PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else's parents that don't care

Special-K
02-13-2011, 19:54
So this is a bit of a venting frustration/question. I'm just wondering how many fellow hikers on here have friends family, and or parents that....just don't really care that they are hiking the A.T. I've been doing packing and researching and getting multiple packages from places. And my Dad hasn't spoken one word about it to me. All he knows is that I'm hiking the A.T. And if I bring up the subject he drops it as fast as I brought it up. I know he loves me, he's my dad, But I feel like he's upset that I chose to leave a good job and follow through with something I love more than anything. And my mom just doesn't want to admit that I'm doing this. Just wondering if anyone else has has or has experienced this kind of tone from family.

mweinstone
02-13-2011, 20:05
bluff em. say you aint hikin cause its upsetting them. then sit back and let them beg you to hike. wait till they tell you to hike, and hike.

shelterbuilder
02-13-2011, 20:06
So this is a bit of a venting frustration/question. I'm just wondering how many fellow hikers on here have friends family, and or parents that....just don't really care that they are hiking the A.T. I've been doing packing and researching and getting multiple packages from places. And my Dad hasn't spoken one word about it to me. All he knows is that I'm hiking the A.T. And if I bring up the subject he drops it as fast as I brought it up. I know he loves me, he's my dad, But I feel like he's upset that I chose to leave a good job and follow through with something I love more than anything. And my mom just doesn't want to admit that I'm doing this. Just wondering if anyone else has has or has experienced this kind of tone from family.

Could it be that your folks are letting their own fears (for their child's safety, for your future, for your "throwing away" any hope of a job in a particularly bad economic environment) stand in the way of connecting with your joy in making this trek? As a parent, I know that I would be concerned for my son's future if he was to embark on a trip like this...even though my own concerns wouldn't keep me from discussing it with him. (But every parent - every person - is different.) Of course, since the AT and the backcountry have been important to me since before HE came along, I would at least have a frame of reference - one that, perhaps, your parents do not.

Don't cut them out - even after you start your trip. Keep writing, talking, calling. At some point, I suspect that the reasons for their present actions will become clearer to you - and at that point, you may be able to start REALLY communicating again.

Good luck - with your parents AND your trip!

Big Dawg
02-13-2011, 20:09
My situation is different than yours, but similar in the fact that a family member seems to "care less" about my interest in my backpacking trips. I've learned to deal with it. I've been married for 20 years, and have a wife who is not interested at all in my trips, hearing about them, seeing pics, etc. It used to hurt, but now I just deal with it. I have another friend who backpacks, and even though his wife doesn't, she's always interested in how the trip went, viewing pics, etc. I guess it's flip of a coin regarding who'll be interested. In my experience, people like your mom & dad,,, and my wife, just don't get it. They don't realize the awesomeness that we experience. Their loss. Just get on the trail and immerse yourself in the culture that "get's it",, and relish in it!! :sun

Roland
02-13-2011, 20:09
Don't expect your family and friends to share your passion, before or after the hike.

As for your parents, well they've been supporting you since you were born. And now that you are old enough to start providing for yourself, you're choosing to leave a job to go play for 6 months. They may view your decision as irresponsible.

Buy them a trail guide, so they can follow your progress. They'll come around.

Gipsy
02-13-2011, 20:14
Maybe you could try to approach it from a different angle. Tell them you want to do it now, before you step off deeper into the pit of debt... aka the American dream (before you have the huge mortgage, student loans, mini-van payments, credit card bills, the 9-to-5 job, the 2.5 kids, and an ex-wife)

Or you could say you are going deep into the forest to join a hippie rainbow commune!

All parents want kids to be successful in life, even if they say, "I don't care as long as they are happy". It's a bit of validation proclaiming "You did a great job as a parent".

Maybe ask them what did they want to do when they were 20. This could give you a little more insight to their stance on things. My dad is one of those 3 option guys. After high school there is only work, college or military.

.....and if all else fails. Its easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission.

Big Dawg
02-13-2011, 20:22
.....and if all else fails. Its easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission.

you can say that again brother!!

Sierra Echo
02-13-2011, 20:30
Who cares what your parents think? You are too old to be living at home!

