PDA

View Full Version : smart wool vs. icebreaker

Megapixel
02-13-2011, 19:59
anyone had any experience with both in relation to their merino wool line, specifically their microweight t-shirts?

Roland
02-13-2011, 20:01
Own 'em both. Like 'em both.

The best is the one you can buy at the deepest discount.

Megapixel
02-13-2011, 20:06
Own 'em both. Like 'em both.

The best is the one you can buy at the deepest discount.

so to put it another way if i'm gonna buy one with my rei dividend and they are both 60 bucks, take the color i like best, not the brand?

Roland
02-13-2011, 20:20
so to put it another way if i'm gonna buy one with my rei dividend and they are both 60 bucks, take the color i like best, not the brand?

Sure, if color is that important to ya.

I've never paid $60 for a lightweight T-shirt. If I were you, I'd shop around. Keep an eye on SAC and eBay. If REI doesn't discount merino T-shirts, use your dividend for something else.

bigcranky
02-13-2011, 20:28
Own both, like both. I am partial to Icebreaker for no discernible reason.

Del Q
02-13-2011, 20:29
Check out backpacking light - their ultralight merino wool tee shirt I like the best. Less $$$, much lighter.

Megapixel
02-13-2011, 20:31
When you've earned points all year and have a dividend to complete the gear list for your thru hike, cash is something better spent on trail, despite the pricing... at least in my situation.

thanks Big Cranky for the 2nd on the fact that they are equal...

thanks Roland for your help... color isn't really important, just an example.

Much help here deciding.

Roland
02-13-2011, 20:34
When you've earned points all year and have a dividend to complete the gear list for your thru hike, cash is something better spent on trail, despite the pricing... at least in my situation.

Be warned. You will be spoiled. You'll never want a synthetic T-shirt again.

Enjoy your hike and your stink-free shirt!

10-K
02-13-2011, 20:51
I've never met an article of merino wool clothing that I didn't like no matter who made it.

If you can buy it made out of merino wool that's what I have.

handlebar
02-13-2011, 21:01
I like the way their "Bodyfit 150" fits me and I like how it feels. I wore it on the CDT last year. I've also worn the lightweight Smartwool, but prefer the Icebreaker.

bigcranky
02-14-2011, 09:16

Exactly. Love merino, won't wear anything else for a base layer.

HeartFire
02-14-2011, 09:21
Well I have found that icebreaker is more itchy than smartwool. This was the mid weight long sleeve shirts

Red Hat
02-14-2011, 11:17
wore smartwool all year last year (short sleeve and long sleeve) the short sleeve is on its last legs and pretty holey.. but the longsleeve has lots of life left (probably wore the longsleeve less....)

RWK
02-15-2011, 16:04
Just saw that Icebreaker has end of season 25% off sale going on.

rp1790
02-15-2011, 16:31
I own both and a MacPac, the MacPac (New Zealand brand) is the softest and cheapest by far, otherwise, if it's merino there's no noticeable difference that I can feel.

adamkrz
02-15-2011, 16:38
Own Both, I really like the smartwool the best.

Dogwood
02-15-2011, 18:35
I have both company's light wt merino wool T shirts. I prefer the Smartwool Micro Wt over the lightest wt icebreaker top based on fit alone - I think the Smartwool is a bit better fit FOR ME - although I think the stitching is better on the Icebreaker which makes it more durable.

One word of caution with the micro wt merino wool tops no matter who manufactures them - THEY REQUIRE A BIT OF EXTRA CARE WHEN WASHING or they can be easily damaged or have a short life expectancy. For example, while in town washing hiking clothing I WILL NOT place my merino micro wt tees in with my heavier non-wool clothing. Too many heavy items in a washer mixed in with light wt merino wool clothing and the merino can stretch or be pulled. I will not wash my merino wool tees with other articles of gear with zippers, snaps, etc because the micro wt merino wool tees tend to get snagged and pulled under that scenario. I also inspect both the inside of the washers and dryers for little nicks, burrs, and sharp spots because these too can catch the merino wool yarns and make your expensive merino wool tee into a rag in the fisrt wash/dry!

