PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Cabin Fever DWG hike THIS weekend

ShelterLeopard
02-14-2011, 20:43
So, I have a bad case of cabin fever. I thought I could wait until spring but I can't!!! So, who wants to go on a two day hike with me?

When: This Saturday and Sunday (February 19 and 20th)

Where: Hike from DWG parking lot to Kirkridge shelter, spend the night, and hike back. (I know some people hate to retrace their steps when hiking, but I don't)

Who: Whoever has feet.

Please let me know who all is coming, anyone and everyone is invited. If we have a very small group, I may not even plan to bring my tent... (Emergency tarp and hope for the shelter....)

We could all meet either in the DWG Diner or the Bakery to load up on carbs and grease in the morning before we hit the trail. I don't think we need to start too early. I'd like to start when there is light and NO ice. (I know it is supposed to be warm during the day, but we'll give anything from the night time to melt a bit.)

So who is up for a HIKE???

ShelterLeopard
02-14-2011, 20:44
PS- I am SUPER out of shape, so don't expect me to be speed hiking anywhere. I will be lagging behind.

Toolshed
02-14-2011, 21:40
Shlep, My wife is off to FL for work Sunday, so likley count me out....But I appreciate you putting this out to the group. If anything changes, I'll let you know by Thurs.

nox
02-14-2011, 22:00
I'll be at the watergap this weekend but I'll be on my kayak..Bummer you picked a weekend I can't hike.. Are you gonna hike next week to the billville warmer?

ShelterLeopard
02-14-2011, 22:48
I'd love to do the warmer, but we'll see what my work schedule is. Heck, maybe I'll just come! We'll see.

harryfred
02-14-2011, 23:07
I'd tell you if you come to the warmer you'll be ruined forever but i know some of the cats you have hike with I fear it is already too late.:eek:

ShelterLeopard
02-16-2011, 09:55
Way too late!

Maybe I made a bad call with a hike this weekend, didn't realize i was billville time! Maybe I'll bump this thing to next weekend...

nox
02-16-2011, 10:18
shlep, i'm pretty sure that billville is next weekend..

ShelterLeopard
02-17-2011, 12:16
Erm, that's what I meant... (Sleep and hike deprived!)

Well, I may go hiking this weekend anyway, but I'll post it if the hike is back on.

ERNMAN
02-17-2011, 13:36
No can do this weekend... Heading to Fla. to hike the florida trail. If interested,let me know...100 one way ticket and then hike for a week in ocala state forest. Alot nicer then 3 feet of snow.

Second Half
02-17-2011, 23:15
If you do get a group I'd be interested in joining y'all for the Saturday section. I see there's a parking lot on rt. 191 about a half mile past the shelter. If I park there and can figure out how to get to DWG in the morning, I'm game.

ShelterLeopard
02-18-2011, 00:24
Hmmm..... I'll have to think about the hike. Now that someone is interested, I want to go... Second half, I'll let you know about whether or not the hike is on sometime tomorrow!

Second Half
02-18-2011, 10:18
I guess I was posting without thinking, turns out I can't make it tomorrow. Sorry.
Just FYI this spring-fever weather will be gone tomorrow. Here in NE PA they're calling for temps around freezing and 20+ MPH winds. Not at all like today :(

weaser51
02-18-2011, 23:09
Did a short hike today from Fox Gap (191) to Totts Gap, and back out. Trail is still largely to partially snow covered. There are just a few areas of total snow melt in that section, but not many. Nelson Overlook is snow covered. Still the trails hike-able, but would be a slower go. Have fun. Pack an extra pair of dry socks.

Second Half
02-18-2011, 23:27
Still can't make it tomorrow but all this talk of spring fever made me go out for a short hike myself this afternoon. Parked at the Fort Franklin trailhead and hiked to the Allentown shelter and back out. About 4 miles round-trip. Trail was about 30% clear of snow, but not too bad in the snow-covered sections. Absolutely glorious weather today. The best afternoon we've had in probably 3 months.

Did meet one LDH on the trail. He said he started in MD and was hiking to ME. He said there's not too many others on the trail at the moment.

ShelterLeopard
02-19-2011, 18:20
I'm sorry I never formally cancelled this yesterday! I'm assuming it doesn't matter, since no one said they could come, but all the same, it was not very nice for me not to follow up. (Yesterday was a very bad day at work. I work for Borders. Enough said?)

ShelterLeopard
02-19-2011, 18:21
And anyway, Second Half was right. I was hoping for a hike during which I could bask in the sun, not shiver so hard my teeth could break...

mweinstone
02-19-2011, 20:55
slep, set your sights on hiking into the doyal for the warmer. panzer is. it will be fun i promise. ill throw in floor in 23.

mweinstone
02-19-2011, 20:56
sorry, shlep!

ShelterLeopard
02-25-2011, 00:18
I REALLY want to hike to the warmer. But my brother is the lead roll in a musical and I need to see it (he would never forgive me if I missed it). DARN.

harryfred
02-25-2011, 00:34
Hey if you can drive on down that's good.

Second Half
03-04-2011, 17:52
I'm planning a DWG-Wolf Rocks day hike tomorrow (Sat Mar 5):

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1123790#post1123790

C'mon along!

redseal
03-13-2011, 20:23
Anyone know of the local trail conditions now? Was thinking of doing a weekend hike shortly from Wind Gap to DWG. If anyone is interested in joining or just wants to offer a ride from DWG to Wind Gap PM me.

tuswm
03-15-2011, 00:08
I am trying to organize a WB PA hike this weekend. I am in philly now and PMing another philly hiker about this weekend. Ill keep this thread updated.

takethisbread
03-15-2011, 05:48
I am trying to organize a WB PA hike this weekend. I am in philly now and PMing another philly hiker about this weekend. Ill keep this thread updated..

