PDA

View Full Version : parking at FRONT ROYAL VA.

wolf
01-04-2005, 21:29
How Is The Parking At Front Royal Va. Is It Safe To Park For 1 Week?also Is There Bus Service To Front Royal Va.from Phila Pa. We Will Be Hiking From Rock Fish Gap To Front Royal Va. Im In The Planning Stages So Get Back To Me Soon,i Would Like To Take The Bus Down But If I Have To Drive I Will.we Are Going Apiril30 To May 8 If Any Body Would Like To Join Us ,will Meet At Rock Fish Gap On April 8.or We Would Like To Get A Ride To Rock Fish Gap On The 30 Of April In Am, Trail Rat( Wolf)

Footslogger
01-04-2005, 21:46
How Is The Parking At Front Royal Va. Is It Safe To Park For 1 Week?also Is There Bus Service To Front Royal Va.from Phila Pa. We Will Be Hiking From Rock Fish Gap To Front Royal Va. Im In The Planning Stages So Get Back To Me Soon,i Would Like To Take The Bus Down But If I Have To Drive I Will.we Are Going Apiril30 To May 8 If Any Body Would Like To Join Us ,will Meet At Rock Fish Gap On April 8.or We Would Like To Get A Ride To Rock Fish Gap On The 30 Of April In Am, Trail Rat( Wolf)=====================
If I were you I'd drive into Front Royal itself and get permission to leave the car in a parking lot. The trail crossing at Front Royal is a few miles out of town and not exactly somewhere I'd consider leaving my car for that period of time.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Scaper
01-05-2005, 07:26
Other hikers have left there cars parked at the 4-H center. Make sure to a ask first. There is a quarter mile side trail that leads to the A- T which hits the trail about 1/2 mile north of the Tom Floyd shelter. I am not sure of the bus schedule. Jim

cakeman21k
01-05-2005, 09:17
Don't know about a bus but there is a commutter train that runs out of DC, you could tak Amtrak Phil to DC, and then change to the local train there.

chknfngrs
01-05-2005, 09:50
I'd check out Greyhound Bus website for rates and locations. Shouldn't be too tough. As indicated, the trail doesn't cross somewhere conducive to parking for long periods. The outfitters in Front Royal should be able to help, but their names slips me right now.

You could also add a few miles onto your hike and go to Harpers Ferry instead of Front Royal. There is, I believe, train service.

jlb2012
01-05-2005, 10:12
Outfitter in Front Royal is Weasel Creek Outfitter - see thread : http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2056

Haiku
01-05-2005, 17:18
The outfitter is in a shopping centre, so there may be rules about parking cars in the public lot for long periods of time.

I'd drop a line to The Grateful Greenpeace Guy at Terrapin Station Hostel to see if he could care for your car for a week. Mike Evans: 540-539-0509.

Haiku.

zephyr1034
01-06-2005, 02:54
Don't know about a bus but there is a commutter train that runs out of DC, you could tak Amtrak Phil to DC, and then change to the local train there.============================================ =================

There is no passenger rail service into Front Royal. Of this I am dead certain. If you drive up I-66 for 40 miles or so, you can catch the Virginia Railway Express commuter train from either Broad Run Airport or Manassas. VRE doesn't run weekends. Rail service is also available at Harpers Ferry.

I couldn't tell you about buses, but I do know that Greyhound is cutting back like crazy. The way they're going, there won't be any bus service anywhere in a couple of years.

Derby
03-01-2005, 16:27
I've worked at the 4-H center for 6 years, so I have a little bit of knowledge about this. :sun There is no problem with hikers parking at the center! The best place to park is in the row of spaces across from the pool. You will then walk up a steep hill that leads to 2 lodges. In the middle of the lodges, you will see wooden steps. They lead to the spur trail that leads to the Tom Floyd shelter. If you leave a note in your car saying "AT Hiker" you should be fine.

If you are coming in between the 3rd week of June and the 2nd week of August between Sunday and Thursday, be sure to observe the "No Public Past this Point" sign. You still have access to the trail (and the pool if you want to shower or get a snack), but the staff gets pretty freaked out about "strangers" when there are kids there.

Because I've been on hold for 45 minutes and have nothing else to do..
Directions:
I-66W to exit 13 (Linden)
left off exit ramp
right at light onto 55
follow til you get to the town of Front Royal
left at 1st main light (look for sign pointing to 4-H Center)
right onto Harmony Hollow Rd
follow to the end, turn left at the 4-H Center sign and go through the main gate

Weasel Creek Outfitters is a great place and they love AT hikers. If you go straight at the 1st main light (from directions ahead), they are in the shopping center to the left past the light (K-Mart).

A LOT of hikers hitch from the trailhead off of 522 to town and back. I have personally picked up quite a few. I don't know how comfortable I would feel about it, though.

If you have any other questions about Front Royal or the 4-H Center at all, just ask!

wolf
03-07-2005, 21:04
to the hiker that gave me info on 4h center i thank you we will be parking there and our shuttle will pick us up there.you do i talk to to get the ok?
wolf :p