HiKen2011
02-13-2011, 20:33
Do it now before you have other obligations, best time imho. They'll be more supportive once you're on your way!!!:sun

Graywolf
02-13-2011, 20:52
My parents, my friends, family, dont give a damn about my trips or anything I do for that matter..

Makes it easy on my, as I dont give a damn about theirs either..

I say Go Hike!! Do it for YOU, not THEM..

BitBucket
02-13-2011, 20:54
It's always tough when a child doesn't quite go in the direction that a parent thinks is best.

I can remember that when my son was finishing up his first year at college, he wanted to take the summer off and hike across Europe. Never mind the fact that he had never done any back packing before, and never mind that he didn't have a clue about living overseas, he was dead set on doing it.

He accumulated all his stuff, we put him on a plane in Birmingham AL with nothing more than a loaded 80L pack and off he went. He went to about a dozen countries and saw more that summer than I have seen in my entire life.

The next summer he spent it in South America, the summer after that in the Middle East. After he got his undergraduate degree, he went to Tunisia for a year on a State Department grant. The next year he went back to the Middle East again

Looking back, it was hard for us to let go, but quite honestly, it was the best thing he ever did. He's now fluent in multiple foreign languages and is about a year away from getting his law degree at NYU.

Do I think he's through traveling - heck no...he's just getting started...

Do your research, get prepared, go on your hike, have a good time, live off the land. You'll learn more than you would ever learn in your first job.

Keep your parents informed and show them over time that this was a good thing that you chose to do.

Good luck on your hike....

Roland
02-13-2011, 20:56
Nice post, BitBucket.

Blissful
02-13-2011, 21:05
It's good you're in communication with them and I sure hope you hang in there with them and give them a chance to get used to the idea. Don't give up on them even if they may be trying some of a silent treatment right now. You know already they love you. You've got a good head and heart here and want them involved, and that's great (wish my 20 yr old son wanted us involved in his life, but he's doing the exact opposite of you. Won't communicate or involve us in his life at all). Anyway, stay the course and like was suggested, give them a call once in a while, give them an itinerary, and allow them to be a part of your hike.

LordoftheWings
02-13-2011, 21:33
Well said BitBucket.
I won't pretend to to quote from DSM IV or give you a lecture on nature vs. nurture. I will tell you from a 36 year old males perspective on a few things I did wrong as a kid.
At 20 years old, I thought my parents were the least intelligent people on the planet. I thought they didn't know or care about me sneaking out, drinking all night, bringing home women of questionable character and quite a few other destructive things I was doing. This made me feel quite a bit like you do now, except I wasn't capable of thinking beyond myself at that age. (kudos to you for even thinking of them) I grew angry and distant at their lack of attention. I got to the point that I would do the opposite of whatever they said just to be spiteful. One day when I was 22, I got up for work and my father asked me if I wanted to go hang out and go to the shooting range together with him. (he was asking me to skip work which he would never do). I played it off and told him, why do you care now? You never asked me to go any other day? I pretended like I didn't want to go, when I wanted to go more than anything else in the world. We had an argument which I will spare you my ignorance. I didn't speak with him for 2 days. The third day I asked him if he wanted to go on the weekend. He walked away and just waved his hand goodbye. I went to work angry. How dare he walk away? I got a phone call later that day at work that my father passed away from a sudden and massive heart attack. We had his funeral. I was still very angry only at this time I was dealing with the anger part of losing a loved one. My mother and I sat down and talked for hours. I asked her why they didn't care? Why didn't they intervene if they didn't approve? She said simply, we wanted you to find your own way. I felt like crap when I heard her answer. I asked her, "if dad was so caring? why did he walk away from me the other day?" She said, he walked away and waved because he didn't want you to see him cry.
He wanted so badly to have a relationship with me and I pushed it away. Please don't make the mistakes I did. Don't assume they don't care. They are probably scared out of their minds but want you to follow your dreams. Open up an avenue of conversation, the rest is up to you my friend.

Special-K
02-13-2011, 21:41
Jeeze LordoftheWings, I'm sorry for what happened. You and everyone else who posted made things a lot easier to deal with. I'm definitely going to try a lot harder to talk to them about it. Once again, thanks!

Camping Dave
02-13-2011, 21:41
You're 20, and that's too old to live at home and mooch off your folks especially if you have no job. Man up and get out of the house. Hit the trail if that's what you want.