From Germantown we did ride
We made our bed, sir
From the rock on the mountainside
We been blowin' around from town to town
Lookin' for a place to stand
Where the sun burst through the clouds and fall like a circle
A circle of fire down on this hard land

ShelterLeopard
03-17-2011, 19:20
So, need to hike soon. The insanity of college applications is...well, insanity. Anyone up for a hike during the week ever?

ubeturas
04-06-2011, 21:27
log cabin builders nc (http://www.fallcreekland.com/)
Hickory Knob State Resort Park is the only South Carolina Resort park in the Palmetto State. Enjoy boating, hiking, tennis courts, archery, skeet shooting and golf on a beautiful 18-hole championship course. Hickory Knob features lodge rooms, park cabins, a restaurant and meeting facilities. Hickory Knob lodge rooms are much like motel rooms and offer cable television, two double beds, telephone and coffee maker.Lodging Reservations & InformationWith mountain, lake and beachfront cabins and villas, State Parks offer the best South Carolina cabin rentals in the state from upscale resort type villas at Dreher Island and Devils Fork to historic CCC cabins at Oconee and Table Rock.when your young you dont appreciate how awesome cabins are untill you cant afford one :0)

harryfred
04-06-2011, 23:40
Shelp just to make the offer as of now myself, BadAndy and JohnnyBeGood are doing MD Apr 16,17,&18. If you can make Harrisburg, PA aft 1600 (I can pick you up aft work) on the 15th, you can stay at my place (hope you like cats) I gotta old lady so don't sweat it. Then catch aride to PM on the 16th. You will have to pitch in for a shuttle from HF to PM on the 18th. I will make sure you can get back to Harrisburg late the 18th or on the 19th. Hell give my wife hava chance and gas money she'll drive ya' all the way back to NJ.

ShelterLeopard
04-07-2011, 10:52
I'd LOVE to! But I'm having a student visit at my college-to-be, and I can't back out now. ARGH!!! Every time an awesome hiking plan comes up, something gets in the way. Thanks HarryFred- I seriously would love to come!!!!!

ShelterLeopard
04-07-2011, 10:52
But are you interested in doing a DWG two day hike soon? Hopefully and of April/ beginning of May?

harryfred
04-07-2011, 21:13
But are you interested in doing a DWG two day hike soon? Hopefully and of April/ beginning of May?
I am, seriously. Lemme think about it. May may be good maybe we could get Panzer to grab Matty and come on up wouldn't that be special. The week end of May 21 is a no go I have a prior commitment. Note my week ends are Sun/Mon. I do have personal and vac-days and I intend to use most of them wandering around in the woods and meeting friends. Meeting friends in the woods is golden. Wife is suggesting weekend of May 14/15.

ShelterLeopard
04-07-2011, 21:47
Me too- I'll be leaving for Croatia. May 14/15 might be good for me though, I'll shuffle around my dates.

BadAndy
04-07-2011, 22:53
I'm most likely going to have some free time in May as well, keep me posted with specifics, I'd love to join!

harryfred
04-08-2011, 16:42
Me too- I'll be leaving for Croatia. May 14/15 might be good for me though, I'll shuffle around my dates.

I'm most likely going to have some free time in May as well, keep me posted with specifics, I'd love to join!
Sounds like we got a hike in the works:banana:banana:banana:banana I should be able to take a personal day the 14th and the 15th is my normal day off if the 16th is also a possibility for all we could make it a three day hike. Lets consider this an open invite to all. Panzer? Matty? are you out there.

ShelterLeopard
04-08-2011, 17:24
Don't worry. We'll get panzer. (Muah ha ha....) And Matty.

harryfred
04-08-2011, 18:38
OK, May 14 - 15 DWG to Wind Gap Curently set for Shlep, Edge, and BadAndy. Love to hike with Panzer again and realy would like to hike with Mattewski. When I am sure the date is firm I will put in for a day off. The spigot should be on at Kirkridge. I can't remember, as I only stoped for supper, how is the tenting at Kirkridge?

timebreaks
04-08-2011, 19:46
me too me too!!

i have to check the calendar. and i may bring a friend along, who's dying to backpack in the Shennies, but he's never been out on the trail before. :p

harryfred
04-08-2011, 19:55
Ok, No we are Shlep, Edge, BadAndy, TimeBreaks, Friend, Panzer and Matty.
Shlep is this Deja Vu all over again?

snorz
04-08-2011, 20:07
Got room for me? I have a conflict around there,but if the weather is good......who knows!

harryfred
04-08-2011, 20:14
Don't see why not. Now we are Shelp, Edge, BadAndy, Timebreaks, Friend, Snorze, Panzer, & Matty.

BadAndy
04-08-2011, 21:50
Damn that took off in a hurry!!! That weekend tentatively looks good. I'll check the wife's work schedule tomorrow and see how much of a "pass" I can get so I can say for sure.

jerseydave
04-09-2011, 03:36
I'll have to check as the date gets closer, but if you are open to a couple more joining in, my hiking buddy and I may be able to tag along.

jd

Cabin Fever
04-09-2011, 06:14
Dang. I missed the hike in my honor!

