PDA

View Full Version : Insulated layer - Vest or Jacket, Down or Synthetic

travisap
02-13-2011, 18:54
I'm 5' 8", male, 22 years old, 150 lbs. I'm doing a NOBO thru hike, starting May 15th (I know it's late, have to finish college first).

I've been looking into a ton of different vests for my insulation layer but I haven't even considered getting a jacket. I already have a Marmot PreCip rain jacket but I wasn't sure if I'd want something other than a vest.

I know it'll be summer and plenty warm but I have issues staying warm.

Here are the vests I've been looking at:
Marmot Zeus Vest - 10
Marmot Baffin Vest - 8
WM Flash Vest - 3.5
Marmot Guides Vest - 15
PHD Minimus Down Vest - 9
triple zero down Antza - 7
FF Hyperion/Helios - 7.5
Skaha Down Vest - 5.5
Sherpa Vajra - 10
GoLite Beartooth - 13
GoLite Cady 2477 - 12
mont-bell U.L. thermawrap - 5.4
mont-bell alpine Light Down - 9.9

HeartWalker
02-13-2011, 19:50
WM Flash vest works good for me.

BrianLe
02-13-2011, 20:30
What else are you carrying that can work with the vest? Wind shirt? Light fleece? Nothing?

I like my thermawrap vest a lot; I'm guessing that you won't be wearing it while walking, so an equivalent weight down vest is likely a better choice, i.e., warmer for the same weight (or lighter for the same wamth).

What I personally like instead for the more core part of 3-season hiking is a thermawrap jacket; I tend to use my vest as something to layer with a down jacket in colder temps or wear while actually hiking when it's quite cold out.

bigcranky
02-13-2011, 20:36
If you layer your rain shell over a good down vest over a long sleeve base layer, that should keep you warm in camp starting mid-May. That's what I carry, anyway (the Montbell UL down inner *vest*.) If it's colder than that, just get in your sleeping bag.

Personally I find my base layer to be very important for staying warm -- you might want to bring a mid-weight long sleeve (like a Capilene 3) or even a microfleece pullover.

Ol Mole
02-13-2011, 20:40
I'm 5' 8", male, 22 years old, 150 lbs. I'm doing a NOBO thru hike, starting May 15th (I know it's late, have to finish college first).

I've been looking into a ton of different vests for my insulation layer but I haven't even considered getting a jacket. I already have a Marmot PreCip rain jacket but I wasn't sure if I'd want something other than a vest.

I know it'll be summer and plenty warm but I have issues staying warm.

Here are the vests I've been looking at:
Marmot Zeus Vest - 10
Marmot Baffin Vest - 8
WM Flash Vest - 3.5
Marmot Guides Vest - 15
PHD Minimus Down Vest - 9
triple zero down Antza - 7
FF Hyperion/Helios - 7.5
Skaha Down Vest - 5.5
Sherpa Vajra - 10
GoLite Beartooth - 13
GoLite Cady 2477 - 12
mont-bell U.L. thermawrap - 5.4
mont-bell alpine Light Down - 9.9

Try Cabellas. I got a down one about this time 2 years ago which compress's to the size of a water bottle. They had it on sale for $19. One of the best buys I ever made.

Happy trails.

Wags
02-14-2011, 01:48
montbell makes a tshirt shaped down thingy. a compromise b/t a vest and jacket. may be worth looking into for your senario...

travisap
02-14-2011, 12:02
I have a Capilene 2 long-sleeve top and Capilene 2 t-shirt (as well as bottoms) and a Marmot PreCip jacket.

With those other articles, any new advice?

Wags
02-14-2011, 22:33
i pack a down jacket in all conditions. ymmv

Spider
02-14-2011, 22:47
Try Cabellas. I got a down one about this time 2 years ago which compress's to the size of a water bottle. They had it on sale for $19. One of the best buys I ever made.

Happy trails.