Gipsy
02-13-2011, 21:42
At 20 years old, I thought my parents were the least intelligent people on the planet.

Its amazing, the older I got, the smarter my parents got!

Camping Dave
02-13-2011, 21:45
Belay my last. I just saw the post where you said you got your nickname cuz you're not so bright. Do what your parents say.

Special-K
02-13-2011, 21:45
HAHA! camping dave, Don't worry about me mooching. I haven't mooched off them much. I moved back into my parents place 2 weeks ago. I had my own apartment for 2 years.

LordoftheWings
02-13-2011, 21:47
You're welcome my friend. Take it from a Firefighter/EMT. Life is short, too short to not to open up those doors, make those relationships and say what needs to be said. There is nothing more manly than doing the right thing, I don't care what anyone says. Never leave anyone you love with any question in their mind that you love them. You may not get another chance.

Papa D
02-13-2011, 21:54
Go Hike Special K - Plan well, be smart, stay safe, read, work on your journal, make it count, stay in touch and be nice, but stick to your plan and go hike - you'll be so happy and thankful for your accomplishment and, in the end, so will your parents - trust me. I did my thru at 18. I promise ...... go hike the trail.

swjohnsey
02-13-2011, 21:54
My mom bought me an 185 mph sportbike. I think she is tryin' to get rid of me.

TallShark
02-13-2011, 22:03
before you step off deeper into the pit of debt... aka the American dream (before you have the huge mortgage, student loans, mini-van payments, credit card bills, the 9-to-5 job, the 2.5 kids, and an ex-wife):banana bwaahaha, that deserves a banana... I dont want any of that except for the .5 of a kid, you know the type of kid that's only around sometimes in the summer to cut the grass. ooh or the mini-van, those sliding doors are crafty. oh and to the OP, don't let your parents ruin your trip, they'll be there when you get back.

NCarolinaHiker
02-13-2011, 22:32
My parents aren't really supportive unless you're doing something they would do (read: nothing I would do). So I understand.

Possible good news for you is that it went away with age. Best of luck though, it's definitely frustrating and stressful and sometimes hurtful, but don't ever let it keep you from doing what you want to do. No matter how little support you get, you don't need it from anywhere outside yourself.

Cookerhiker
02-13-2011, 22:38
Special K, I encourage you to continue planning your hike while also trying to reach out to your parents. Show them your itinerary, provide them with on-line sources like the ATC and TrailJournals.com, keep talking and trying to engage them. Promise to send them post cards and to phone when you have the chance.

It sounds to me like they're in denial, that doing a 5-6 month 2,200 mile hike is so far out the realm of their understanding that they can't imagine you're actually going to do it. And such reaction would not be atypical of those who aren't oriented to the outdoors in general or long-distance hiking in particular.

As the time for your departure draws closer, they'll have to come around one way or another because reality is you're gone - off on the Trail.

flatfeet
02-13-2011, 22:55
My problem is my girlfriend. I live on the other side of the planet right now.(ESL teacher Korea) And she's basically told me she doesn't like the idea of me playing for 6 months. And not to be surprised if she is seeing someone else when I come back. Part of me is frustrated but part of me thinks if she doesn't realize this is a lifelong dream then she aint the girl for me.

Gipsy
02-13-2011, 22:58
My problem is my girlfriend. I live on the other side of the planet right now.(ESL teacher Korea) And she's basically told me she doesn't like the idea of me playing for 6 months. And not to be surprised if she is seeing someone else when I come back. Part of me is frustrated but part of me thinks if she doesn't realize this is a lifelong dream then she aint the girl for me.

Oh, so she can go around the world but you cant go to the trail? Tell here the same thing... Don't be surprised if you're seeing someone else when she gets back!

zombiegrad
02-13-2011, 23:39
My husband has been slightly antagonistic toward me traveling the AT by myself for a couple of months, but I just do my best to quell his concerns with information. I think people initially react negatively to activities they don't "get." You just gotta put your foot down and say (to yourself, others) "I'm doing this." Be mature about it and cover your bases. I think disapproving family members are generally concerned about our wellbeing; it's our job to educate them as needed and correct any misunderstandings they have about what it'll be like on the trail.

Lets not forget to be open to the possibility that our family members' concerns are justified! We may be getting over our heads somehow... but if we're going about things smartly and within our means, this shouldn't be the case.