BadAndy
04-09-2011, 21:21
May 14-15 is good to go :banana Thinking about taking the 16-17 off too and continuing SOBO if anyone's interested in something longer.

ShelterLeopard
04-10-2011, 18:42
Anyone can join, definitely! And Andy- I definitely might be up for an extended hike.

harryfred
04-10-2011, 19:11
Definitely up for more hiking on the 16th not sure if I want to burn a vac day this early in the year for the 17th. We could definitely make Leroy Smith on the 15th. could finish at Little Gap on the 16th. I was able to make Leroy Smith to George Outerbridge in one day But I really had to stay focused and hoof it, I made it as the sun was going down.

ShelterLeopard
04-11-2011, 11:10
I don't want to push too hard- I'm definitely out of shape. (Well, my legs are) I'm thinking that trying to crank out too many miles would be not so much fun, but we'll have to see.

harryfred
04-12-2011, 21:21
DWG to Kirkridge, 6.4 miles, not bad at all some climbing but a wide clear trail IIRC. I did it and a couple of miles more in 1/2 a day. Kirkridge to Leroy Smith, 13.8 miles, Took me almost all day (minus a couple of miles) because I kept loosing the trail over the rock scrambles. It is flat and fairly straight except for the dip at Wind gap, 9.2 miles. This early in the year we should be able to use the second spring and with all the rain we have been having maybe the first. I do remember there was good tenting at Leroy Smith. Leroy Smith to Little Gap,10.8 miles, flat mostly straight and a little rocky. Little Gap to the Lehigh river, 5.2 miles, Very easy but you do not want to come down that open rock face in twilight. SB is very hard to find the blazes, I went with what ever is down is good and I know I was off the trail.
My Suggestion Day one Kirkridge shelter. Day two, say good bye to any that has to get off at Wind Gap, the rest proceed on to Leroy Smith. Day three, Little Gap save Lehigh Gap for another day. If some want o do Leroy Smith to the lehigh river, 16 miles, I might burn a vac day. It is not a bad but it is a slow descent.

BadAndy
04-12-2011, 23:28
I'm up for whatever, but I'm definitely going to hike 4 (14th-17th) days since I've got the time.

harryfred
04-14-2011, 17:50
Damn I can take a vac day and we can make the Lehigh river Leave your car there It hauls more than mine. That last day will not be too bad but we have to stay in the saddle. Shelp think can you take the time off and keep up with an old fat guy. Anyone else hike May14 - May17 DWG - Lehigh river. Plenty of drop off points for those that have to get back to work.

BadAndy
04-14-2011, 19:18
Damn I can take a vac day and we can make the Lehigh river Leave your car there It hauls more than mine. That last day will not be too bad but we have to stay in the saddle. Shelp think can you take the time off and keep up with an old fat guy. Anyone else hike May14 - May17 DWG - Lehigh river. Plenty of drop off points for those that have to get back to work.

Buddy don't waste your vacation on my account! I was just throwing my plans out there. Not that you're not welcome of course!!

harryfred
04-14-2011, 19:31
Hiking with friends is there a better vacation.

timebreaks
04-16-2011, 23:35
so is the two day plan turning into Water Gap to Wind Gap, then?

More importantly, will there be scones and bacon?? :banana

ShelterLeopard
04-18-2011, 18:43
Mara, will there be scones and bacon?!? How could we hike without scones and bacon?!?

ShelterLeopard
04-18-2011, 18:44
I'm definitely up for a two day hike, perhaps longer... we'll have to see.

ERNMAN
04-18-2011, 20:28
I'm in ...

harryfred
04-18-2011, 21:42
BadAndy and myself are talking Three days to Lehigh Gap. Those that have to can bail at Wind Gap while any that want to continue on to Leroy Smith shelter the second night. Then on to Lehigh Gap the third day. Don't let the 16mile day or the drop into lehigh gap spook you the trail is relatively straight and flat, rocky but "educated feet" can still keep a good pace. If you want to knock this out as a section this is a good time to do it.

harryfred
04-18-2011, 21:51
Mara, will there be scones and bacon?!? How could we hike without scones and bacon?!?
That would be like hiking without whiskey and Cheese:banana

timebreaks
04-18-2011, 21:51
GAAAAAAAHHHH!!

I have a class I need to be in on the 15th. BOOO. Guess i will have to catch up with you guys another time. :(

harryfred
04-18-2011, 23:00
I'm up for whatever, but I'm definitely going to hike 4 (14th-17th) days since I've got the time.

BadAndy and myself are talking Three days to Lehigh Gap. Those that have to can bail at Wind Gap while any that want to continue on to Leroy Smith shelter the second night. Then on to Lehigh Gap the third day. Don't let the 16mile day or the drop into lehigh gap spook you the trail is relatively straight and flat, rocky but "educated feet" can still keep a good pace. If you want to knock this out as a section this is a good time to do it.
Fourth day, would be to push on up hill to George Outerbridge Shelter on the third day. We would be getting in there at dusk or later. then on the forth day George Outerbridge to 309,12.7 miles. You will want to spend some time at Bears Rocks and the Knife Edge is slow going'. If the B&B is open they have excellent burgers and good beer.

harryfred
04-21-2011, 21:33
Just bumping this up. Need to know who is in for what so I can put in for days off. Shlep did not mean to high jack your thread But dammit I love to hike, and BadAndy is looking to log in some AT miles and this fits. I'd also like to meet some of my NJ neighbors.

