PDA

View Full Version : Pack on the Train

bishopj
02-13-2011, 13:33
OK i not had any luck geting Thur to Amtrak i have an external frame pack it the Jansport Olympic.
I know it won't fit in the overhead can i just carry it on the car itself and sit on the floor
i hate to get to the train and they tell me i can bring it on board. I will be geting off at Gainesville and the they do not have ever one at that station to get your pack out the baggage car.
:eek:

Red Beard
02-13-2011, 13:53
OK i not had any luck geting Thur to Amtrak i have an external frame pack it the Jansport Olympic.
I know it won't fit in the overhead can i just carry it on the car itself and sit on the floor
i hate to get to the train and they tell me i can bring it on board. I will be geting off at Gainesville and the they do not have ever one at that station to get your pack out the baggage car.

If I wind up having to take the train as well, I plan on putting my pack inside a USMC sea bag. They're only about $10.00 at any armed-forces surplus store. That, and packing my gear a bit differently "should" provide some level of protection. Any word on whether you'll be getting a ride down?

bishopj
02-13-2011, 13:54
Yet forgot the train i be taking is call the Crescent 19

Red Beard
02-13-2011, 13:55
??????????

bishopj
02-13-2011, 13:56
not till the end of Feb she has to see if she can get off work

chiefiepoo
02-13-2011, 14:02
From my experience with Amtrak on the cross country Empire Builder. Coach seating on bi level cars has huge over head racks, much larger than air craft. Down below are baggage bins that store suitcases and stuff for travelers getting on / off at stations where there is no baggage. Bins are big enuf for me to move a few bags and spread my sleeping bag out and sleep in the bin. Usually till the conductor comes by and chases me out. But then, I'm only 5'6". Day coaches, like the Downeaster in Maine have somewhat smaller bins and usually open areas at the end of the car to accomodate handicapped. I've stored my pack there when not otherwise used. Bottom line, on and off with a pack should be no problem. Carry no fuel and be courteous to the Conductor. S/he is in charge of everything.

jlo
02-13-2011, 19:09
I wouldn't worry about it. Just take your pack as is. I used to take the train home from college all the time. The station was small and I would just board the train with my suitcase and the guys who work on the train help you with all that. My stuff wouldn't go on any luggage car, but in a storage space near the door or in the overhead (which are much bigger than an airplane).

Going back to college, they would "check" my bag if I wanted, but they would take it off the train at my stop...no problems ever. If all you have is one backpack, it shouldn't be a problem.

George
02-13-2011, 19:33
nice to keep it close (overhead) but if the pack cannot get thinner than 10-11 inches it may have to go in a bin, a big garbage bag will keep eyes off it. If you plan on this, bring a disposable carry on (grocery bag) for snacks, book etc. When I take public trans. to a hike I find some old clothes that I can toss when I get to the jump off point.

Camping Dave
02-13-2011, 21:51

Have you actually taken your pack to an Amtrack train to see if it fits? Their overheads are huge.

WingedMonkey
02-14-2011, 00:49
My loaded pack has fit overhead on every train I have been on, to Yosemite, to Grand Canyon, and to Gainesville.

dzierzak
02-14-2011, 13:12
Took an external and an internal (different trips) to and from WV - DC, Philly. Both always fit in the overhead. Just dragged it onboard with me. It's sometimes amusing to watch what other bring on, too!:-?

coheterojo
02-14-2011, 13:21
I traveled back to SC from Boston on Amtrak after I finished my thru. I ran on the train at the last minute. No one even asked to look at my pack and it fit in the overhead with tons of room to spare.

Don't sweat it.

Flaco

rpenczek
02-14-2011, 15:58
Just took 32 Boy Scouts and Adults to Philmont Scout Ranch in NM this past summer. We were on the train from Gailsburg, IL to Raton, NM. Of course, this specific line gets tons of Boy Scouts with backpacking gear each summer so the line was prepared. But, I suspect most Amtrak lines are similar. The process was easy.

As we boarded, we put our own packs in baggage and then picked our own pack up on with way out. I purchased $6 big giant laundry bags for each boy to put their pack in, but looking back, these would not be necessary, especially for an adult who does not lash (poorly) all his/her gadgets to the outside of the pack.

Note, Amtrak does not inspect for pocket knives, stoves, etc... We did not bring on any fuel and our fuel tanks were clean on our way to Philmont. Tanks were empty on the way back, but I would not stay totally (like new) clean, you could still smell white gas if you opened them.

On the train we were on, you could have fit a pack in the overhead, but not if everyone tried to do the same.