PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol or white gas availability on AT?

jima59
02-13-2011, 07:32
I've always liked the svea even knowing it weighs more than a home or pro built alcohol stove. But after losing my svea 123 and looking to get another stove is there a easier chance of finding alcohol near the AT or would I also have it easy getting gas for the svea 123. Always used the coleman white gas for it but could change to the tangria for alcohol. What do you think?

DripDry
02-13-2011, 09:15
Finding alcohol isn't a problem. Most outfitters sell it by the ounce, and you can always buy "HEET" from almost every gas station or convenience store near a road- just make sure you get the yellow bottle.

JaxHiker
02-13-2011, 15:16
I'd probably go with alcohol also. I love my Svea. Sorry you lost yours.

Feral Bill
02-13-2011, 17:23
Sveas are easily bought on ebay. Sorry for your loss.

rickb
02-13-2011, 18:20
Others will thank you for going with the Trangia.

Or at least not kill you when you fire your new stove up at a shelter for your 5Am coffee.

generoll
02-13-2011, 18:55
nothing like the purr of a Svea. of course the added weight's another thing.

JaxHiker
02-13-2011, 21:44
I took 4 stoves on my last hike. The Svea, 2 alcohol stoves (incl Trangia), and a canister stove. I like stoves. :D

tlavergne
02-21-2011, 19:08
Is white gas available along the trail in quantities other than a gallon canister?

vamelungeon
02-21-2011, 19:15
My Trangia was actually built by Svea. It's part of a Swedish Army mess kit. The kit is pretty heavy but works well, and I do carry the whole kit and kaboodle on a single night trip or a couple of nights. I have made a pot stand and have a Kmart grease pot that weigh less. I've tried homemade stoves but haven't had one that worked as well.

LoneRidgeRunner
02-21-2011, 19:40
Is white gas available along the trail in quantities other than a gallon canister?

At the sporting goods stores where MSR products are sold MSR white gas is sold in 32 ounce cans..

sheepdog
02-21-2011, 19:44
I took 4 stoves on my last hike. The Svea, 2 alcohol stoves (incl Trangia), and a canister stove. I like stoves. :D
can't have too many stoves

LoneRidgeRunner
02-21-2011, 19:56

Were you cooking for an entire boy scout troop?

sheepdog
02-21-2011, 19:59
I often take more than one stove. The alcohol stoves are light and nothing tells you how a stove works like the trail.

tlavergne
02-21-2011, 20:33
Great, thanks.

At the sporting goods stores where MSR products are sold MSR white gas is sold in 32 ounce cans..

tuswm
03-15-2011, 00:13
I use reg 87 oct gas in white gas stoves all the time. its got a smell to it but when you are out side it doesn't matter. so in a pinch..........

vamelungeon
03-15-2011, 09:42
I use reg 87 oct gas in white gas stoves all the time. its got a smell to it but when you are out side it doesn't matter. so in a pinch..........
It will work but regular gas has additives in it that will clog white gas stoves pretty quickly.

gunner76
03-16-2011, 15:57
I use a Clikstand http://www.clikstand.com/ with my Trangia. Build in windscreen and pot stand. Assembles and comes apart fast. I own 3 alcohol stoves, easy to use and pretty much fool proof so they are ideal for me.

tuswm
03-16-2011, 17:50
It will work but regular gas has additives in it that will clog white gas stoves pretty quickly.
Has this ever happened to you?

yep I have heard this before, But I have put about 20 gallons of 87 in my MSR simmerlite now with out a single cleaning. I use it for cooking at work and to cook outside any time the weather is nice. I live on an island over half the year and dont even have a kitchen there. it gets a lot of use and $$$$$ white gas vs 87 $$ oct + cleaning I was fine with but I have never had to clean it. not once. The only issue I have ever run in to was the smell.

also 93 oct has MORE additives then 85 oct so just get teh cheapest you can.

vamelungeon
03-16-2011, 19:23
Has this ever happened to you?

yep I have heard this before, But I have put about 20 gallons of 87 in my MSR simmerlite now with out a single cleaning. I use it for cooking at work and to cook outside any time the weather is nice. I live on an island over half the year and dont even have a kitchen there. it gets a lot of use and $$$$$ white gas vs 87 $$ oct + cleaning I was fine with but I have never had to clean it. not once. The only issue I have ever run in to was the smell.

also 93 oct has MORE additives then 85 oct so just get teh cheapest you can.
No, not to me personally because I don't use gasoline in my stove.

gunner76
03-27-2011, 10:31
As far as I remember the main reason for not using regular gasoline as stove fuel was years ago lead was used as an additive. As lead is not being used in gas anymore it is not an issue.

Tinker
03-27-2011, 18:55
nothing like the purr of a Svea. of course the added weight's another thing.

Yep - sure can't beat that Svea purr. Similar to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1qsBGTkVSk
I wouldn't have wanted to use one in close proximity to a WWII Londoner who'd heard a V-1.

AndyB
04-19-2011, 08:26
WHAT?? I CAN"T HEAR YOU, I"M BOILING WATER WITH A JET ENGINE.

love old school sveas. I did a test boil yesterday with my trangia alky stove, 7 minutes seem about right to you guys? We tried rubbing alcohol first and it took 13 and some change. I'm an convert to Alky stoves now.