BadAndy
04-23-2011, 21:47
Like I said, I'm good for whatever, would like to make Lehigh Gap at a minimum and could stretch to a 4th day but don't have to. I think I'm finally dry from the last trek so it's time for some more.

harryfred
04-26-2011, 19:40
If the bosses will approve days off I'm game for 4 days DWG to Route 309. It just has to involve a Sunday and a Monday. And for once please NO RAIN:eek::D

johnnybgood
04-26-2011, 20:07
And for once please NO RAIN:eek::D
If it doesn't kill you , then it only makes you stronger.... or some bs sayin' like that. :D

Panzer1
04-26-2011, 20:31
If the bosses will approve days off I'm game for 4 days DWG to Route 309. It just has to involve a Sunday and a Monday. And for once please NO RAIN:eek::D

what day are you leaving?

Panzer

BadAndy
04-27-2011, 15:07
If it doesn't kill you , then it only makes you stronger.... or some bs sayin' like that. :D

This will make a great story if we live to survive it

what day are you leaving?

Panzer

We're looking at leaving Saturday May 14

Panzer1
04-28-2011, 12:40
I'll be there. This will be my alternative to trail days which is that weekend but is a little too far for me. At least I'll be on the trail that weekend that's what matters the most.

Panzer

harryfred
05-02-2011, 08:56
Rethinking trying to make 309, as it would mean a 12.7 mile hike over fairly rocky ground including the Knife Edge. The figure atlest for those of us heading south maybe six hours of of travel, run back up to DWG then head south Suggest on the third day we make George Outerbridge shelter, 16.7 miles from Leroy Smith. Spend the night at George Outerbridge, then on the fourth day maybe hike out to Devils Pulpit and maybe a bit of the North Trail. Then back track to vehicles left at the parking area at the Lehigh River, run back up to get vehicles left at DWG, head home.
Anyone that can only do two days can get out at Wind Gap, three days can leave at the Lehigh River Keeping in mind we will probably cross the river close to dusk.

harryfred
05-02-2011, 08:59
Now do I put in for Friday the 13th or Tuesday the 17th off. T make four days.

Second Half
05-02-2011, 11:39
If y'all don't mind a slow fat guy bringing up the rear I'd like to tag along on Saturday. If anyone else wants to do just Saturday we could coordinate a car drop at Fox Gap, or I could probably talk my wife into shuttling me from Fox Gap to DWG.

Rethinking trying to make 309, as it would mean a 12.7 mile hike over fairly rocky ground including the Knife Edge.

I can offer to shuttle y'all back to DWG from either 309 or Bake Oven Rd. on Tuesday. I'd park and hike north to meet you and hike back out.

harryfred
05-04-2011, 16:43
Now do I put in for Friday the 13th or Tuesday the 17th off. T make four days.
Duh, wasn't thinking when I posted that. I'm taking Tuesday the 17th off.

harryfred
05-04-2011, 16:57
If y'all don't mind a slow fat guy bringing up the rear I'd like to tag along on Saturday. If anyone else wants to do just Saturday we could coordinate a car drop at Fox Gap, or I could probably talk my wife into shuttling me from Fox Gap to DWG.

I can offer to shuttle y'all back to DWG from either 309 or Bake Oven Rd. on Tuesday. I'd park and hike north to meet you and hike back out.
Old fat guy bringing up the rear is usually my position. I'd say this is a more the merrier hike so If you can make it up for Sat great. I guess we should agree on a meet time at DWG. The offer of a shuttle from Bake Oven Rd. would work see what BadAndy has to say. and how many are in for four days.

ShelterLeopard
05-06-2011, 13:30
Ah, y'all feel free to hijack away with my thread because now I can't do this one. ARGH!!!! I'm preparing to leave for Croatia and need to wrap things up and make money like crazy before I leave, and I only have TWO WEEKS LEFT! So, you all have fun and I'm REALLY sorry that I can't come. But I'm planning a long term hike in September, if anyone is interested. (My last hurrah before I sign my life away for school)

Second Half
05-06-2011, 14:44
Ah, y'all feel free to hijack away with my thread because now I can't do this one. ARGH!!!! I'm preparing to leave for Croatia and need to wrap things up and make money like crazy before I leave, and I only have TWO WEEKS LEFT! So, you all have fun and I'm REALLY sorry that I can't come. But I'm planning a long term hike in September, if anyone is interested. (My last hurrah before I sign my life away for school)

That's too bad, I was looking forward to the scones. And to meeting you. Not necessarily in that order of course!:D

How about Matty? Is he still in? Bacon?

harryfred
05-06-2011, 19:53
Wow sorry to hear that Shlep. I was also looking forward to meeting you. I am hoping BadAndy is still in because I am putting in for two days off tomorrow. I should email him. Panzer sounds like he will try to make it may be he can pick up Matty. There was a couple of others Jersey Dave and Snorze I believe.
As for Sept. unless you are planning to do the Shenandoahs the last two weeks I'll have to pass.

BadAndy
05-06-2011, 20:35
Wow sorry to hear that Shlep. I was also looking forward to meeting you. I am hoping BadAndy is still in because I am putting in for two days off tomorrow. I should email him. Panzer sounds like he will try to make it may be he can pick up Matty. There was a couple of others Jersey Dave and Snorze I believe.
As for Sept. unless you are planning to do the Shenandoahs the last two weeks I'll have to pass.

