PDA

View Full Version : Northern section of trail in SNP

earlyriser26
02-13-2011, 20:27
Going out next weekend and hiking the 17 miles south of 522 at Front Royal. What is the footpath like through that section? Rocks? Any other info of interest?

Blissful
02-13-2011, 21:18
Well you have an ascent into the park but good footpath, nice view from Compton Peak, etc. Fort Windham rocks is off the trail, I hear its an interesting rock formation but I have not seen it. If you plan to stay within the park, you need to self register at the station right on the trail and pick up a back country camping permit.

johnnybgood
02-13-2011, 21:52
Some rocks at Tom Floyd and on the ascent where the AT climbs sobo from VA 602. The trail leading to Compton Gap is well graded though and rock free.

earlyriser26
02-14-2011, 06:13
Well you have an ascent into the park but good footpath, nice view from Compton Peak, etc. Fort Windham rocks is off the trail, I hear its an interesting rock formation but I have not seen it. If you plan to stay within the park, you need to self register at the station right on the trail and pick up a back country camping permit.
just doing a 17 mile northbound day hike on saturday from hogback to front royal. Do you have to register for a day hike?

Front Royal Mike
02-14-2011, 07:04
South side of hogback,gentle and few rocks however the descent on n side is somewhat steep and rocky with several switchbacks.The view from the hang glider launch area on hogback is really nice.Descent on n side of compton peak is rocky after crossing s. drive go about .2 miles to go left to Fort Wyndom Rocks(worth the short walk)or right down .3 miles to a spring,look carefully for ruins on r just before spring there is a dinner plate size piece of an old stovetop there (Dove).Trail from S Drive to boundary is wide,flat and rock free.1/2 m of rocks just n of tom floyd then good trail to 522.You might see snow or ice at higher elevations and icy sections where the trail is packed by foot traffic or heavily shaded

Front Royal Mike
02-14-2011, 07:08
Oh I forgot to add,no registration needed for day hiking

Vadayhiker
02-14-2011, 12:06
Since you are heading north you will miss the sobo climb up to Tom Floyd Shelter, so this is the better way to go. The ascent up North Marshall is very nice and try to scramble out on the rocks a little to the right of the trail, this is a good time of the year to do it. You'll pass through some old orchards between the Marshalls and Compton Peak. With 17 miles, you may want to skip the east view on Compton, but the west view is worth the effort. Fort Windham Rocks are nothing special IMHO, Possums Rest at the edge of the park offers a nice view last view to the north before the descent to 522. As stated above, the trad is very good here and the 17 miles should not be an issue.

earlyriser26
02-14-2011, 17:00
Since you are heading north you will miss the sobo climb up to Tom Floyd Shelter, so this is the better way to go. The ascent up North Marshall is very nice and try to scramble out on the rocks a little to the right of the trail, this is a good time of the year to do it. You'll pass through some old orchards between the Marshalls and Compton Peak. With 17 miles, you may want to skip the east view on Compton, but the west view is worth the effort. Fort Windham Rocks are nothing special IMHO, Possums Rest at the edge of the park offers a nice view last view to the north before the descent to 522. As stated above, the trad is very good here and the 17 miles should not be an issue.
Start time could be an issue, but I will have my headlamp with me. I love a good night hike.

Front Royal Mike
02-14-2011, 18:44
You might want to check with SNP personel,sometimes I have to wait for them to open the gate at 8 am (I think).I believe they close it at 5 pm as well,getting back to your car could be tricky unless you are dropped off at Hogback.

earlyriser26
02-14-2011, 18:58
You might want to check with SNP personel,sometimes I have to wait for them to open the gate at 8 am (I think).I believe they close it at 5 pm as well,getting back to your car could be tricky unless you are dropped off at Hogback.
Wow, thanks for the info. I was going to enter the park about 6:30 am. If I can't get in until 8 I would be starting about 9 and that would be late. My wife is going to shuttle me as a valentines gift, so no problem on exit.

Front Royal Mike
02-14-2011, 19:28
Oops, my bad .I just called the park info #,the closings are during hunting season and that is now over.You should be able to go whenever you like as long as they dont close the road for weather(not likely this week) the park info line is 540-999-3500 happy hiking! Sorry for the misinformation
http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/hours.htm

earlyriser26
02-14-2011, 19:51
Thanks, I am old and fat so I need most of the day to do 17 miles. wish i was going on friday, much warmer than saturday. looks like sun will be out. Hell, I would go if it was 15 below. A bad day on the trail beats a good day most other places:sun

restless
02-14-2011, 20:50
The gate is open all night now, weather permitting, which I dont think will be an issue. I was out on Dickey Ridge today and there was still a bit of ice on the trail, along with a lot of mud. The ice is melting from the trail, but slowly. With the colder temps expected the next couple of days, I would plan on ice still being on the AT. had a lot of wind at the higher elevations today, so more than likely, a few trees came down. Hope your hike goes well.

restless
02-14-2011, 20:51
Also, i work in the park, so let me know if you have any further questions.

Blissful
02-14-2011, 21:20
OK didn't know you were heading north, thought you were going south. Should be a super day. Enjoy it.

OldFeet
02-16-2011, 10:39
Thanks, I am old and fat so I need most of the day to do 17 miles.
I'm old and fat myself but I think you'll find the miles in this section go by pretty easily especially if you're headed north. Two years ago I started at Hogback and stayed the first night at Tom's Wayside, about 12 1/2 miles. I didn't get started until 10 AM and was at the shelter by 4:00 PM and that included taking plenty of breaks whether I needed them or not. Have a great hike.

earlyriser26
02-20-2011, 17:42
Just got back from the SNP. Thanks for all the info. Trail was great except the climb down from the North park entrance. Very high winds Sat. and a couple of forest fires on and near the AT. Spent 3 hours in fog-like smoke. Also, I came across where the trail was torn to make a fire break. I picked up a dozen plastic water bottles left by the fire fighters. I looked real hard for the spring listed at Hogwollow flats. I'm glad I didn't need it. No signs, not a hint where it might be. Crazy narrow trail just before 522. Fence on one side, houses on the other. Great time, thanks again.

Blissful
02-20-2011, 17:55
Yes there's big wildlfire there right now at Jenkins Gap. Good thing you got out when you did as the AT in that area is closed.
Sure the firefighters appreciate you cleaning up the bottles. They have a lot to do there.