PDA

View Full Version : Pep Talk?

realdusi
02-14-2011, 13:23
So I have been planning an AT section hike of GA since Thanksgiving of last year. I've been working out and conditioning myself. Tweaking my gear list, accumulating new gear. I got my finances in order, got the time off of work during my spring break (Week of March 5th). I have been getting excited, up until today when my hiking partner bailed on me. I have never hiked alone, and have never hiked in Georgia (let alone driving there by myself from FL!). I read on here all the time about how it's "ok" for single women to hike as long as they're smart about it. I have talked with friends and family about whether I should hike my own hike solo or just give up on my plans. They have all given me an overwhelming response of "Don't do it! You'll be on your own!" I admit that I'm beginning to feel a little overwhelmed at the prospect of everything I'll be doing solo: Driving the 8+ hour drive, getting a shuttle to the trail head, hiking and not getting lost, meeting up with the shuttle after the hike, finding a hotel/motel where I can shower and get cleaned up, and driving back to FL. Part of me wants to just give into the fear and give up, but the other part of me is so excited about finally getting my feet on the AT, and using my brand new tarptent, and hiking in mountains that I feel if I were to give up, I'd be miserable and mad at myself for not going.

I am posting on this forum of of seasoned hikers to seek advice and maybe a pep talk. I'm a flat-lander and have hiked sections of the FT, but that was 3-4 years ago now. I don't know why the idea of hiking Georgia by myself feels overwhelming and scary, but it does. Am I getting in over my head? Biting off more than I can chew? Or am I just letting the "solo-fear" cloud my judgment and perceptions? I know that only I can answer some of these questions for myself, but really, is it that hard (or scary for that matter...) to get a shuttle to the trailhead and hike Georgia by one's self?

Pete Moss
02-14-2011, 13:34
Go for it on your own, Your sense of accomplishment and self-reliance will be worth it in the end.

max patch
02-14-2011, 13:35
Peace of cake, don't worry about it, and if you change your mind halfway thru GA there are plenty of road crossings to bail out from. But you won't.

If I was coming from FL (and my first backpacking trip was when I lived in Miami and drove to the GSMNP for a week solo) I would probably leave my car at Ron Haven's Motel in Hiawassee, pay for a shuttle to Springer (or AFSP) from Ron or one of his contacts, and then hike north. During March and April Ron will pick up hikers at Unicoi and Dicks Creek every morning at a stated time and shuttle back to his hotel. Plenty of other options but that is what I'd do.

max patch
02-14-2011, 13:47
Please make sure that you have sufficient warm clothes and sleeping gear for a March 5 start. The weather can be iffy in March so prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Ladytrekker
02-14-2011, 13:49
A few years ago my at the time 20 year old son told me he bought a ticket to Spain and went and backpacked alone in a foreign country (he had never been to Europe)for 3 weeks. He worked out the logisitics on his own and honestly he went over a boy and came back a man he had a great self confidence in himself and he has since gone back and hiked France and Italy.

It sounds like you need this trip to do some growing up and I don't mean that in a mean way but in a literal way.

Have fun.

realdusi
02-14-2011, 14:00
Thanks for all the advice and well wishes. This is the sort of pep-talk I was hoping for. I also feel that this is something I need to do for myself. Overcoming my own fear and anxieties I think will help me mature and help me in life.
@ Max Patch- what do you mean by iffy weather? I was told to expect frigid cold weather and possible snow. Is this what you're referring to? Also thanks for the info about Haven's Budget Inn. I know he's a member or white blaze, so I'll have to message him. Right now I'm trying to find a good link or website for his inn.

max patch
02-14-2011, 14:06
@ Max Patch- what do you mean by iffy weather? I was told to expect frigid cold weather and possible snow. Is this what you're referring to?

Yes. Be prepared for that, but hope that you are lucky enough to experience the weather that GA is having this week. As I type it is in the low 50's and sunny on Springer. Weather can be all over the place here in the early Spring.

max patch
02-14-2011, 14:09
Also thanks for the info about Haven's Budget Inn. I know he's a member or white blaze, so I'll have to message him. Right now I'm trying to find a good link or website for his inn.

http://www.appalachiantrailservices.com/external/hiawasseeinn/

DaSchwartz
02-14-2011, 14:14
realdusi, No pep talk here. But way too many hikers worry about their gear and getting themselves into shape. And that's great. But it does nothing to prepare you for 90 percent of the AT, which is mental.