Don't worry buddy, I'm still in! Been rather hectic the last 2 weeks so I've been in hiding but I'm still here and ready to get the heck back outside. I'm all clear for the full 4 days. I'll email you when I get a chance to talk logistics.

Second Half, I'll bring up the slow fat end with you too. Looking forward to meeting everybody.

ShelterLeopard
05-06-2011, 22:38
That would be like hiking without whiskey and Cheese:banana

Wow. Now I'm even more sad that I'm not coming. Several days of hiking. Outside. With awesome people. And scones and bacon. And whiskey and cheese. Good whiskey. Balvenie 15. AWWWW MAN. Okay. Don't take me off the "might come" list yet. I might be able to meet up for only two days (and not the four).

So this is May 14-17, starting in DWG? What's the current plan?

ShelterLeopard
05-06-2011, 22:39
I almost definitely can't make the 14th though. Work. Need make money. Zombie.

harryfred
05-07-2011, 17:55
[QUOTE=ShelterLeopard;1156045]Wow. Now I'm even more sad that I'm not coming. Several days of hiking. Outside. With awesome people. And scones and bacon. And whiskey and cheese. Good whiskey. Balvenie 15. AWWWW MAN. Okay. Don't take me off the "might come" list yet. I might be able to meet up for only two days (and not the four).

So this is May 14-17, starting in DWG? What's the current plan?[/QUOTE
First forget good whiskey.I'm too cheap. I usually bring Black Velvet cheap smooth and comes in a plastic bottle. I some times bring Clan MacGregor scotch which I transfer into an old Black Velvet bottle. Sometimes I bring Admiral Nelson or Calico Jack. Cheese could be anything but one of my favorite hiking cheeses is a smoke cheddar I get at the bulk Mennonite store down the road.
As for a plan..
On the 14th let us meet at DWG at 11:00 should give even slow hikers time to make Kirkridge shelter. Someone? how is the tenting around that shelter the only tent I saw when I passed through was in the shelter:eek: I tented on up the trail.
On the 15th we make for Leroy Smith shelter anyone that can only do two days can get off at Wind gap. Shlep you might jump in here. Tenting is good but up the hill from the shelter. It is listed as only 13.8 miles but the rocks will slow things down we should plan on a early start and keep moving.
On the 16th we shoot for George Outerbridge 16.7 miles doable, I did it plus a mile,I had to get water in the morning. we have to get to the Lehigh river before dark. we can stumble up the trail from there if we have to. Spring is on the trail there was a small tent site just past the shelter and another maybe 15min. up the trail IIRC. Second Half we may need a bail out at Little Gap if the weather is too bad.
On the 17th is up to BadAndy. Devils Pulpit and a little blue blazing? Bake Oven Rd.? or 309?
Either my Tracker or BadAndys Jeep will be at the end of the trail and able to carry three other hikers. OK two plus me and BadAndy. Second Half has jumped in and offered rides.
I do not know the roads but I am sure we can figure a way to get Shlep back to her ride at Wind Gap should she decide to join us.

ShelterLeopard
05-07-2011, 18:41
Tenting is not bad at Kirkridge- I've been there a couple times when two boyscout troops flooded the area, but even then, everyone found a spot. I love that shelter. I might jump in at Kirkridge the morning of the 15th. Might meet ya by the road crossing about half a mile from the shelter. I'm HOPE HOPE HOPING to be able to come, I'll know by tuesday. And if I do, there will be scones.

PS- thanks harryfred for taking over the planning and getting everyone revved up- I was just going to let it fall off until mid summer and be lazy!!!!

harryfred
05-07-2011, 20:58
Tenting is not bad at Kirkridge- I've been there a couple times when two boyscout troops flooded the area, but even then, everyone found a spot. I love that shelter. I might jump in at Kirkridge the morning of the 15th. Might meet ya by the road crossing about half a mile from the shelter. I'm HOPE HOPE HOPING to be able to come, I'll know by tuesday. And if I do, there will be scones.

PS- thanks harryfred for taking over the planning and getting everyone revved up- I was just going to let it fall off until mid summer and be lazy!!!!
Good deal, trust me you want me in a tent not in the shelter. It would be great if you can join us. I will restate we need to get up and get going early. Would you believe I do not ever remember eating a scone.

Panzer1
05-10-2011, 12:27
are we still on for this weekend?

Who's in?

Panzer

Panzer1
05-10-2011, 14:18
It looks like 6 days of rain coming. starting saturday.

I am not opposed to starting on friday to give us one dry day.

Panzer :sun

Second Half
05-10-2011, 17:18
Unfortunately I'm out. My 82 year old mother broke her foot so I'm in Baltimore helping her and my dad until my sister can get here on Saturday.

Panzer1
05-10-2011, 19:25
Unfortunately I'm out. My 82 year old mother broke her foot so I'm in Baltimore helping her and my dad until my sister can get here on Saturday.

sorry to hear about your mother. hope she gets better. Family comes first.

Panzer

Carbo
05-10-2011, 19:58
FYI - I was up at the DWG today, and exit 1 is closed. Going westbound on I80 you need to detour at the turnoff just before the exit. No big deal unless you pass the detour. Not sure how long the exit will be closed.

harryfred
05-10-2011, 21:30
It looks like 6 days of rain coming. starting saturday.

I am not opposed to starting on friday to give us one dry day.