10-K
02-15-2011, 18:52
One word of caution with the micro wt merino wool tops no matter who manufactures them - THEY REQUIRE A BIT OF EXTRA CARE WHEN WASHING or they can be easily damaged or have a short life expectancy. ]

I carefully washed my merino wool t-shirts at the Stratton Motel and the maid did me a favor and put them in the dryer - on high heat.

They shrunk a bit to say the least....

Enic
02-16-2011, 09:47
I prefer my IceBreaker to the smart wool, but also find it a tiny bit scratchy. I love wool for everything, in all its forms, and love big scratchy sweaters and blankets though. They are both soft, and stink free. Even though the Tshirts appear the same, I'd go with Icebreaker.

liteweight
02-20-2011, 21:15
Wool is the answer. I just figured it out. With a synthetic I would stink within a mile. I picked up a couple of smartwool long sleeve lightweight on SAC, hiked a couple of days with no stench and the merino wool felt great.

Megapixel
03-09-2011, 13:20
well i bought the smartwool microweight t and two days later pilling all over the back... defect or to be expected?

The Cleaner
03-09-2011, 14:01
Sure, if color is that important to ya.

I've never paid $60 for a lightweight T-shirt. If I were you, I'd shop around. Keep an eye on SAC and eBay. If REI doesn't discount merino T-shirts, use your dividend for something else.
I got a great merino t-shirt,new from E-bay for 33$...:)

Thrasher
03-09-2011, 15:10
well i bought the smartwool microweight t and two days later pilling all over the back... defect or to be expected?
Is this from your shoulder straps?
Probably to be expected. I had the same shirt and wore it from Springer to Manchester Center VT. It had several large holes where the shoulder straps were and down the back. Probably lasted 800 miles before getting any holes.

Icebreaker makes a good shirt too. I buy both smartwool and icebreaker.

I know someone that tried ibex shirts twice and had holes in them the second day.
I like ibex, but haven't tried them backpacking.

Dogwood
03-09-2011, 18:46
Add Ibex, Minus 33, and IoBio to the list of decent merino wool clothing. I've yet to have personal experience with IoBio but from what I've heard from outfitters in the know they have the softest merno wool .

PisgahWorks
11-02-2011, 11:49
FFR, we make merino clothing that is enjoyed by many outdoor folks. We buy the softest, highest quality merino yarn available. We keep a small footprint. Making 3-4 sweaters per day. Although many different users enjoy our products, so far, only some bike stores in AVL carry our goods; Pro-Bikes, BioWheels, Motion Makers. You're welcome to call them and get some feedback. Additionally, you're welcome to call Mast General Store, Black Dome, and Diamond Brand to find out when they will be carrying our goods. To reward yourself $20, enter this code when you purchase: <em>athikers2011</em>.<br><br>Enjoy the trail, on and off.

Jim Adams
11-03-2011, 01:06
love both...will never use synthetic again but both in light weight are fragile...careful while putting them on and taking off...will rip easily...but work great!

geek

Papa D
11-03-2011, 07:52
Icebreaker is made by a great company - I like Smartwool socks and Icebreaker sweaters

Tipi Walter
11-03-2011, 08:17

Enjoy your hike and your stink-free shirt!

I like the way their "Bodyfit 150" fits me and I like how it feels. I wore it on the CDT last year. I've also worn the lightweight Smartwool, but prefer the Icebreaker.

Yes, I prefer my merino t-shirts and especially the Icebreaker 150 weight Tees. The Smartwool Tees aren't bad either.

http://www.trailspace.com/assets/5/0/c/738572/TRIP-126-376.jpg
Here's an example of Icebreaker zipneck tops with the sleeve thumbholes. I use two IB tops, a large 260 weight top under an extra large 320 weight top, as shown. Sandwiched together they form my standard winter midlayer in all conditions. The Smartwool midweight tops are thinner and lighter, so I prefer the heavier and thicker Icebreakers for this function. And yes, Icebreaker 320 tops are heavy.

http://www.trailspace.com/assets/8/f/a/739578/abdb540f8cdb1caa46ca835fb7f23_3201.jpg
And for those interested, here's a fotog of a Smartwool t-shirt over a lightweight silk turtleneck baselayer. Both the Smartwool and IB Tees are nearly the same, the IB perhaps slightly thicker. Compared to synthetic tees, I've found the merino tees to not last as long due to rub holes, usually in the back.