PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetically speaking, if a bear....

SiuWonfung
01-04-2005, 23:43
were to come after me and i climbeb up into a tree, and the bear climbeb up after me, could i kick the bear in the face or use a hiking staff to hit it in the face and knock it off the tree?
i'm thinking maybe not, but i don't know. Has anyone tried this bear-defense-tecnique before?

SGT Rock
01-04-2005, 23:49
No, not anyone that lived anyway.

grandview
01-05-2005, 00:11
i carry "guard alaska" for those rogue bears

steve hiker
01-05-2005, 00:18
If a bear climbs up the tree after you he's got something important to say and you BETTER LISTEN or he's gonna get pissed off and grab your boot and BITE and CHEW you until you end up bear scat.

Youngblood
01-05-2005, 04:30
were to come after me and i climbeb up into a tree, and the bear climbeb up after me, could i kick the bear in the face or use a hiking staff to hit it in the face and knock it off the tree?
i'm thinking maybe not, but i don't know. Has anyone tried this bear-defense-tecnique before?

On the AT you encounter black bears and they can out climb you. If one was after you it would come up the tree after you and if you tried to kick it, it would probably just eat your foot. But, that ain't too likely to happen... don't get between a mom and her cubs, understand the difference between "your food and the bears food" and don't try to imitate a female bear in the spring when the male bears have romance on their minds. :)

Youngblood

PKH
01-05-2005, 06:34
Nah. Just use that sword you're thinking of taking. Or since you're contemplating on not brushing your teeth for months, just breath on him. Daniel Boone or Davy Crocket did something like that I believe.

Just kidding of course - as I suspect you are. But if you're not - if a bear comes up a tree after you, ANYTHING that will work is great.

Cheers,

PKH

minnesotasmith
01-05-2005, 07:23
"Daniel Boone was a mannn..

Was a biiiiiig man;

But, the bear was bigger,

So, he ran like a [racial epithet]

Up a treeeee!"
============================

Old way to tell black bears from brown bears:
If it goes up a tree, it's a black bear.
If YOU go up a tree, it's a brown bear!;)

ed bell
01-05-2005, 10:36
Astounding, what an unfortunate post I just read. I just don't see that as being funny in any way. Shoulda left it in 1970 instead of sharing it here, IMO.

MOWGLI
01-05-2005, 10:48
Astounding, what an unfortunate post I just read. I just don't see that as being funny in any way. Shoulda left it in 1970 instead of sharing it here, IMO.

For being such a self-proclaimed intelligent person, he just doesn't "get it".
I find most of this individuals posts to be about as amusing & informative as a fart in church.

Thankfully, I don't believe he is really a hiker. You'll probably find a $100 bill on the trail before you run into this schmuck.

steve hiker
01-05-2005, 11:42
I find that jingle hilarious. Reminds me of others we'd say in grade school. Some of you are way too politically whipped for your own good.

Youngblood
01-05-2005, 13:43
... You'll probably find a $100 bill on the trail before you run into this schmuck.

About that $100 bill you found, it was mine!

Youngblood

minnesotasmith
01-05-2005, 13:56
MOWGLI said: "Thankfully, I don't believe he is really a hiker."

Looks like retraction time for MOWGLI!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6166&highlight=leaf+walk Post #16

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5807&page=3&pp=20&highlight=Approach+Trail
Posts #50 & 52-54

MOWGLI
01-05-2005, 14:12
MOWGLI said: "Thankfully, I don't believe he is really a hiker."

Looks like retraction time for MOWGLI!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6166&highlight=leaf+walk Post #16

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5807&page=3&pp=20&highlight=Approach+Trail
Posts #50 & 52-54

OK, so let me get this straight. In over 500 posts on Whiteblaze, you have posted about hiking exactly 4 times? You make my point better than I ever could.

By the way, I don't believe Youngblood was sticking up for you.

minnesotasmith
01-05-2005, 14:22
"In over 500 posts on Whiteblaze, you have posted about hiking exactly 4 times"

The majority of my posts on WB are related to hiking. I've posted more than that just on alcohol stove fuel alone.

Do you even fully read the content of posts people make who have crossed you before blowing off at them, MOWGLI? It doesn't look like it.

Youngblood
01-05-2005, 14:23
By the way, I don't believe Youngblood was sticking up for you. You're right, I was just trying to get my $100 back. Mine had a picture of Benjamin Franklin on it.