Panzer :sun
Can't do Friday already got a personal day Sat and a vac day Tue. Sun/Mon is my weekend. Replied to your's and BadAndys PM.

harryfred
05-10-2011, 21:31
FYI - I was up at the DWG today, and exit 1 is closed. Going westbound on I80 you need to detour at the turnoff just before the exit. No big deal unless you pass the detour. Not sure how long the exit will be closed.
Thanks for the heads up.:sun

Panzer1
05-10-2011, 21:53
Can't do Friday already got a personal day Sat and a vac day Tue. Sun/Mon is my weekend. Replied to your's and BadAndys PM.

I don't see it. :confused:

Panzer

BadAndy
05-10-2011, 22:00

Panzer

Thought I was the only one left out

Panzer1
05-10-2011, 22:01
I got a can of permethrin today. I'm going to nuke my clothes. Any bug that craws on me is going to die. :D

Panzer

Panzer1
05-10-2011, 22:32
so what time are we meeting at?

Panzer

Panzer1
05-10-2011, 23:13
it's looking like bacon, egg and cheese sandwich for breakfast. :D

and coffee of course. sadly it will be instant coffee. :eek:

Panzer

harryfred
05-11-2011, 05:39

Panzer

Thought I was the only one left out
I don't know why that didn't work. I have to get to work.
Short answer the problem is water there are two springs I think between Leroy Smith and Lehigh Gap. One is Delps which is listed as very unreliable. There was a sign for another on not listed on my guide book. It was too far off the main trail and the trail was getting obscure so I never actually saw it. It did not look like a lot of people camp between the two shelters probably because of the water issue. there may be some place we can tent but my focus went I went through was to just keep moving I do remember the ground as being rocky but not so bad I couldn't keep a steady pace up.
As for NJ I have no maps guides or clues on NJ. I hear it is just as rocky as PA just dosen't get the same publicity.
As for doing it NB it is still 16 miles from Lehigh Gap to Leroy Smith. I can do 16 miles just don't like to the first day. Also would like to here back from Shlep and any else that want to go.
As for when we meet I guess we still have to figure where we meet. I figure if we leave DWG around 10:00 or 11:00 we should have plenty of time to get to Kirkridge. we still need to leave another vehicle let us say for now at Lehigh Gap. I do not know how long it takes to drive from Lehigh Gap to DWG.No time for spell check I have to get to work.

takethisbread
05-11-2011, 07:33
Holy long thread for a weekend hike!

Good luck getting it together, I won't be in the area till the Billville Feed, and a chance to do another Duncannon 24.

Panzer1
05-11-2011, 15:04
One is Delps which is listed as very unreliable.

The map shows a parking lot near Delps spring, at the bottom of the hill, about 700 feet down. There is also another parking lot at Little Gap where the trail crosses the road. It might be possible to stash a water supply at either spot.

Panzer

Panzer1
05-11-2011, 15:15
I do not know how long it takes to drive from Lehigh Gap to DWG.

Time Mile Instruction For Toward
Summary: 35.5 miles (50 minutes)

9:00 AM 0.0 Depart Lehigh Gap on SR-873 (North) 0.4 mi
9:00 AM 0.4 Turn LEFT (North) onto SR-248 [Lehigh Dr] 1.1 mi
9:02 AM 1.5 Turn LEFT onto Ramp 0.2 mi
9:02 AM 1.7 Bear RIGHT (East) onto Delaware Ave 1.6 mi
9:06 AM 3.3 Bear LEFT (North) onto Forest Inn Rd 4.0 mi
9:12 AM 7.3 Bear RIGHT (North-East) onto US-209 [Interchange Rd] 16.7 mi
9:35 AM 24.0 Take Ramp (LEFT) onto US-209 [SR-33] 6.5 mi US-209 / Pa-33
9:42 AM 30.4 Take Ramp onto I-80 [US-209] 1.7 mi I-80 / US-209
9:44 AM 32.1 At exit 307, turn RIGHT onto Ramp 0.2 mi Pa-611 / Park Ave / Pa-191
9:44 AM 32.3 Turn RIGHT (South) onto SR-611 [Park Ave] 0.3 mi
9:45 AM 32.6 Bear RIGHT (East) onto SR-611 [Foxtown Hill Rd] 2.2 mi
9:48 AM 34.8 Take Local road(s) (RIGHT) onto SR-611 [Main St] 0.6 mi
9:50 AM 35.5 Arrive Delaware Water Gap

SUMMARY
Driving distance: 35.5 miles
Trip duration: 50 minutes
Driving time: 50 minutes
Cost: $5.12

BadAndy
05-11-2011, 16:28
Holy long thread for a weekend hike!

We don't do anything the easy way

harryfred
05-11-2011, 16:29
The map shows a parking lot near Delps spring, at the bottom of the hill, about 700 feet down. There is also another parking lot at Little Gap where the trail crosses the road. It might be possible to stash a water supply at either spot.

Panzer
Would not count on water cached in that area being there. I'll explain later not here.

Panzer1
05-11-2011, 16:54
Would not count on water cached in that area being there. I'll explain later not here.

The stash could be concealed.
Also, could stash more that we need in case some of it is taken.
Or the stash could be left in a car.

