PDA

View Full Version : REI Quarter Dome T1

Sierra Echo
02-13-2011, 19:52
http://www.rei.com/product/761891

Anyone have any experiences with these tents?

At this point its a toss up between the Quarter Dome and the TT Contrail. I just don't know which one to get!

hikerinnc
02-13-2011, 20:27
I love mine! 3lbs 3oz with titainium stakes, new stuff sack and rei ground sheet too! Some say its tight, but I'm good with it, 5'11ft for me. PLus with a 20% coupon coming aroung the corner, its only $160, before your dividend if you get one. Breathes well witch is a must for NC moutains in summer. Hard to beat that weight and that price together.

bigcranky
02-13-2011, 20:33
Well, the Contrail is half the weight. That does make something of a difference over the long haul.

People do like the REI tents. I prefer my door on the long side, which favors the REI over the Contrail, but having seen both pitched, I think the Contrail has more overall space. At least it feels more open and spacious to me. (I solved the door problem by getting a Tarptent Moment.) But the REI tents are well made and will provide good service for a long time.

johnnybgood
02-13-2011, 21:02
I have a Quarter Dome T1 and like the easy setup and durability. The 14.6 sq. feet almost feels too confining , but at 5'8 and 175lbs I have enough room with some space leftover at my feet.
Great tent ! I have had no condensation issues and it has weathered a few storms w/o so much as a drop coming in.

If you like keeping all your gear inside the tent then I wouldn't recommend the T1 unless of course you're really small.

Sierra Echo
02-13-2011, 21:20
I have a Quarter Dome T1 and like the easy setup and durability. The 14.6 sq. feet almost feels too confining , but at 5'8 and 175lbs I have enough room with some space leftover at my feet.
Great tent ! I have had no condensation issues and it has weathered a few storms w/o so much as a drop coming in.

If you like keeping all your gear inside the tent then I wouldn't recommend the T1 unless of course you're really small.

I'm 5'8 as well, but i sleep rolled up in a ball. Think I could fit my pack in?

skinewmexico
02-13-2011, 21:24
I have a T3. Good 2 person tent if you don't have to carry it far. T1 is probably a quality tent too. But heavy.

Sierra Echo
02-13-2011, 21:26
I have a T3. Good 2 person tent if you don't have to carry it far. T1 is probably a quality tent too. But heavy.

I'm thru hiking the Ga section of the AT in may. So about 90 miles if you count the approach trail.

johnnybgood
02-13-2011, 22:13
I'm 5'8 as well, but i sleep rolled up in a ball. Think I could fit my pack in?
Yes . I have no problem putting mine in the tent and sometimes making it useful , such as placing under my knees while lying on my back .

slugger
02-14-2011, 01:24
I have the Rei T1 and I'm really happy with it. I'm 5' 10" and fit quite nicely. Vestibule is plenty big. Bringing it on my 2011 Sobo.

10-K
02-14-2011, 07:44
I know this goes without saying but I just want to put it out there....

This tent is going to be your home for an extended period. Especially if you're going to be on the trail for more than a month consider what it's going to be like cramped in a tent, night after night.

I could do a weekend in a tent with "just enough" room but for anything more than a week or so I know that I'm going to need some space other than what I need to just barely cover me and my sleeping bag.

If it's even a close fit I'd seriously consider another tent or even sizing up to a 2 man tent.

skinewmexico
02-14-2011, 11:45
If it's even a close fit I'd seriously consider another tent or even sizing up to a 2 man tent.

Agree. Tent makers (and RV, and sailboat, and condo, etc) always overestimate the number of people that can comfortably use the product. I'd never use my T3 with 3 people, unless the other 2 were family members and we were desperate.

Sierra Echo
02-14-2011, 18:26
I sent the link to my dad to get his opinion, as he has many and loves to express them. He thinks i should go to walmart.com and get a wenzel. I kid you not! Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever used a wenzel?

FamilyGuy
02-14-2011, 18:32
Buy the Contrail - it has about twice the floor space for much less weight.

Red Beard
02-14-2011, 22:01
I sent the link to my dad to get his opinion, as he has many and loves to express them. He thinks i should go to walmart.com and get a wenzel. I kid you not! Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever used a wenzel?

You'll want to kill someone after trying to wrestle with the fly on that Wenzel. I have a Big Agnes, Fly Creek UL2 now, and it's a nice and roomy tent for one person.

If you do wind up with a Tarp Tent, seam seal the dickens out of it. Also, keep in mind a Tarp Tent isn't exactly waterproof. Don't get me wrong, they're good quality tents, but don't expect to stay bone dry in a major downpour.