The Old Fhart
01-05-2005, 14:24
Mowgli16- minnesotasmith may be a hiker of sorts but it must be hard seeing the trail thru the eye-holes in that white sheet he wears :)

rickb
01-05-2005, 14:32
Ed Bell--

Thanks for speaking up. I cringe when I see such posts, too.

Rick Boudrie

Puck
01-05-2005, 14:38
Ijust read a book on bear attacks in Britich columbia. The writer states that black bear attacks in his area are usually preditory. Or a preditor response is triggered if somebody panics and runs away. he also talks about being treed by a bear. In his studies a bear will bite the foot and drag the person down for the meal. So if your life is passing before your eyes it is good to have a nice view.

If it is a sow protecting the younf just chasing you away suffices.

illininagel
01-05-2005, 14:52
Ed Bell--

Thanks for speaking up. I cringe when I see such posts, too.

Rick Boudrie

I agree. It's important to show some level of awareness and to ensure that everyone is able to enjoy the AT.

rpettit
01-05-2005, 15:14
Though I fortunately have no first hand experience with black bear attacks, everything that I have read indicates that you should not run, it might trigger a predator response from the bear. There is a lot of information available on the internet concerning this issue. I suggest that you take the time to educate yourself on this matter through a variety of resources. Black bears can run in excess of 30 mph and are extremely agile climbers. I'm not certain of their acceleration rate from 0 to 30, but I think it would be safe to assume that if I had to drop my pack, select a tree, run to the tree, I wouldn't make it before the bear hit me.

cakeman21k
01-05-2005, 15:37
Has there ever evne been a bear attack on the AT?

MOWGLI
01-05-2005, 15:46
Has there ever evne been a bear attack on the AT?

Not that I am aware of. A woman was killed in the Smokies in 2000, but on a side trail. That was the first fatality from a Black Bear in the US - East of the Mississippi - in like 100 years. A year or two later, an infant was killed in the Catskills in New York but that was 50 miles from the AT.

There are two chances that you'll be attacked by a Black Bear on the AT - slim & none.

Of course, bears are wild animals, so you don't want to approach them - to take their photo for instance. You also don't want to feed them - wittingly or otherwise. That can cause a real problem.

The best way to handle an aggressive black bear is to make yourself look big. Hold your arms up. Wave your hiking poles or hiking stick. Scream loudly. Make some serious noise. You don't want to run or play dead.

This is a moot point wherever bears are hunted - which is most of the trail. Your biggest problem areas will be GSMNP, Shenandoah & New Jersey.

If you are lucky enough to see a bear on the trail. Chances are you will be seeing the southbound side of a northbound bear. They'll be running like hell to get away from you.

rocket04
01-05-2005, 15:47
Has there ever evne been a bear attack on the AT? I'm pretty sure there have been posts about it before, and proportionally to the number of people hiking, the attacks have been few.

rocket04
01-05-2005, 15:50
Good thing there are better informed people than me here. I knew I'd read about bear attacks, but the side trail detail eluded me.

MOWGLI
01-05-2005, 15:58
Good thing there are better informed people than me here. I knew I'd read about bear attacks, but the side trail detail eluded me.

Here are accounts of the only 2 fatal bear attacks East of the Mississippi that I am aware of - both of them were off of the AT.

http://www.imagesbuilder.com/gsmnp/bear-attack-in-smokies.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/08/19/national/main519186.shtml

saimyoji
01-05-2005, 18:28
MS: another classic post. Its only a matter of time before that one is deleted. Again, some find them funny, others find them in very poor taste. I find it hard not to believe you do these on purpose.

rpetit: I would suggest you remove your pack and use it as a shield to deflect the charging bear. While he rolls off the trail you may be able to take out a sharp tool (knife, hiking pole, tent stake) to use as a weapon. I would just whip out my glock and fill it full or lead. Can you say bear steaks? :p

I'm also pretty sure the originator of this post is pleased to have started another lengthy discussion about nothing in particular, doomed to end in bickering, bashing, name calling.... I do find it amusing how we consistently take the bait. :datz

On the other hand, I'll never hit the trail without my toothbrush-sword!

Jack Tarlin
01-05-2005, 19:53
Minnesota:

Two days ago on another thread you accused me of misinterpreting your comments and damaging your reputation here at Whiteblaze.

