PDA

View Full Version : Flint Mountain Shelter

Bill Strickland
01-04-2005, 20:36
I have fond memories of the Flint Mountain shelter. In 2003, a friend and I were section hiking and went to Flint Mountain to get out of the snow. We spent all afternoon with some thru-hikers, one of whom asked me what my trail name was. I told him I was a greenhorn, and didn't have one. The next morning this young man told me that after hearing me sleep, he thought my name should be "Jakebrake". My hiking buddy did not let this pass, so I am now "Jakebrake" A 2-year section hiker of the complete AT. Bill Strickland

The Solemates
01-05-2005, 10:39
Bill, we used to live in Wahalla.

On our thru, we woke up after a night at Flint Mtn Shelter and 14 inches of white fluffy stuff was on the ground. It was a beautiful winter wonderland, but a very difficult day in near blizzard conditions. We only made it the 9 miles to the next shelter. To make hiking even more difficult, I was battling a severe bronchial infection. But looking back, it was a load of fun.

mikecordes
03-11-2005, 15:23
Spent the night in tent at Flint Mtn March 5, 2005. A foot of snow on the ground. Nice shelter with plank set up between the two sides. The four hikers at the shelter the next night shared accommodations with a skunk. Shelter is well protected from the wind. It blew all night, but didn't bother us. Great water source on trail just north of the shelter.

ponyVet66
11-20-2008, 15:34
Flint Mtn Shelter was quite hospitable to me as well. Hiked over from Sam's Gap in the rain this past March and spent a very dry and restful evening in the shelter. Good memories with my son on that trip. He was ready to push on to the next one but Flint Mtn was just what I needed, where I needed it. Shared the shelter with a very wet and very cold NOBO. He was appreciative of the accommodations as well.

Erin
11-20-2008, 22:23
We stopped at Flint Mountain for lunch last year on our section. It was our first shelter. There were thru's, women from Florida,:we shared summer sausage and cheese with them. We were so stupid and happy, we did the "Hokey Pokey" around the picnic table to loosen up and stretch. One look and we were glad we tented.

double j
06-27-2009, 23:57
spent the night here with my club mice everywhere uhg. water is extremely good here. and new bear cables.

Berserker
09-16-2009, 12:48
How is the tenting at or near this shelter?

Tennessee Viking
09-16-2009, 13:55
How is the tenting at or near this shelter?
Lots of tenting behind the shelter. Then a few places across the trail from the shelter. There is also the old Locust Ridge shelter site about a mile north. To the south of FMS, there is Flint Gap with views of the famous Rocky Fork Tract. Then there lots of places to camp onto of Coldspring have a wide flat ridge top. The Sheltons will more than happy to let you stay with them...by their grave.

Gray Blazer
09-16-2009, 14:07
The Sheltons will more than happy to let you stay with them...by their grave.

The Sheltons would prolly say, "We'd be mighty proud to have ya!"

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/2/1/7/MountainsII005.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9130&original=1&c=member&imageuser=6217)

Kerosene
11-09-2009, 11:09
Lunched at the shelter on a very wet day in late October 2009. Of course, the late-morning walk from Jerry Cabin was in a light rain, which stopped for awhile during lunch, but of course came back heavier than ever when I finally decided to head north again. Every time a breeze came through, hundreds of leaves would fall from the trees. Very pretty.

Nice solid shelter. I liked the "dining room table" plank between the sleeping areas.

A lot of nice level sites around the Shelton Graves a few miles north, although I didn't see evidence of the two springs that the map says are between Big Butt and the cemetary.

GoldenBear
06-29-2019, 22:43
Since it's been nine years since anybody has said anything, I'll only note that the shelter still looks nice. The bear cables are a nice addition to the shelters in this area.