PDA

View Full Version : Water filtration/purification

JawsThemeSwimming428
02-14-2011, 01:33
What's the best water filtration system? Any secrets you care to share for drinking water on the trail?

Gipsy
02-14-2011, 02:45
Oh did you ever ask for it................

This question is right up there with Creationism theory vs Big Bang theory, or pro-life vs pro-choice.

My 2 cents... Chemical treatment is the lighter option and you don't have to worry about malfnction, clogging, etc. I believe the chemicals of choice when it comes to trail hiking are the Aquamira drops.

leaftye
02-14-2011, 04:02
We couldn't start a week without a new water thread eh?

wtmntcaretaker
02-14-2011, 04:03
The best water filtration... It all depends on where you are and what your water source is. cow patty mud puddle or mountain spring? I dint use any purification method for the AT or the PCT. You will probably get lots of different answers. Good luck. :sun

wtmntcaretaker
02-14-2011, 04:05
The best water filtration... It all depends on where you are and what your water source is. cow patty mud puddle or mountain spring? I dint use any purification method for the AT or the PCT. You will probably get lots of different answers. Good luck. :sun

Spokes
02-14-2011, 09:07
aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I suggest we argue about how long cheese stays fresh on the trail instead.

10-K
02-14-2011, 09:13
aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I suggest we argue about how long cheese stays fresh on the trail instead.

Do you need maps to filter your water?

coheterojo
02-14-2011, 10:07
I used my Hiker Pro filter till I forgot it somewhere in Georgia. Then I used Aquamira drops when I felt like it. Unless it was a "piped spring", then I didn't use any purification method at all.

I had thought to use the middle section of my hiking pole to pipe the water thru a liner sock or hammock but felt it would be too controversial.

sly dog
02-14-2011, 10:55
Just bring all the water you'll need from home. lol

Pony
02-14-2011, 11:08
Do you need maps to filter your water?

I almost never treat water, and frequently refered to my maps to decide which sources to drink out of.

LoneRidgeRunner
02-14-2011, 11:18
I use an MSR Waterworks filter. used it for years without a problem I guess chemicals are ok unless you want to keep chemicals out of your body. I get enough "chemical" water at home. AND, I have camped in places where the water source was nothing more than a wet spot in the ground where I had to dig out a little to make enough water to put the hose in and dipping the water would have been difficult. By "digging" I mean just scraping away the silt down to the rock maybe an inch or 2 below.
I know this is going to open a can of worms. I'll bet one guy will even say anyone who treats their water is a sheep....lol....I don''t like getting sick so I treat ALL my water. You never know when a day hiker has peed just up the hill from the water source.

Praha4
02-14-2011, 11:42
u can catch the raindrops on the rhododenron leaves, carefully allowing the UV in the sunlight to purify the water on the leaves before it hits your tongue. Thisr technique takes some practice on the trail, you must allign your head/mouth at just the right angle to allow sufficient UV exposure as the raindrops flow down the leaves. You must also time this exactly as the sun breaks thru the clouds after the storm.

Scientists also hypothesize that a chemical in the rhododenron leaves actually gives the raindrops a chemical "high" for the hiker as he savors the water. Scientific name for this mysterious ingredient is "rhododenronis aquasativus"

who needs a Steripen when you have the sun? who needs aqua mira when you have the rhododenron leaves?

now, when you get too far north where the rhododenron are no longer on the trail, I advise you consult shelter logs along the trail

as always, hikers are advised to do their own due dillegence before trying this technique

noboat

coheterojo
02-14-2011, 11:50
That's what I saw you doing with those rhody leaves last year! You dog you! Are you planning to do the Trail again this year Noboat?
It looks like I might do it again this year cause I didn't like my summit pictures from last year.

El Flaco

Praha4
02-15-2011, 14:24
hey Flaco, you da man! great to hear u may be on the trail again this year

I'm heading back up to the trail sometime this year, not exactly sure when yet, it may be in April again, just not completely sure yet. Also considering a Long Trail end to end in Aug/Sept.

I'm gonna PM you with a couple gear questions

later!