Something like this?
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clothing/Mens-Casual-Clothing/Mens-Outerwear/Mens-Down-Insulated-Outerwear|/pc/104797080/c/104746680/sc/105548580/i/104173380/Cabelas-650-Goose-Down-Vest-150-Regular/733263.uts?destination=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId% 3D104173380%26WTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104797080%253Bc at105548580&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104797080%3Bcat105548580%3Bcat104 173380

SassyWindsor
02-14-2011, 23:09
I personally use synthetic garments, layered, with the occasional wool accessory. I have one, rarely used, down parka that really needs to be used in 0 deg F, or colder weather(no worry about down getting wet at those temps). I only wear some cotton items in the summer, but always keep a synthetic replacement at hand. Now, my sleeping bag is another thing, I have a down Western Mountaineering bag and use it over 90% of the time when backpacking. I have a synthetic NF Cat's Meow I use the rest of the time and 100% when kayaking.

Tinker
02-14-2011, 23:26
I rarely carry down in the summer. I want something I can wear without having to worry about it getting wet. I know, I know, things can get wet in the winter, too, but the extra insulation I carry during the winter is most often used only under cover (tent, tarp, shelter [no, I rarely sleep in them, but I often cook in them]). In the warmer months I'm all too aware that sudden cold snaps can happen with precipitation included, and I don't carry much extra clothing insulation. With a synthetic jacket or vest I can put it on under rainwear for those situations knowing that,if it gets wet, I can usually "wear it dry" once I get under shelter without much of a chance of hypothermia.
I often layer a fleece vest under a rain jacket.
Fleece is "low tech" in most folks' books, but, once it gets wet you can hang it up and the breeze will flow through it readily, unlike some synth. filled shelled gear I own. Fleece plus a wind shell makes a good jacket, whether you choose to go with or without the arm insulation. Also it makes a good pillow and is more durable than some of the high tech insulated clothing I own.

BrianLe
02-14-2011, 23:31
Assuming that you don't expect to need a puffy layer to walk in (the other clothing you have would be plenty for me while "on the move" with a mid-May start), I would definitely go for down over synthetic, but I might nevertheless go for a jacket rather than a vest. If you don't want the extra warmth at the beginning, good chance that you will in NH and ME.

If it were me with such a start date, I'd seriously consider the Montbell EX Light Down jacket (http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=2301344). In size large, with stuff sack, mine weighs 174g (6.1 oz). It's light enough to just carry it all the way through.

slowandlow
02-15-2011, 10:55
It is doubtful that you will need it, but the WM flash vest is the lightest option and is vey warm for the weight. I carry mine for all but winter conditions.

travisap
02-25-2011, 16:38
How warm is the Mont-bell U.L. Thermawrap Synthetic Vest? Roughly equivalent to a 600, 700 or 800 fill power warmth?

mont-bell U.L. Thermawrap vest (http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=2301403)

BrianLe
02-25-2011, 21:26
"How warm is the Mont-bell U.L. Thermawrap Synthetic Vest? Roughly equivalent to a 600, 700 or 800 fill power warmth?"

Perhaps the best way to put it in context is this BPL thread (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=18950). A bit complicated at first, but it's the only objective place I've seen to compare various garments. Note how in this thread the vest is stated as having about 75% the total warmth of the jacket, and the jacket is compared to various other garments.

I find the vest to be a great thing to use in combination with other things, given that I can wear it when walking when it's very cold. In warmer weather I don't carry it, for straight-up "just in camp" warmth I'd definitely go for a light down jacket (or vest).

johnnyblisters
02-26-2011, 10:56
Montbell jackets are the bees knees. A UL down sweater should be fine for your timeline IMO.

Kia Kaha
02-26-2011, 19:29
For me it depends on if I will be wearing the garment while hiking or "in camp". I prefer the thermawrap ul jacket while hiking because I tend to sweat...a lot and the down gets too wet and then takes too long to dry out. for camp I prefer a down piece. I rarely wear a rain shell while hiking, unless it is 50ish or below, I tend to overheat in those things no matter how "breathable" they claim to be. I prefer to just be wet and dry off at camp. I also have a precip, but usually opt for driducks.

Del Q
02-26-2011, 22:57
Merino wool tee shirts ROCK!!!

Icebreaker or Backpackinglight.com

Build from this base up............