PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of doing a JMT/High Sierra Trail loop in May or June. How feasible is this?

Freigeist
02-14-2011, 02:10
How much of the trail will be snowed in during these times and will it pose a problem if I've never done any serious winter backpacking/alpineering before (and what's the weather/snowfall been like this year?)? Which direction should I go first and what orders should I do the trails in? Is there anywhere to stash my car at either terminus?

Helmuth.Fishmonger
02-14-2011, 11:16
How much of the trail will be snowed in during these times and will it pose a problem if I've never done any serious winter backpacking/alpineering before (and what's the weather/snowfall been like this year?)? Which direction should I go first and what orders should I do the trails in? Is there anywhere to stash my car at either terminus?

JMT in June - bring boots that can handle long stretches of snow (miles), and expect water crossings to be deeper. Depending on how the rest of this winter shapes up, it can be alright, but as I am typing this, a strorm is finally bringing new snow since the big December dumps. You'll really never know what it will be like in June until you're through the middle of May.

Don't know much about the HSR, but if it goes across passes higher than 11,000, expect the same.

nawlunz
02-17-2011, 00:02
JMT in June - bring boots that can handle long stretches of snow (miles), and expect water crossings to be deeper. Depending on how the rest of this winter shapes up, it can be alright, but as I am typing this, a strorm is finally bringing new snow since the big December dumps. You'll really never know what it will be like in June until you're through the middle of May.

Don't know much about the HSR, but if it goes across passes higher than 11,000, expect the same.

but there is only Kiawah Gap and Precipice lake remaining about 11,000 feet before you come out at Crescent meadow. Once you hit the JMT/High Sierra trail junction at Wallace Creek, you spend a couple of days in the canyon...the hike out is a chore, but Big Arroya canyon is amazing...from there, you cross Kiawah Gap/precipice lake which had snow first part of August last year. From there, down hill all the way to Crescent meadow!! Just striking territory!!

Spirit Walker
02-17-2011, 14:37
In May you will certainly have snow. In June you will probably have snow, at least until the end of the month.

Miner
02-17-2011, 15:23
The later you go, the less snow. At some point in late May or early June, the ford levels will likely be at their highest level. If you don't like hiking on snow, go in late June and you'll only have snow on top of the high passes. If you go in May or early June, bring good maps and know how to navigate with them as alot of trail will be burried (navigation in the Sierra is pretty easy though if you know how to read a map since you are often above treeline when in the snow).

Starting in early June you will start seeing waves of northbound PCT hikers on the JMT from Whitney to Yosemite so there will be footprints to follow and people hiking the same direction (though probaby faster having already hiked 750miles to get there). There will be a few JMTers hiking both directions, but far fewer then the PCT hikers. But going NOBO means you start off at the highest elevations first which means you won't be as adapted to the altitude when doing the hardest climbs.

You can pretty much leave your car at either end, just ask a ranger for advise about long term parking when you get there.