hard to justify renting gear, especially a pack. Prior to purchasing the REI Flash 65, I borrowed a friend's backpack for an AT section hike in 5/09. The pack was ill-fitted and I subsequently ended up pulling my back out 15 miles into a 30 mile hike (DWG in NJ). It too was also a large pack which I easily filled to capacity, leaving me to carry 45+ lbs. Coupled with my bad back, I was NOT having fun. Upon my return, I researched numerous packs and settled on the Flash 65 because it provides the perfect balance between weight, size and features. I hiked with it last spring in Shenandoah NP, and it was a huge improvement. I could have easily hiked forever with it on my back. I really hardly noticed it on my back. Whichever pack you choose, make sure it fits you perfectly. Get properly measured and test it out. A well-fit pack makes a world of difference.