Go out and camp for 3 days straight in the worst weather conditions. Rain and wind and cold. Then, if you are ready to do it for a 4th day, you might be somewhat mentally prepared for the AT.

It's easy to prepare when it's clear outside.

Old Hiker
02-14-2011, 14:14
Go for it and think nice thoughts about us flat-landers left back in Tampa. Best I can do right now is sleep out in the back yard to test some gear.

realdusi
02-14-2011, 14:32
My first ever hiking trip was for a week south of Ocala. A tornado demolished the boy scout camp we were camping by and it rained for 2 days after, then froze everything sold with 14 degree weather after the rain stopped. Rain and cold I'm used to, snow and mountains I'm not. Not sure how to mentally prepare myself for that!

@Old Hiker: I grew up in the Tampa Bay area. You have to do a couple of hours of driving just to see hills! I'm getting to be quite fond of the Gainesville area. Lots of places in less than an hours drive to go do some backpacking in. Much closer to the FT too!

MkBibble
02-14-2011, 14:46
when we had our first baby we said, "how do you change a diaper? we don't know ANYthing about this!" we were told, "don't worry. you will be an EXPERT in a few days."

the same applies here. go! have fun!

as mentioned above, if you really feel the need to get off the trail, there are plenty of places, and lots of people you can come to get you. i can give you several numbers of people to call in GA, and i'm sure others can add to that list.

Tenderheart
02-14-2011, 17:05
Believe me, you won't be alone in Georgia in March.

litefoot 2000

dragoro
02-14-2011, 17:18
It seems more complicated then it really is. It's a tough part of the trail physically, but nothing dangerous. Shuttles are much easier to get then one would think. Even hitching is pretty easy. Don't overwhelm yourself by over thinking it. Just hop on the trail and take it one day at a time. I met plenty of solo women hiking in Georgia last year and never heard one of them mention any problems.

Ladytrekker
02-14-2011, 20:34
My first ever hiking trip was for a week south of Ocala. A tornado demolished the boy scout camp we were camping by and it rained for 2 days after, then froze everything sold with 14 degree weather after the rain stopped. Rain and cold I'm used to, snow and mountains I'm not. Not sure how to mentally prepare myself for that!

@Old Hiker: I grew up in the Tampa Bay area. You have to do a couple of hours of driving just to see hills! I'm getting to be quite fond of the Gainesville area. Lots of places in less than an hours drive to go do some backpacking in. Much closer to the FT too!

Hiking along the Suwannee River White Springs to Suwannee River State Park is great. In January I hiked from Swift Creek to US129 there were many ravines, small some may call manmade bridges to cross and the hightest point on the Florida Trail is on this leg of the trail.

In a few weeks I am hiking from US129 to Gibson Park another area with ravines and springs its not mountains but it is really nice. I posted some pics under the Florida Trail on this website.

mweinstone
02-14-2011, 20:42
i dare you to hike.

bloodmountainman
02-14-2011, 20:45

I did the Ga section at the tender age of 15. First time long distance hike and first time being alone. I was a bit "afraid" at first but soon found out there was nothing to worry about. The mountains up here are not that bad. You will do great!:D

zombiegrad
02-15-2011, 13:47
I can relate, realdusi! I think it's an age and gender thing. When we're young, we're taught to beware the dangers of the world because we're young and vulnerable to predation. As females, we're taught that we need to be protected, and well we are vulnerable to predation. Put these things together, and for the young female woman the world can be a scary place when going it alone! But I do think that it's important for us to develop the autonomy, confidence, and competence to succeed in life whether we have someone to support us or not. I'm tackling a thru hike on my own, and I do have some fears about what the experience will be like, whether I can do it safely on my own, can I survive on my wits if needed, the stranger danger, etc. It's a lot of unknowns! It definitely creates an experience where you'll be tested and transformed. As with anything in life, we have to go about things smartly. The facts show the AT to be a relatively safe place, and there's a big supportive community here for everyone to take advantage of, whether male or female. I say hike your own hike! There's an element of risk involved, but it's a calculated one. Know your limits, trust your instincts when in strange situations, and have fun! That's what I'm going to try to do!