PDA

View Full Version : Rectangle sleeping bag recommendation

Gipsy
02-14-2011, 21:44
I've gotten to the point where I don't like sleeping in a mummy bag. The hood is ok and all, I'm just tired of sleeping with my feet all bunched up. I prefer to sleep on my side. Can anyone recommend a rectangle bag or semi-rectangle in the 20-25 degree range. Either synth or down is fine.

moytoy
02-14-2011, 22:05
This is what I have. http://www.campmor.com/goose-down-20-degrees-rectangular-sleeping-bag-regular.shtml?source=CI&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=40069WC

I don't like mummy bags either. I have slept in it at 30 degrees here in Florida and was warm. It's a good bang for the buck.

mykl
02-15-2011, 11:08
I second the Campmor bag.
Also, Big Agnes makes some rectangular bags with a hood. They do not fully open though (to use as a blanket), but the Campmor does.

WalkinHome
02-15-2011, 11:11
I cannot recommend mine as it is fairly old, Bean's 0 degree synthetic, works great but just a word of caution. Mine is VERY comfortable and big (got the long size) but keep in mind, if you are in cold temps, your body will be trying to heat ALL of that extra space that a mummy doesn't have and will have a hard time doing it so you could actually be cold in a good bag because it is just too large. It is wicked comfortable though!

Odd Man Out
02-15-2011, 17:17
I am in the same boat and have had my eye on the Western Mountaineering Sycamore. Haven't saved up enough to get one yet. Maybe someone in the know can comment on this option.

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=Microfiber%20Series&ContentId=21

springerfever
02-15-2011, 19:28
I purchased a WM Alder a few years ago and it' a great bag ! Its the cousin to the WM Sycamore. Pretty much the same bag, just without the hood. You will love the room in these bags. They have two zippers...one for the side and one for the foot. Zip it all the way open to make a quilt, or unzip the footbox to keep your feet cool. You also have the versatility to center the main zipper over your chest which is great for reading/writing while relaxing in the cold.

I , too am primarily a side sleeper and to keep your head warm, I recommend a balaclava. Mine, I ordered from Nunatak and it's waaaay better than a hood that will not rotate with your body. By using the balaclava it rotates with your head, keeping it warm and your nose/mouth open so that you do not allow moisture in your bag.

http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/garments/balaclava.htm

skinewmexico
02-15-2011, 19:40
Sounds like a job for a Jacks R Better quilt to me. And they're a WB sponsor.

crazystick
02-16-2011, 03:48
Check out big Agnes. They not only are wider they still have the hood. Squared bottoms. And a sleeve for ur sleeping pad so when u toss n turn at night u stay on your pad.

aaronthebugbuffet
02-16-2011, 05:35
Sounds like a job for a Jacks R Better quilt to me. And they're a WB sponsor.

Check out some quilts.
You can wear the JRB Snivellers too.

Rocket Jones
02-16-2011, 07:50
If you're at all handy you can make your own quilt. I've got a Ray-Way quilt I made that I really like, and Thru-Hiker has a kit as well.

leaftye
02-16-2011, 08:01
A synthetic quilt can be very easy to make. Hopefully Climashield Apex becomes available to myog'ers very soon.

LIhikers
02-17-2011, 22:52
Check out the Montbell sleeping bags with the stretch feature. That allows you to easily move around in your sleep and find a comfortable position.

Tabasco
02-17-2011, 23:07
Marmot Wasatch. Great bag.