PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth

LordoftheWings
02-14-2011, 05:44
OMG. I can't believe I'm still up. I downloaded the most recent Google Earth and followed the AT in 3D. It's an amazing tool (toy?) That I just spent the last 4 hours playing with instead of sleeping. If you use it, beware. I was sucked in like a fat kid in a candy store.

Carbo
02-14-2011, 23:20
I spent about 2 hours trying to fly the F-16 jet through the DWG!! It can be done. Was kinda neat because you can see the miles of traffic backed up at the PA-NJ toll booth.

Driver8
02-15-2011, 00:28
I spent about 2 hours trying to fly the F-16 jet through the DWG!! It can be done. Was kinda neat because you can see the miles of traffic backed up at the PA-NJ toll booth.

Huh? How'd'ya do this?

Carbo
02-15-2011, 09:34
Huh? How'd'ya do this?

From within Google Earth go to the location where you want to start flying. Click on the "Tools" tab at the top, then click on "Enter Flight Simulator". It will bring up a screen where you select the F-16 jet or a prop plane. I'm pretty sure you need the latest version of google earth for this.

It took me an hour or so to learn the keyboard controls through the help screens. Definitely want to start with the prop instead of the jet to learn to fly without crashing every two minutes. Guaranteed to kill half a day if you get sucked into it like I did.

Doc Mike
02-15-2011, 09:46
How do you pull up the AT on it?

Sickmont
02-15-2011, 09:50
Was kinda neat because you can see the miles of traffic backed up at the PA-NJ toll booth.

Huh. I've been gone for 13 years and apparently nothing's changed.

Carbo
02-15-2011, 16:15
Huh. I've been gone for 13 years and apparently nothing's changed.

LOL, well the toll costs more, which is about all that does change here!

Carbo
02-15-2011, 16:23
I don't think you can pull up the AT directly. If you do a search on a town near the AT, you can usually locate the trail. Because I know the DWG area very well, I can spot the AT pretty easily and the 3D of the terrain is spot on.

trailangelmary
02-15-2011, 16:29
I don't think you can pull up the AT directly. If you do a search on a town near the AT, you can usually locate the trail. Because I know the DWG area very well, I can spot the AT pretty easily and the 3D of the terrain is spot on.

I did it when I first got google earth a few years ago. It was easy however I did it.
I love google earth.

kayak karl
02-15-2011, 16:37
just another reason for the packsnifters not to leave their computer chair.:D

Driver8
02-15-2011, 17:40
It took me an hour or so to learn the keyboard controls through the help screens.

I got to the runway at JFK, but haven't any clue abt the controls. Do you need a joystick? I probably should run away from the very idea of this - last thing I need is another compelling online time-waster. :/

Hikes in Rain
02-15-2011, 21:06

Enable the Trimble tours. (Under Layers. Then More, Galleries, and its most of the way down.) GPS coords, photos, commentary. It's a lot of fun. Shortish trips, though.

jerseydave
02-15-2011, 21:31

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59214

Carbo
02-15-2011, 21:39
I got to the runway at JFK, but haven't any clue abt the controls. Do you need a joystick? I probably should run away from the very idea of this - last thing I need is another compelling online time-waster. :/

Cntrl-H brings up the help screen.
Or click on "Help", "Keyboard shortcuts". You don't need a joystick.

Yes, run from this as fast as you can! Last warning.

Wise Old Owl
02-16-2011, 23:12
don't forget to add the approch trail and the shelters..

Old Hillwalker
02-17-2011, 08:33
I've previewed most of my upcoming month in Scotland this Spring. Switching between my Memory Map Scotlandmap screen and Google Earth I can actually see the trails I will be taking and review the terrain. Since Scotland is mostly treeless the Google photos are well detailed and trails stand right out.

The ability to zoom down to actual photographs on roads and then do a 360 is very fun.

Pedaling Fool
03-16-2011, 17:35
The ability to zoom down to actual photographs on roads and then do a 360 is very fun.
I'm going to be famous:banana

I was riding my bike yesterday when I saw a small vehicle across the road making a right turn, it was across 6 lanes and I couldn't get a good view of it, but it had a round-looking object above its roof -- a curiosity, but I soon forgot about it.

Then today I was taking stuff out to my recycling bins and saw the same car drive past me and noticed the "google" logos on the car. So obviously this was one of the cars that give you the street view function on google maps. So now I will be seen on street view on my bike and in then again in front of my house.:D

EJC
07-28-2011, 06:47
I'm going to be famous:banana

I was riding my bike yesterday when I saw a small vehicle across the road making a right turn, it was across 6 lanes and I couldn't get a good view of it, but it had a round-looking object above its roof -- a curiosity, but I soon forgot about it.

Then today I was taking stuff out to my recycling bins and saw the same car drive past me and noticed the "google" logos on the car. So obviously this was one of the cars that give you the street view function on google maps. So now I will be seen on street view on my bike and in then again in front of my house.:D

I wonder how you get that job? ;)