Panzer

harryfred
05-11-2011, 17:29
Game plan goes some thing like this.
We meet the three of us Panzer, BadAndy,And myself meet at Lehigh Gap 0830 on the 14th there is parking on both the east and west side of the river someone pick one. we leave Panzer's truck and my Tracker there, the three of us take Andy's vehicle to DWG. We start out of DWG at 1000 We hike to Kirkridge we spend the night.
I'd like to shoot for a 0830 start from Kirkridge I know it is only 13.8 miles to Leroy Smith but like I said I had a time of it over the rocks and loosing the trail. If we do better than we get to camp early at Leroy Smith.If Shlep is still in we can meet her at Fox Gap Rd. or on the trail.
I'd like to leave Leroy Smith as early as possible with the intention of making George Outerbridge. I made it with a lot less daylight it is not a bad trail (Andy after the 16 miles in MD this is gedunk.) we have almost 14 1/2 hrs 0545 to 2009. We can carry enough water out of Leroy smith to do us if we camp before George Outerbridge or count on the rainfall we have had to leave Delps spring running. We make our final decision at Little Gap if we do not think we can do it and we can get by on water we start looking for a place to tent.
If we make George Outerbridge we spend day four blue blazing. If not we take our time getting to Lehigh Gap. Panzer can head for the house from there and my Tracker can carry BadAndy and myself and Shlep if she is with us to DWG. from there one of us can swing Shlep around to her car on Fox Gap Rd.

Panzer1
05-11-2011, 17:37
sounds like a good plan. :)

Panzer

BadAndy
05-11-2011, 18:19
I love it when a plan comes together!

ShelterLeopard
05-11-2011, 18:25
I won't know if I can make it until tomorrow- grr... If I can make it, I'll meet y'all at the road closest to Kirkridge Shelter.

If, however, I don' get off on Sunday, then I might end up doing some short two day hike another time (at which point everyone is welcome to join).

I'll let you know if I'm still in as soon as I can!

harryfred
05-11-2011, 20:37
I won't know if I can make it until tomorrow- grr... If I can make it, I'll meet y'all at the road closest to Kirkridge Shelter.

If, however, I don' get off on Sunday, then I might end up doing some short two day hike another time (at which point everyone is welcome to join).

I'll let you know if I'm still in as soon as I can!
That's OK. We understand work commitments. Would be great to meet you. You see the plan I laid out. Just a thought you may want to try to make the Billeville hiker feed in Duncannon 9 and 10 July I believe I'll be there as well as Panzer, Sasquatch, Digger, Matty and some of the best hiker trash you'd ever want to meet.

ShelterLeopard
05-11-2011, 22:16
Awesome! I forgot about the feed. And I haven't seen sasquatch, digger, matty and panzer since before I left for my thru!!! And I can't wait to meet you and everyone else. Hopefully, sooner rather than later, but if not, you'll definitely see me at the feed.

Panzer1
05-11-2011, 22:24
I will probably get there early in Lehigh Gap and have breakfast in McDonald's or one of the other restaurants in town. Probably like around 7:45 or so. Of course you guys are welcome to join me. I like to start a hike with a good breakfast in me.

Panzer

snorz
05-11-2011, 23:38
Sorry to miss this gettogether......maybe next time! Have a great hike. jack

ShelterLeopard
05-12-2011, 09:22
Looks like this isn't happening for me. So you can expect to see me at the feed! Hopefully I'll be able to get together a short hike soon- most likely when I get back from Croatia. Have fun all, I wish I could be there!

harryfred
05-12-2011, 16:51
I will probably get there early in Lehigh Gap and have breakfast in McDonald's or one of the other restaurants in town. Probably like around 7:45 or so. Of course you guys are welcome to join me. I like to start a hike with a good breakfast in me.

Panzer
If I get there early I will look for your truck.

harryfred
05-12-2011, 17:02
Awesome! I forgot about the feed. And I haven't seen sasquatch, digger, matty and panzer since before I left for my thru!!! And I can't wait to meet you and everyone else. Hopefully, sooner rather than later, but if not, you'll definitely see me at the feed.

Looks like this isn't happening for me. So you can expect to see me at the feed! Hopefully I'll be able to get together a short hike soon- most likely when I get back from Croatia. Have fun all, I wish I could be there!
Sorry to hear you can't make it. I'll hold you to the hiker feed I'll pitch a tent next to "Camp Panzer" on Friday and head to work from there on Sat. but be back in the afternoon wife might camp with me so you can meet CatLady. BadAndy lives and works in the area so you'll meet him also. I don't think I have ever been to Croatia do they have good beer and CHEESE:sun:banana

ShelterLeopard
05-12-2011, 19:52
I'll bring some of the classic croatian plum brandy to the feed for which they are so famous too!

BadAndy
05-13-2011, 14:04
See you all tomorrow morning! Edge if you want to carpool from the Harrisburg area let me know, if not I'll se you in the lot on the East side of the river.

harryfred
05-13-2011, 18:48
See you all tomorrow morning! Edge if you want to carpool from the Harrisburg area let me know, if not I'll se you in the lot on the East side of the river.
OK east side of the river we will pool up from there so when we get there Panzer can head straight home.

4shot
05-14-2011, 08:23
well, I hope y'all enjoy this hike. I must say for a 4 day hike and the thread starting back on 2-14, that this may very well be the most thorough hike planning I've ever been priviledged to witness. If something was left back at home,please don't let us know.;)

ShelterLeopard
05-14-2011, 10:37
I think I once had a two day hike plan that went 8 pages... or something awfully long... I guess we're all somehow very good a drawing out the planning stage. Like we're hiking vicariously through our future selves!

BadAndy
05-16-2011, 21:57
ShelterLeopard, I know I 've never met you but since you started this thread you were given the blame all weekend for the bad weather, just thought you should know.