I said: "You do that just fine on your own, what with repeated racist cracks, ethnic slurs, negative comments on people from other nations and other ignorant remarks too numerous to mention."

Thank you for taking less than 48 hours to prove my point. You came thru like a champion.

Again, if you don't want to put in the position for explaining, rationalizing, or excusing some of your your contributions here, there's an easy remedy: Don't make them in the first place.

A word of advice: Humor such as yours is as about as welcome on the Trail as it is here at Whiteblaze.....which is to say, not very.

That being said (unfortunately it was necessary to say it), I should add that while I've heard of several hikers allegedly being chased up trees by bears, I've NEVER heard of one being followed up one, at least not on the A.T.

Unless of course, it involved someone making racist and juvenile jokes aimed at bears.

The bears generally take a dim view of this.

The Old Fhart
01-05-2005, 20:03
Saimyoji-"On the other hand, I'll never hit the trail without my toothbrush-sword!" I certainly hope that isn't a combination tool that serves both purposes. It would be very bad to get the 2 functions mixed up! On the other hand, when I accidently mixed up my toothpaste and Preparation H, my lips puckered and when I passed gas, it smelled great. :D

Mr. Clean
01-07-2005, 14:15
He'd tell us what to do! :banana

steve hiker
01-07-2005, 15:14
If a bear climbs up the tree after you he's got something important to say and you BETTER LISTEN or he's gonna get pissed off and grab your boot and BITE and CHEW you until you end up bear scat.
That's right, listen to Papa Bear. As he opens his jaws. Listen reaal close.

saimyoji
01-07-2005, 19:43
In that case I would pull out my sword and offer to brush his teeth. :D

Deadeye
01-07-2005, 22:55
I've seen all of two bears in my life, despite living in bear country. The racists are far more dangerous. On second thought, all I've ever seen is a bear's backside, once sticking out of a trash can and once running away from me down the trail. With that in mind, I do use a bear canister for my food in the Adirondacks. I also carry my samurai sword/toothbrush/chopstick/corkscrew/MP3player/GPS/cellPhone/naugahideman tool and an ample supply of preparation H/toothpaste/Dr Bronner peppermint soap mixture. If I can't defeat the bear, I won't spend much time inside him, and my remains will be easily located and pleasant to pack out.

Ramble~On
01-09-2005, 07:18
What to do when you encounter a bear in da' woods.

Turn up the music and dance.

But don't share your moonshine with it....cause de' bear mosh violently when buzzed.:D

SGT Rock
01-09-2005, 09:18
I don't know.Jimmy Buffet has a bood one about bears getting drunk. Sounded more like two flips, a fly, a turn and a grunt... So simple, it plum evaded him.

Tractor
01-15-2005, 21:56
...I, too, thought the "make like you're bigger and make a loud noise" thing was the way to go. That didn't work for me last year in the Smokies with a momma & cubs. She wanted me OUT of the picture and NOW! Next time I'll redirect my way away from cubby's & momma WITHOUT saying a word, raising my voice, holding my little arms up w/walking stick and proceed at a steady pace (NOT running), trail or no trail, until I'm out of their space.

We were about 40 feet apart when I became aware of them. Perhaps we could have held at 30 if I hadn't freaked and pulled the "Hey Bear!" and held my arms ups as I was side shifting stage left after first charge.

I tried the loud & big thing and it made her VERY angry. I suspect she would have NOT approached as close as she did (10 feet) if I hadn't done what I saw on TV a few years ago. It worked for them but it didn't work for me this time. I should have spent more time stepping (not bolting) away than making big.

weary
01-15-2005, 22:58
.....I think it would be safe to assume that if I had to drop my pack, select a tree, run to the tree, I wouldn't make it before the bear hit me.
Most likely, the bear would stop and sniff your pack and probably open it, giving you plenty of time to just walk away. Black bear attacks on humans are extremely rare -- something like a handful a century.