You know some people may never get it, but others may come around when they see you successfully pursuing something that matters to you and that is having a positive impact on you. Hiking the AT is unconventional accomplishment; some people might not see all the benefits, but we know there are tons. Regardless, follow your own path judiciously!

Special-K
02-13-2011, 23:59
I appreciate all the posts and advice everyone has given. And the more I think about it, the more it does make sense that my father isn't on the same boat as I am. He is much more of a business man than anything. He lives for sales, and his numbers are his baby. And I do feel that he gets disappointed that I'm planning on hiking and traveling, and not being in the "corporate world" like himself and my brother. But I'm hoping that the more I get through the trail the more he'll realize that this is something that makes me happy and makes me love life. I'm definitely not going to get aggravated at my parents but like most suggested, try to help them understand that hiking is it. Hiking is my 9-5 job that I love.
So I hope to hear more from everyone. Thanks again!!

Marta
02-14-2011, 08:24
A lot of people will NEVER understand the passion for hiking. However, a funny thing will happen while you're doing it. People will ask you parents about you. They'll say, "He's hiking the Appalachian Trail." And a whole bunch of very unlikely people--doctors, lawyers, preachers, business executives, plumbers...--will say, "Wow, that's my dream! I want to do that some day." Your parents still won't understand, but they will become a little prouder of you.

In the interim, while you prepare, try just being matter-of-fact. I know you can hardly think about anything else but your hike, but try not to talk about it constantly to them. Ask about their lives, family members, friends. Just communicate the most important information, and maybe give them a guidebook or one of the strip maps of the Trail. The strip map is good because they can follow your progress.

Good luck on your hike!

YohonPetro
02-14-2011, 11:42
From a young age my parents didn't push me towards the AT, but from the couple over-nighters my dad took me on, I could feel and understand the love of the Trail. When I was 16 and mentioned that I would like to hike it, the next Christmas I received a back-pack, a Thru-hikers planning book, and other camping stuff. Obviously they wanted me out on the Trail, probably to live vicariously. I am glad I didn't make the attempt then, as I wouldn't have completed it. Now though! Not much can stop me from embarking and completing. :cool:

wornoutboots
02-14-2011, 12:15

It seems very common!! 90+% of ppl have bought into the "Normal Life" it's sad to us but to each their own. A good example of this is Chris Mccandless's Into The Wild Story. Enjoy your hike & go into it with an open mind! It should be cool for you (challenging at times) to see how the world around you is effected but First & Foremost how your Life is effected!

chief
02-14-2011, 14:29
I appreciate all the posts and advice everyone has given. And the more I think about it, the more it does make sense that my father isn't on the same boat as I am. He is much more of a business man than anything. He lives for sales, and his numbers are his baby. And I do feel that he gets disappointed that I'm planning on hiking and traveling, and not being in the "corporate world" like himself and my brother. But I'm hoping that the more I get through the trail the more he'll realize that this is something that makes me happy and makes me love life. I'm definitely not going to get aggravated at my parents but like most suggested, try to help them understand that hiking is it. Hiking is my 9-5 job that I love.
So I hope to hear more from everyone. Thanks again!!
So, Special-K, tell us about all your long-distance hiking experience. I mean are you really sure it is "something you most love to do" or it's "the 9-5 job you love"? Could it be your dad has heard it all before?

chief
02-14-2011, 14:45
In addition (I'm on a roll), could it be your dad is a little disappointed that one of the first ways you choose to facilitate "your dream" is move back in with mom/dad?

jlo
02-14-2011, 15:12
Could it be that your folks are letting their own fears (for their child's safety, for your future, for your "throwing away" any hope of a job in a particularly bad economic environment) stand in the way of connecting with your joy in making this trek? As a parent, I know that I would be concerned for my son's future if he was to embark on a trip like this...even though my own concerns wouldn't keep me from discussing it with him. (But every parent - every person - is different.) Of course, since the AT and the backcountry have been important to me since before HE came along, I would at least have a frame of reference - one that, perhaps, your parents do not.

Don't cut them out - even after you start your trip. Keep writing, talking, calling. At some point, I suspect that the reasons for their present actions will become clearer to you - and at that point, you may be able to start REALLY communicating again.

Good luck - with your parents AND your trip!

