PDA

View Full Version : JBWELD alternative

titanium_hiker
01-04-2005, 18:17
When constructing a pepsican/popcan/sodacan stove this site
reccomends JBWELD, as does the wikipedia.
I know it is a "cold welding" epoxy.
Can anyone tell me of alternate products or methods of achieving the same results?
Or should I just get somebody to send me some?

thanks

titanium_hiker

EDIT: forgot links-
http://www.pcthiker.com/pages/gear/pepsiGstoveinstruct.shtml
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soda_can_stove
:rolleyes:

mdjeeper
01-04-2005, 18:27
any two part heat resistant epoxy should work. not sure what they would have down your way that would be similar though. if you cant find anything, let me know and i will mail you some.

titanium_hiker
01-04-2005, 18:34
thanks for the quick response mdjeeper.

thanks for clearing up that it is just a two part heat resistant epoxy. This country is full of mechanics and plumbers and cars runing only with the aid of chewinggum and a piece of string... :) I'm sure I'll find some. Now I have to dig out the spanish english dictionary...

thanks again

titanium

orangebug
01-04-2005, 19:26
I've always just used muffler tape to seal the two can ends together.

titanium_hiker
01-04-2005, 19:32
and you don't have any leaks?
thanks for the idea orangebug!

chknfngrs
01-04-2005, 19:55
i do the same as orangebug. the first model I made leaked terribly, but being my own R&D staff I fixed the glitch.

SGT Rock
01-04-2005, 21:09
Just build a simple stove that doean't require JBWeld. I didn't like that version and there are a lot lighter and easier to make versions of alcohol burners out there.

titanium_hiker
01-04-2005, 21:28
thanks for the advice SGT Rock, but stubborn is my middle name, I have this stove set in my sights and I'm gonna get there.

:)

titanium

SGT Rock
01-04-2005, 21:34
Well after all that you will either:

1. Decide you will never do that again because it was so darn hard for so little pay off.

or

2. Stick with it no matter what because of all the effort you put into it. Until it melts.

titanium_hiker
01-04-2005, 22:12
lol...
part of it is I have to show my dad I can make one... he busted it up... lol
:)

titanium_hiker
02-08-2005, 12:38
HA!!

finally finished the stove this long weekend. it works a treat, and boiled a cup of water in an old peach can in 5 minutes (at 8,500 feet, if that matters) and goes for ages. it takes a while to get going through the side holes though. Maybe because the inner wall is about 1/2 a cm above the bottom of the can.

Anyway, I'll post pics when I have them.

All I need now is a good potstand. Any tips?

thanks

titanium_hiker

SGT Rock
02-08-2005, 14:21
Titanium. :D

titanium_hiker
02-08-2005, 15:14
harhar.

seriously though, what sort of construction? circle? triangle? hanging pot over stove? help please.

titanium_hiker
(name because of surgical implant used to straighten spine)

SGT Rock
02-08-2005, 18:10
I am serious about Titanium. That is what I make my pot stands from.

SGT Rock
02-08-2005, 18:25
Titanium-hiker,

Check out this link: http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1032

You can make one with some snips and a hacksaw.

titanium_hiker
02-08-2005, 19:38
oops! hehehe.

I'm not sure how I would go at getting titanium here though. Thanks for the pattern. Oh, and cool ion section! How about some pics of the stand?

titanium_hiker

titanium_hiker
02-08-2005, 19:53
ooh.. yeah.
FUEL:
health wise, does white medicinal alcohol 96 sound about right?

titanium_hiker

SGT Rock
02-08-2005, 20:02
I know AYCE at www.thru-hiker.com will probably do international shipping, but it might cost more than the material itself. If I make you a stand, it should be so light and small it could be taped to an index card and go in the mail as just a letter and might cost less. But I would need the stove dimensions before I even tried. I would probably want to make a couple of prototypes from aluminum first.

As to the medicinal alcohol. Google didn't turn up anything for me to compare it to. Can you tell if it is Isopropyl or Methyl Alcohol? Does the label say anything about drinking it?

titanium_hiker
02-08-2005, 20:09
re fuel
it had a big red circle with a white cross in it. it won't harden your hands. That's it.

Nightwalker
02-08-2005, 20:15
When constructing a pepsican/popcan/sodacan stove this site
reccomends JBWELD, as does the wikipedia.
I know it is a "cold welding" epoxy.
Can anyone tell me of alternate products or methods of achieving the same results?
Or should I just get somebody to send me some?

thanks

titanium_hiker

Stovepipe caulk works moderately well. It flakes a bit, but if you put it beneath the furnace tape, it never has the chance. It also resists heat to 2000 degrees F! (Only 1093 C, heehee)

titanium_hiker
02-08-2005, 20:26
oh yeah: I forgot to tell you guys that I got a two part 'steel epoxy' which the white stuff smells awful, then when mixed is a black-grey colour. it is heat resistant, I bought it because it had an engine on the packet. (there is no way you have proper documentation here. ) It would have been cooler in silver, but I'm ok with the black. No leaks!

titanium_hiker

The Hammocker
02-11-2005, 23:22
I just used the tape on mine (the shiny duct tape not duck tape)

The Hammocker
02-11-2005, 23:23
oh for those of you in the military replace duck tape w/ 100 mph tape.

Instant translation (LOL);)