PDA

View Full Version : Food for the Trail

bishopj
02-13-2011, 12:19
Hi everone just thinking about some food i want to bring on the trail with me.

1 Peanut Butter i was gone to take it out of the jar and put in a double freezer bag
do you think this would work.
2 I want to bring English Muffins for lunch can you eat them right out the bag or do you have to toast them.
3 Also thinking about hard boil eggs my buddy said they can last 5 to 7 days on the trail.
4 What about lunch meat and hot dogs figure these foods would help break up eating the same old food all the time.
Oh yet the jar the peanut butter was in weight 7oz. with out the peanut butter

Thank for the help
:rolleyes:

Tuckahoe
02-13-2011, 12:29
If you have access to farm fresh eggs, they will have a longer shelf life than hardboiled eggs will.

Slo-go'en
02-13-2011, 12:37
1. Get PB in a plastic jar - it would weigh about the same as some freezer bags.
2. Your kidding right? I'll admit they taste better toasted, but can be eaten either way.
3. So long as you can keep the shell intact, which could be a problem. I wouldn't risk it though, especially as it starts to get warm out.
4. In thoery, lunch meat and Hot dogs are precooked, but again, I wouldn't trust them more than a day or so out of town. Since you would likely cook the Hot dogs anyway, they would last a bit longer than lunch meat (unless its canned).

bishopj
02-13-2011, 12:39
I do their is a farm up the road from me that sell fresh eggs but how would you stop them from breaking in your pack.

4shot
02-13-2011, 12:39
Regarding the PB, I really liked the kind that's premixed with the jelly (and it comes in a lightweight plastic jar). would rather carry that (or just plain PB in a plastic jar which is also available) than try to spoon PB into a plastic bag. Places that carried the premixed included Food lion, Dollar General and Wally World (I believe). Sometimes you can find it only in the glass jar - I stayed away from that.

Regarding the meat, look for summer sausage, pepperoni, slim jims, jerkey, chicken or tuna in a pouch, etc. I would be a little leary of lunch meat especially in warm or hot weather myself.

English muffins, bagels, tortillas all work - no need to toast them.

royalusa
02-13-2011, 12:42
Agree with Slo-go'en ....an (empty) 18 ounce plastic PB jar weighs less than 2 ounces. Not too bad when you consider you get to skip the hassle of transferring the PB to a baggie ...never tried that before, but maybe it works fine. An interesting concept.

Slo-go'en
02-13-2011, 12:49
Regarding the PB, I really liked the kind that's premixed with the jelly (and it comes in a lightweight plastic jar).

I tried that and found it grows mold really quickly. Kept sperate, I've had no problem, but when mixed together, it seems to be an ideal medium for growing mold.

4shot
02-13-2011, 13:08
Slo-go-en...never noticed any mold. I never had a jar that lasted over 4-5 days though and I was careful never to eat directly out of the jar like some did. I carried a little plastic knife from a fast food or convenience place in a baggy. This was used to spread the mixture onto my bread then directly back into the bag. I never licked the knife and picked up a new one at the next place I could. Maybe I was just lucky but this method worked for me.

Rick500
02-13-2011, 13:57
You can also get individual-serving-sized foil packets of peanut butter. I found it at Wal-Mart, I think about 50 cents each. Really good peanut butter too. I think I recall they also had chocolate peanut butter packaged that way.

Tuckahoe
02-13-2011, 15:01
I do their is a farm up the road from me that sell fresh eggs but how would you stop them from breaking in your pack.

Check this link -- http://www.rei.com/search?query=egg+holder

Coghlan's has a 2 and a 6 egg holder. I am considering getting both. I am much more willing to carry either one rather than limit myself to instant oatmeal or powdered eggs.

Also one other thing. Dont wash the eggs as that will remove the natural protective layer that allows eggs to stored for extended periods of time without refrigeration.

Blissful
02-13-2011, 16:07
English muffins tend to dry and crumble quickly.
PB out of a small jar is best.
See my blog below for other lunch ideas.

You're in town every few days. I'd skip the eggs and eat in town.

johnnybgood
02-13-2011, 16:59
English muffins tend to dry and crumble quickly.
PB out of a small jar is best.
See my blog below for other lunch ideas.

You're in town every few days. I'd skip the eggs and eat in town.
Agree , skip the eggs and English muffins until eating in town or at a wayside.
I've never carried Peanut Butter while on the trail but the smallest size in a plastic jar sounds like the way to go.

garlic08
02-13-2011, 18:40
English muffins tend to get stale pretty fast, they have a higher volume (all the big bubbles), and they fall apart pretty easily. Bagels and tortillas make better bread choices.

Hard boiled eggs work for me for the first day or two. If I have access to a kitchen, I make some fried egg sandwiches and they last two days easily.

Just bring the pb in the plastic jar it comes in.

No opinions about meat--I don't touch the stuff. I've seen friends carry hard cured sausage with good success. Hard cheeses work well for me.

Different Socks
02-13-2011, 18:58
Agree with Slo-go'en ....an (empty) 18 ounce plastic PB jar weighs less than 2 ounces. Not too bad when you consider you get to skip the hassle of transferring the PB to a baggie ...never tried that before, but maybe it works fine. An interesting concept.

Too much of a chance of the baggie bursting, busting open, getting punctured, etc no matter how many times you bag it.

harryfred
02-13-2011, 19:11
Ditto the PB in a small plastic jar it is the easiest least messy way to go. I'm trying to find jelly in smaller plastic containers.
English muffins are OK untoasted. they just take quite a beating in my pack Ive gotten real fond of flat bagels.
Lunch meat and hot dogs are OK as long as they stay sealed I carry the 2.* oz. packs of Buddig lunch meat there is just enough for one good sandwich particularly if you add a good slice off cheese. Oscar Mayer hot dogs come as a twin 4 pack. You can eat one a have the other unopened for later.I have carried both of these for over 5 days with out a problem.
I have carried boiled eggs but usually eat them the first day out or the next. I like fresh eggs if I'm just going out overnight. I find they are too heavy and too bulky to be worth it for any longer. I am looking into powdered eggs they have a very long shelf life even after they are opened.

fredmugs
02-14-2011, 08:50
Consider bringing summer sausage or the equivalent instead of hot dogs or lunch meat. You can cut it up and put it in ziplocks and also have cheese to go with it.