PDA

View Full Version : ULA Circuit, aluminum stay or not???

Big Suave
02-14-2011, 23:32
Just got my new Circuit and I'm ecstatic. I was wondering who was using them and if you're using the aluminum stay or not and the benefits you're seeing either way. Thanks

skinewmexico
02-14-2011, 23:51
Using the stay. Transfers weight to the hip belt better. Only adds a few oz.

Big Suave
02-15-2011, 00:08
Thanks man. Yeah, it's only 2 oz and I figure if it does any good it's definitely worth it.

FamilyGuy
02-15-2011, 01:01
It would be unnecessary for under 30 lbs or so as the carbon hoop and wide belt do a great job of weight transfer. Over that weight, the benefits will be felt. The weight is a bit arbitrary though (just used for example).

Miner
02-15-2011, 21:39
In my 2009 model, it was possible to remove it if you wanted to.

Miner
02-15-2011, 21:41
I accidentaly hit post before I was done.

What I was trying to say was try it both ways since you can take it out. It helps with heavier loads. For under mid 20's you won't likely notice it much. But above that it does have some benefits, the more weight the more benefit.

pafarmboy
02-15-2011, 22:08
Absolutely best 2 oz of extra weight you can have. Definitely use it.

frisbeefreek
02-16-2011, 22:30
I took the stay out of my Circuit on my thru, but my pack weight never exceeded 28#. In retrospect, I would have been happier with the Ohm, but I needed a pack that could carry 35# when I'm out west.

Megapixel
02-16-2011, 22:54
we just got the new circuit and did a shakedown day hike of only baseweight with the stay one day and without another. The pack was packed exactly the same way.
Conclusion?
With the stay the pack seemed tighter. Tighter to my body, less movement. Will definitely be keeping it in.

STICK
02-17-2011, 00:17
I too have left my stay in my new Circuit. I am willing to suffer the extra weight for a better load carry. The only trip I got to use it on so far though I carried 20 pounds (including pack) so hard to say, but it carried like a dream. I will be leaving on a 3 day trip soon and will probably be carrying closer to 27 pounds, possibly more, depending on what I decide to carry for food and how much water I will need to carry. Planning no more than about 32 or 33 though..

http://stick13.wordpress.com/gear/my-current-gear/backpack/ula-circuit/

sandylwes
02-18-2011, 19:20
I ordered the stay, but have never used it...havnet felt the need....pack weight has been 35 + pounds leaving resupply spots with full load of water..
sandy

stranger
02-22-2011, 00:11
Other than sheer weight transfer, other benefits of using the stay include a better fit against your back (see below) and minimizing the 'barrelling' effect of the back plate, so keeping the back plate flat to increase surface area between you and the pack.

I would recommend removing the stay and getting someone who knows what they are doing to bend it to fit your back, I like ULA but their prebends are terrible.

Personally speaking, it's hard to get this pack to weight more than 20-25lbs all up in my experience, so you are probably fine without the stay unless you strap crap all over the outside, etc...

FamilyGuy
02-22-2011, 00:19
Other than sheer weight transfer, other benefits of using the stay include a better fit against your back

Only if the stay is bent to the shape of your back. Otherwise it will do the opposite.

d.o.c
02-22-2011, 10:27
didnt have a stay in mine but a few times after a hefty resuply it would hve been helpful but it did fine 90% of the time during my thru and since.. how much do they cost if i was to get one now??

d.o.c
02-22-2011, 10:28
i imagine i could make one

Matty427
02-27-2011, 04:29
Maybe a dumb question, but how should the stay be bent to my back? I too have a ULA and haven't been experiencing the same amazing level of comfort that others have and want to figure out why.

Should it be bent to be basically in line with my back? Again, sorry if it's a silly question, but after looking around I couldn't find much info on the subject.

I would recommend removing the stay and getting someone who knows what they are doing to bend it to fit your back, I like ULA but their prebends are terrible.

stranger
02-27-2011, 08:55
Not a dumb question, and it's becoming harder and harder to find good packfitters in this day and age.

The 'best' way to do it is to bring the pack to a shop that is known for having competent packfitters, they should load up the pack, see where the pack is missing, and bend the stay accordingly. Good shops will have a bending jig, if they don't then most people use their knee or lower thigh to bend the stay over.

I just tried to type a 'how to' guide on this and it just doesn't translate, it won't work reading the words. It's best to bring it to someone, or if problematic, just remove the stay - you don't need it.

If you have specific problems send me an PM and I will do my best to help you. Remember, ULA is very popular but in my experience, and I've forgotten more about packs than most people will ever know, ULA has a terrible prebend, and their shoulder harness 'cut' isn't the best either.

Don't believe the hype, packs are like shoes, they fit people differently, and personal preference goes into alot of it. So your buddy might love his ULA, that doesn't mean you are going to, like food...tastes vary, like shoes...fit is everything.