ShelterLeopard
05-16-2011, 22:09
Muah ha ha!!!!! I planned it that way, you all fell into my trap! But seriously, even with the terrible weather, I really wished I could've been there. What made it even worse was that it turned out I DID NOT HAVE TO WORK ad my boss didn't think to let me know before I arrived for work. When I could've been hiking. Wow. Grrrr.....

But seriously, I am planning a two+ day hike in the summer, and I'll slip nature a tip to make sure we get good weather.

harryfred
05-16-2011, 22:36
Think it is time to kill this thread. DWG to Little Gap has been done, by Edge, BadAndy and Panzer. There is a day hike in the works for Lehigh Gap to Little Gap, as BadAndy needs this to help complete PA and it just sounds like a good day hike. I'm gonna say look for a Sunday sometime before July. Shlep help us out here you tell us can you do it? Panzer are you up to it? Will you bring Matty? Second Half I really hope you can do it You Were such a blessing with the Trail Magic at Wind Gap and the bail out at Little Gap. I will start a new thread for a day hike .

harryfred
05-16-2011, 22:50
Muah ha ha!!!!! I planned it that way, you all fell into my trap! But seriously, even with the terrible weather, I really wished I could've been there. What made it even worse was that it turned out I DID NOT HAVE TO WORK ad my boss didn't think to let me know before I arrived for work. When I could've been hiking. Wow. Grrrr.....

But seriously, I am planning a two+ day hike in the summer, and I'll slip nature a tip to make sure we get good weather.
Hey we all understand work, and boss's. check out the above post a think July 22, 23 24, 25 Lehigh gap to Swatara Gap or Duncannon to Pine Groove Furnace. Let us start a new post.

ShelterLeopard
05-17-2011, 10:11
So did you guys end up bailing because of the rain?

harryfred
05-17-2011, 10:52
Partially. Panzer didn't want to climb down the rocks in the wet. Then another bound hiker told us the trail from Lehigh gap to Little Gap was closed. We had no way to confirm this and the last time BadAndy and myself ignored a hiker telling us a section of the trail was closed we ended up backtracking three miles.

Panzer1
05-17-2011, 11:15
Thanks again to Second Half for the trail magic on Sunday and the 'rescue" shuttle ride on Monday. :D

Panzer

Panzer1
05-17-2011, 11:34

If we had better weather we would have continued. But the best weather forecast we had for today was for thunder, lighting and a inch of rain at about the time we would be descending down the mountain into Lehigh Gap. The map describes the decent as "extreme exposure in adverse weather". I judged that this would be an unwarranted risk. We opted for the rescue ride by Second Half.

Panzer

Panzer1
05-17-2011, 11:49
Lehigh Gap – Temporary relocation and side trail closure
The National Park Service, in partnership with the Federal Highway Administration, will begin a slope stabilization project in mid-July 2010 on the east side of Lehigh Gap. The project is scheduled to last through April 2011. As a result, a temporary relocation will be put in place for the A.T. where it passes through Lehigh Gap and the blue blaze Winter Trail will be closed. Additionally, the east Lehigh Gap parking area is open for day use only; overnight parking is available at the west Lehigh Gap parking area. The National Park Service asks that hikers be alert to construction activities while in the area. For additional project information, please visit the following link: http://www.nps.gov/appa/parkmgmt/publicinvolvement.htm.

jabroni
05-17-2011, 15:41
Was the project completed on time? I was planning to hike in this area in a couple weeks.

Panzer1
05-17-2011, 16:19
Was the project completed on time? I was planning to hike in this area in a couple weeks.

no, we could hear their big construction machines running.

Panzer

ShelterLeopard
05-17-2011, 23:42
Understandable- Lehigh Gap is treacherous without the rain. I hope y'all had fun anyway though!

Panzer1
05-21-2011, 12:53
oh sure, now the sun comes out.

Panzer

jabroni
05-22-2011, 16:32
no, we could hear their big construction machines running.

Panzer

ok,thanks for the info...

Panzer1
05-22-2011, 19:57
Jabroni,

wait for the rain to stop. The rocks are slippery in the rain and you won't be able to see all the vistas. The only thing this section of trail has going for it is the vistas.

Panzer

jabroni
05-23-2011, 09:53
Jabroni,

wait for the rain to stop. The rocks are slippery in the rain and you won't be able to see all the vistas. The only thing this section of trail has going for it is the vistas.

Panzer

Ok thanks will do, I have a time share in the mountains above Scranton, when we go there my son and I always stop off and climb the gap. It's interesting to see how the area has changed each time with regard to the environment recovering. We tried it once when it was damp, so we know not to do that again.

Jabroni

Panzer1
05-23-2011, 10:13
Jabroni,

our group is talking about doing a 5 mile day hike from Little gap down the hill into Lehigh gap some day when the weather is nice just to complete the section we missed. Maybe we will see you. We don't have a date yet.

Panzer

jabroni
05-23-2011, 21:53
oh, would love to join if schedule allows, pm me if/when you have a date, thanks!

Second Half
05-24-2011, 01:13
Just FYI, this was recently posted on facebook:

"Just a heads up, I'm sure some are aware or those who haven't gotten out lately ... I did wind gap to lehigh gap this past weekend and while i didn't run into issues during the first 2 days, the second half near little gap to lehigh gap .. i removed about 2 dozen, no i'm not kidding ... TICKS off my lower legs and trail runner's ... Keep and eye out, check yourself often and wear DEET, with permethrin treated clothing ... TICKS ARE BAD right now!"