PDA

View Full Version : skins/tubes

titanium_hiker
01-04-2005, 12:51
how many of you use hammock reptileskins/tubes of some sort?

please also post if they are comercial or homemade, and if you put the tarp in the skins.

attroll
01-04-2005, 13:41
Once you have tried them you will never go back to trying to fold your hammock and fly into the bag it came in.

My skins are from Hennessey Hammock.

Youngblood
01-04-2005, 15:24
I just use a stuff sack that is large enough to stuff the tarp in and another one that is large enough to stuff the hammock in. No folding and its pretty quick-- just untie one end, roll up that rope or ridgeline, put it in the stuff sack and stuff hammock or tarp as I walk to the other tree... they squash down to whatever shape they want to in my pack. When I want to hang them, I unclinch the stuff sack, take out the rope or ridgeline, tie that off, walk to the other tree with the stuff sack letting the hammock or tarp pull out of the stuff sack until I come to the other rope or ridgeline and then tie that end off. Works fine for me... the trick is to use stuff sacks that are large enough.

Youngblood

neo
01-04-2005, 16:17
jacks are better snakes skins are the way to go,love em:sun neo

Crash
01-04-2005, 18:40
Dont Leave Home Without Them!

titanium_hiker
01-04-2005, 18:54
bumbumbum
defeated the evil sewing machine!! (thanks mum)

now the proud owner of homemade hammock tubes/skins. Realised with the tubes that the titanium hammock phase one is huge. starting to save pennies for phase two.
sigh.

titanium

peter_pan
01-04-2005, 19:01
Size matters....Python skins swallow hammock, bigger tarp and under quilt. :D

Goalkeeper31
01-05-2005, 13:40
I also use skins of some sort. I have both Hennessey Snake Skins and JRB Python Skins. I cannot imagine being able to get hammock and underquilt into the Hennessey version, but they weren't designed to do so. Like 'em both. Easy to use once you get the hang of it, IMHO.

flyfisher
01-06-2005, 13:59
Homemade hammock tubes are easy to make and can be made exactly to the size as needed.

http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/hammocktube.htm

For the same reasons, I now also put my hammock tarp in a set of tubes. They allow me to put my tarp up and still see the night sky. If I need to deploy the tarp, it takes less than a minute.

titanium_hiker
01-06-2005, 14:09
yeah flyfisher, I made mine according to your site.
So you put your fly in a separate one? sounds like a good idea (wet hammock = bad!) a flyskin. (subthought: howmany flies would you have to skin to get a decent size one? lol)

titanium

mattyg2
01-06-2005, 18:39
For those of you who use skins, can you hang them to the outside of the pack while it is raining, or will too much water get in? Just curious. (I don't use a pack cover, so it would remain totally exposed).

Thanks,
Matt

SGT Rock
01-06-2005, 19:05
Never tried it. I don't know if I would have them outside of my pack in a hard rain for very long.

weary
01-06-2005, 19:27
A new record has been achieved. This is the first multi-response thread in which I have not a clue about what people are talking about. Something about snakes crawling into hammocks? And pythons no less.

I once warned my grandson in Pennsylvania not to read the trail register. It was an entry by Unbalanced Bruce telling about waking up in the leanto at 3 a.m. with some creature crawling across his breast. He flung the thing outside, grabbed his flashlight, and watched a giant black snake crawl away.

My grandson, then 11, read the entry anyway. And, regardless, he slept soundly. Somehow, I couldn't.

Weary

SGT Rock
01-06-2005, 19:29
Snakes are cuddly

Youngblood
01-06-2005, 20:07
I saw these at REI when I was there today: http://www.byerofmaine.com/amaz-acces_hamm-sock.htm . I don't think they weighed 5 lbs.

flyfisher
01-06-2005, 21:26
For those of you who use skins, can you hang them to the outside of the pack while it is raining, or will too much water get in? Just curious. (I don't use a pack cover, so it would remain totally exposed).

Thanks,
Matt
One could, I suppose, if I were careful about how I stuffed it into the back pocket of my pack and made sure that the middle joint is rainproof (outer over the inner layer.)

However, I normally stuff the tube covered hammock inside a stuff sack. It takes up less room and makes it much easier to find stuff in my pack during the day. Inside a silnylon stuff sack, I am sure the hammock would stay dry as long as the opening to the sack was pointing to the ground.

I often put a wet tarp in the outside netting so that I can use it for lunch if it keeps raining or hang it up during a break to dry if the woods dry out - no reason to keep carrying the water around when I can give it back to mother earth.

FatMan
01-06-2005, 22:25
For those of you who use skins, can you hang them to the outside of the pack while it is raining, or will too much water get in? Just curious. (I don't use a pack cover, so it would remain totally exposed).Matt,

I am confident the HH Skins will keep the hammock dry hanging outside the pack. Although I stuff mine into my pack, I have left it hanging at campgrounds closed in the skins for the day when it rained like all heck and when I pulled the skins back it was completely dry. I have the larger Explorer Deluxe Asym HH which comes with the larger skins. It allows 2"-3" overlap in the center which is more than enough to keep the rain out.

Crash
01-06-2005, 23:18
I have left my HH on the outside wrapped ins snake skins while it was raining. No problems and my HH was not soaked.

ocourse
01-10-2005, 08:57
Mine are homemade and the tarp goes inside. I have 2 sets of skins that I use depending on what temps I am likely to encounter - one set is somewhat larger to accomodate a homemade underquilt. I find that I just don't need the stuff sack anymore.