I totally agree with shelterbuilder here. They love you and are probably just really worried and know they'll miss you, so they don't want to talk about it. My Dad's the same way :)

Best thing to do: When it comes up or you want to talk about it, talk to them about it (and don't get mad at them!) Give your parents a detailed schedule as much as you can. Give them a map of the trail, where you might be when and a way to keep in touch with you, either e-mail, cell phone, and keep in touch with them while hiking.

I've taken lots of trips and on one trip to the UK, some terrorists blew up a subway station. I was out of view of the news, etc. and so didn't call home for about 2 days after it happened. My mom was so mad, she said I could never leave the States again! (I was 28 at the time :) ) But after talking it out, all was well and my parents support my travels now.

Tenderheart
02-14-2011, 16:43
My dad thought that I was crazy until his death in 2007. When I left for my thru hike in 2000, he simply said "Don't do anything that will make our family any smaller". My stepmother is still very much alive and still thinks I'm crazy for running every day and wanting to thru hike again. Maybe she's right. You just have to do what works for you and hope that they will understand. In today's society, a person wanting to walk for 2000 miles in the mountains wearing a backpack is pretty uncommon, to say the least. I think you're pretty extraordinary to even want such a thing. I''ll bet your parents do too.

litefoot 2000

Sassafras Lass
02-14-2011, 16:57

My mother acted as your dad is acting when I was preparing to get married :( But she now sees how in love my husband and I are and is thankful that I'm in a great marriage :)

You're not dying or moving to Pluto, for God's sake. You're taking a long hike in the woods, an adventure, which will change you physically and mentally. Keep up the excitement and talk about your wishes for the trail and what you hope to accomplish, and then send them postcards home.

Ignore the Debbie Downers of the world, even if they're family.

For what it's worth, my husband's sister is vehemently against our hike and talks down to us about it, as if we're starting a cocaine or hooker habit. Just ignore and go kick @ss.

kayak karl
02-14-2011, 17:15
my father isn't on the same boat as I am. He is much more of a business man than anything. He lives for sales, and his numbers are his baby.
those number got him the house you just moved back in to. he's such a jerk:rolleyes:

WalkingUSA
02-14-2011, 18:18
The problem is not with your parents, but with you it seems. Why do you need their validation in order to enjoy your time on the trail?

crazystick
02-14-2011, 20:07
I say you sit down with your dad and have a man to man conversation with him, try to find some even ground on the matter, express to him why you want to do it, how long you have wanted this, how its important to you, how tough and hard it is and how devoted one has to be to finish a thru hike.
Tell him, you want to do this now, because after you want to really move forward with starting your career/school,
I am sure there are things he wished he did before he got all the responsibilities he has now.

K-3
02-14-2011, 20:25
Interesting this topic came up. My mother is too involved in my upcoming thru-hike and my father seems entirely disinterested. My mom I think wants to experience this adventure vicariously through me and given that she physically would be unable to enjoy even a short backpacking trip, I can understand her enthusiasm. It is a bit annoying as she has gone so far as to make a wall map to track my progress and now has the family making all sorts of wagers and betting pools that relate to my thru-hike. For example, how many days it will take me, how much weight I'll lose, how long my hair will be when I finish, etc. I initially planned to take a train down the eastern seaboard to Atlanta and then work my way up to Amicalola State Park but she insisted on driving me down for a mother-son bonding experience. All and all, though I appreciate her enthusiasm, its become a bit much. My father on the other hand clearly disapproves though he'd never say so. He thinks I should be out looking for a job and working despite the fact that I recently came off of active duty and having had little success finding work can use this adventure to take a break for everyday life and square away my priorities.

jerseydave
02-14-2011, 20:38
When I was 8 I thought my parents knew everything.
When I was 18 I was convinced they knew nothing.
It's amazing how ignorant people can get in 10 years time.

Things aren't always what they seem.
There are 2 sides to every situation.
Try to put yourself in their shoes and attempt to view it from their angle.
There are many reasons they could be appearing to have no interest.

Try asking them directly.
Conversation is a good thing.