Weary

oldfivetango
01-16-2005, 09:05
Here are accounts of the only 2 fatal bear attacks East of the Mississippi that I am aware of - both of them were off of the AT.

http://www.imagesbuilder.com/gsmnp/bear-attack-in-smokies.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/08/19/national/main519186.shtml- OK- I went out to the first site.This somehow doesn't count as an AT
Bear attack because it was a side trail-glad to know the AT bears all know
how to behave!
- That said-maybe i am paranoid, but at my age you learn to "read between the lines". First flag that came up was the fact that the lady was out there with the EX husband.They or she was, i believe, on a sandbar? Isn't that kind of like a little island?(sorta hard to escape from?) The husband goes off and leaves her alone and when he comes back, two bears,one weighing 112 lbs and one weighing 40 lbs are guarding her dead body.THE ARTICLE STATES THAT HER FOOD PACK WAS NOT TOUCHED!!!!!!!!
- Law enforecment is "almost 100 % certain" that the bears were responsible for the death but a necropsy would confirm this.I did not see
a necropsy report in the article however.
- Ok- let's see what we got here then. An EX husband gets the wife to
go out in the wilderness with him.Maybe it was to cement relations in the
marriage or maybe not.In any event he leaves her alone out there on a sandbar-ie,no trees around.Two bears,(SMALL ONES i might add) show up
on the scene.They decide to eat the lady but leave her food bag alone.
After he runs for help, 17 government employees show up to render assistance; proving once again that the "police" cannot protect you in an
emergency.The government employees state that they "are almost 100%
certain" that the bears were responsible for the death.You gotta love that
kind of comittment to an opinion!
- In any event, the EX husband is no longer paying alimony now is he?
Maybe I've been watching too much CSI but this one just doesn't sound
or smell just right to me.Maybe the bear was framed or maybe it was a case
of "self-defense" with the mama bear protecting her cub.But when it's all over-you got a dead divorced lady,an EX off the hook,two skinny bears(dead),and a food bag that was UNTOUCHED.hmmmmmmmm........
Oldfivetango:-?

minnesotasmith
01-16-2005, 14:19
1) There is an obvious reason why the bears might have killed her, but not touched her food bag. After killing her, chewing on her may have been filling enough that the bears had no immediate motivation to look elsewhere for food. Too, if her food was well-sealed (cans, canisters) plus having no meat and nothing heavily spiced, it may not have been particularly odiferous.

2) Alimony by name is by no means universally awarded by divorce courts these days (child support taking its place as a rule), especially for women that have a job or career that can potentially support them. The article indicated that the woman was a schoolteacher. Teachers in some places in this country can make $60K+ with 20 years experience, and being age 50, she was in that ballpark. For all we know, she had higher income from her job than he did from his; conceivably, she may have been paying alimony to him. Besides, any alimony award may have been as a lump sum that had already been transferred; killing her now would do nothing to reverse a past award.

Since she was an ex-wife, if there was no court-ordered alimony or child-support award, then, with the end of marriage ending the usual legal obligation of a man to support his wife, this man may have had zero financial incentive to be happy about his ex-wife's death. I don't recall that there was a mention of children in the article. In the absence of evidence that that man had financial motivation to kill his ex-wife, believing he did would be IMO most premature.

Bloodroot
01-16-2005, 14:41
1) There is an obvious reason why the bears might have killed her, but not touched her food bag. After killing her, chewing on her may have been filling enough that the bears had no immediate motivation to look elsewhere for food. Too, if her food was well-sealed (cans, canisters) plus having no meat and nothing heavily spiced, it may not have been particularly odiferous.

2) Alimony by name is by no means universally awarded by divorce courts these days (child support taking its place as a rule), especially for women that have a job or career that can potentially support them. The article indicated that the woman was a schoolteacher. Teachers in some places in this country can make $60K+ with 20 years experience, and being age 50, she was in that ballpark. For all we know, she had higher income from her job than he did from his; conceivably, she may have been paying alimony to him. Besides, any alimony award may have been as a lump sum that had already been transferred; killing her now would do nothing to reverse a past award.

Since she was an ex-wife, if there was no court-ordered alimony or child-support award, then, with the end of marriage ending the usual legal obligation of a man to support his wife, this man may have had zero financial incentive to be happy about his ex-wife's death. I don't recall that there was a mention of children in the article. In the absence of evidence that that man had financial motivation to kill his ex-wife, believing he did would be IMO most premature.
The words of wisdom here ladies and gentlemen! Troll strikes again.

saimyoji
01-16-2005, 16:43
You overlook the obvious: that he just wanted to see the ***** dead, eaten by bears.:D

Percival
01-16-2005, 17:36
The ex-husband was an obvious suspect but this was investigated thoroughly and he was ruled out as having anything to do with the death. Pieces of the woman were found in the both bears stomachs afterward. For whatever reasons, the bear killed this hiker. Maybe old Smoky was just tired of all the human noise in her backyard.