PDA

View Full Version : Hello, first thread. Please help with GA hike

High Side
02-12-2011, 21:59
Hello, I am a long time lurker, first time poster. I hiked the GA AT in Boy Scouts 20 years ago. It was great. I am an avid mountain biker but getting more into hiking. Myself and a buddy (who is an experienced hiker) are going to do a 4 day hike in May.

This is my plan:

Wed Eve: Park at AFSP and camp there
Thurs: Approach trail to Springer
Fri: Springer to Hawk mtn
Sat: Hawk mtn to Gooch Gap
Sun: Gooch Gap to Woody Gap, get picked up there

OR

Wed Eve: Stay at buddys house in Hiawasee
Thurs: Springer to Hawk Mtn
Fri: Hawk Mtn to Gooch Gap
Sat: Gooch to Blood Mtn
Sun: Blood Mtn to Neels, get picked up there

WHich of these two would be more fun?

Also, if anyone can suggest a better 4 day hike in the GA/NC area let me know. Like I said, I have a local shuttle available.

Thanks!

Freedom Walker
02-12-2011, 22:24
OR

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I hiked the Approach trail last May, stayed at Springer overmight and returned the next morning. Other than training, the Approach isn't that special. Then I got dropped off at springer parking lot and hiked to Neels in Sept. I would skip the approach trail so you can do Blood and if they are open early Sun, do some shopping at Mountain Crossings. The mountain views on Blood were great so I wouldn't want to miss that. But if you taking a tent or other shelter consider staying at Slaughter creek campsite, to keep a shorter day Sat. The NB climb up Blood wasn't bad, but the decend down Blood was tough to do.

earlyriser26
02-12-2011, 22:27
I would go with the second option. Blood mt is a great climb and you also get springer.

Blissful
02-12-2011, 22:37
2nd one probably. Blood mtn has an awesome view in good weather too

envirodiver
02-12-2011, 22:51
Hello, I am a long time lurker, first time poster. I hiked the GA AT in Boy Scouts 20 years ago. It was great. I am an avid mountain biker but getting more into hiking. Myself and a buddy (who is an experienced hiker) are going to do a 4 day hike in May.

This is my plan:

Wed Eve: Park at AFSP and camp there
Thurs: Approach trail to Springer
Fri: Springer to Hawk mtn
Sat: Hawk mtn to Gooch Gap
Sun: Gooch Gap to Woody Gap, get picked up there

OR

Also, if anyone can suggest a better 4 day hike in the GA/NC area let me know. Like I said, I have a local shuttle available.

Thanks!

If you would like more solitude, look at hiking the BMT from Springer.

MkBibble
02-14-2011, 11:40
The trip down from Blood Mountain to Neel is going to make for a short day, and the day before (Gooch to Blood) is going to make a long uphill end to your third day - longer than the two previous days. You might consider stopping at Slaughter Creek; there are plenty of places to tent, and water... Then go up and over Blood Mountain the following morning.

High Side
02-14-2011, 22:22
The trip down from Blood Mountain to Neel is going to make for a short day, and the day before (Gooch to Blood) is going to make a long uphill end to your third day - longer than the two previous days. You might consider stopping at Slaughter Creek; there are plenty of places to tent, and water... Then go up and over Blood Mountain the following morning.

Excellent, just the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks

realdusi
02-15-2011, 00:04
Just out of curiosity, what is the mileage that you'd be covering for opt 1 and opt 2?

Tinker
02-15-2011, 00:10
I stopped at Blood Mt. shelter in 2006. I wasn't tempted to stay anywhere near it. Later I read stories that mice, a rat, and even a skunk had made their dwelling there. The views are great, though. From what I could see there were not really any good tenting sites nearby. I descended the mountain and stopped about a mile beyond Neel (or Neels, or Neel's) Gap at a flat spot with a tentsite on either side of the trail.
I'd still prefer option #2 over #1. I did the Approach Trail - good exercise, that's about it. :)

zeus307
02-15-2011, 09:16
Go with your second option, Blood mountain is well worth it and you also get Springer in as well. Hike and enjoy

High Side
02-15-2011, 10:08
Just out of curiosity, what is the mileage that you'd be covering for opt 1 and opt 2?

Option #1 is 28.29

Option #2 is 30.6

I have decided to go with Option #2, however, I am planning to stay Wed night at Walasi-Yi, and have them shuttle us to Springer.

Thanks!

High Side
02-15-2011, 10:12
Also, is Byron Reece still the best place to park to access Walasi-Yi? Is it ok to leave a car there?

bigmac_in
02-15-2011, 10:15

I would totally agree with this recommendation. Exactly what we did on a section hike. It's a short climb to the top of Blood the next morning and will give you plenty of time to enjoy the summit before heading down to Neel Gap.

max patch
02-15-2011, 10:46
Also, is Byron Reece still the best place to park to access Walasi-Yi? Is it ok to leave a car there?

Yes, but they "improved" the lot and reduced the number of parking spots from around 80 to 25 or so. Illegal parkers now get a ticket, as people who have attempted to find a parking place on the weekend have found out.

phobos
02-15-2011, 19:07
I stopped at Blood Mt. shelter in 2006. I wasn't tempted to stay anywhere near it. Later I read stories that mice, a rat, and even a skunk had made their dwelling there. The views are great, though. From what I could see there were not really any good tenting sites nearby. I descended the mountain and stopped about a mile beyond Neel (or Neels, or Neel's) Gap at a flat spot with a tentsite on either side of the trail.
I'd still prefer option #2 over #1. I did the Approach Trail - good exercise, that's about it. :)

yeah I wouldn't stay in Blood Mtn shelter, lots and lots of rats :D there are some tent sites hidden around, just have to look. They aren't obvious.