PS: 20 is not to old to live at home

Johnny Thunder
02-14-2011, 20:45
i hiked with my folks' full support. but, i think my father had some apprehension for me not having a plan to come back to. he's a career guy. a planner. but, strange thing happened. he retired while i was somewhere in virginia. so, by the time we hiked ny together his perspective on the work/life balance was WAY different.

it's tough to see virtue outside of our own paths. especially, when one way seems "easier" than the route we've chosen. right now, i have a hard time looking at being career-oriented as virtuous. that doesn't mean it lacks merit.

Special-K
02-14-2011, 21:57
The problem is not with your parents, but with you it seems. Why do you need their validation in order to enjoy your time on the trail?

I don't NEED anyones validation. It would just be a bit nicer to be more interactive with them. Ever since I brought it up conversations have been short and slim.

Wise Old Owl
02-14-2011, 22:21
S-k You are mis-reading the whole thing, They care very much and taking a back seat, to your driving. Grab a DVD and show them the trail, get them excited because you are about to do something with your life. Ask tehm to meet you at points on the trail... They are confused and bewildered, it is not that "they don't care"

sbhikes
02-14-2011, 22:31
I don't know what I can say to make you feel better, Special-K. My father expressed no enthusiasm when I decided to go to college. College, for crying out loud! Not a thru-hike, not a vacation, but College!

You see, I went to college right out of high school and he thought the only valid major was electronic engineering but I'm not gifted or interested in that so I majored in a science that seemed interesting to make him happy. I got a 2 year degree, couldn't get any good jobs, spent 5 years at minimum wage and decided to go get a BA. He was NOT HAPPY. Not only was I "avoiding responsibility" by not working I was majoring in something he considered complete hogwash. He was very unsupportive and derisive in a silent-treatment sort of way.

At one point he offered to pay for my education if I a) changed majors and b) ran all my classes by him before registration. Forget it! I'll pay for it all myself. And that's what I did. I applied for grants and only had to borrow $3000. Grants paid for everything because I studied my ass off and got straight As.

At graduation never said he was proud of me or anything. When I was making the same salary he did when I was growing up he never said anything positive. I'm a computer programmer now and he's not interested.

I've figure it out. He's actually jealous. He never finished college but both his brothers are geniuses with more than one PhD. It's not about me, it's about him. He feels like a failure and can't stand to see me succeed only because of how it make him feel about himself.

So who cares what the 'rents think. They have issues. Have some compassion but go and Live Your Life. It's the only life you're going to get. It's my personal feeling that it's a cruel god that put me here for such a short time with so many beautiful things to see and so little time to see them. I'm going to do and see and experience as much as I can while I'm here. If I die broke with a shopping cart under a bridge and that makes my dad wince in his grave, I don't care because I will have LIVED.

TheYoungOne
02-14-2011, 22:50
Special K, consider it a good thing. The could simple tell you NO you cannot go, or you are stupid to leave your job in a bad economy, or you can get killed, but instead they are "avoiding" the conversation.

I love the AT but if my now 12 year old daughter was 20 years old and said she wanted to thru hike the AT , I would be scared to death.

For a parent I think Thru hiking the AT ranks somewhere between I'm going travel around Europe with friends for a few weeks, and I'm joining the Army.

Walkintom
02-14-2011, 22:55
Here's my take:

Your parents do care and they feel that you are making a mistake. They are also trying to restrain themselves from constantly telling you that it is a mistake.

This could be because they feel that you are entitled to make and learn from your own decisions or just that they don't feel that talking about it will change your mind.

If they didn't care then they would not have such observable subject avoidance.

Carbo
02-14-2011, 22:55
I don't NEED anyones validation. It would just be a bit nicer to be more interactive with them. Ever since I brought it up conversations have been short and slim.

SK hang in there. They are interested. It may be they just don't know what to ask, or talk about, because they know so little about the adventure you are about to undertake. You can't expect many people to share your excitement about this hike. Few people on the "outside" understand how truly possessed we get. Keep a trail journal that they can access, mention them in your writing. it will work miracles.

Good luck!

Special-K
02-17-2011, 21:46
thanks for the input everyone!!!

Jim Adams
02-18-2011, 15:02
My parents were totally behind me but my sister didn't talk to me for 2 years...said she couldn't believe that I would throw away a year of my life like that.
JUSTICE!
I am over weight but stress doesn't bother me and my B/P is around 116/54 and resting pulse is 56.
She was just at her doctors because of headaches, high blood pressure, stomach ulcers....he told her to start walking!

geek