PDA

View Full Version : 50-60 miles in Shenandoah?

shelb
02-14-2011, 23:50
Looking to hike Virginia in July or August with my 2 sons (12 & 14). Can anyone suggest a good 50-60 mile section?

We did 60 miles of NCT in Michigan's UP last summer, and 50 mile section of AT from Harpers to PenMar the summer before.

Thanks!

Spider
02-15-2011, 01:11
Although I haven't done all of SNP yet, I've done a good chunk of it. In my experience, everything I've seen has been really nice, great trail and great shelters. Only thing I'd suggest is starting at either the north or the south entrance to the park. That way next time you take a trip there you can just pickup where you left off.
Though since you mentioned you've been south to Harpers, maybe you could pickup there and hike to front royal (not sure the distance for that) and then however much more you want in SNP. Just an idea.
Good luck on your trip! I wish I was going on hikes like that when I was that age!

Cookerhiker
02-15-2011, 07:59
The distance from Rockfish Gap in the south to the northernmost crossing of Skyline Drive at Compton Gap is 102 miles with an additional 5 1/2 miles down the ridge to Rt. 522 outside Front Royal. The Big Meadows area is about 60 miles from the south end and 40 miles from the Compton Gap. So I suggest doing one of these halves.

Starting your hike from either end (Rockfish Gap or Rt. 522) means you start with a 1,500' ascent but the upside is you get to end at Big Meadows where you can celebrate with a dinner at the lodge. Beginning at Big Meadows is an easier start i.e. no initial ascent.

You can't go wrong with either section - have fun!

Firefighter503
02-15-2011, 17:02
We did a 4 (or 5) day from US-522 (Front Royal) to Harper's Ferry last year that was pretty good. If you go NOBO, it starts off easy and then gets into the Roller Coaster and Devil's Turnpike (which is subjective) and then into HF.

Firefighter503
02-15-2011, 17:03
Edit: That is just over 53 miles, and through Sky Meadows, which I really enjoyed walking through cause of the views down into towns.

CrumbSnatcher
02-15-2011, 17:10
Looking to hike Virginia in July or August with my 2 sons (12 & 14). Can anyone suggest a good 50-60 mile section?

We did 60 miles of NCT in Michigan's UP last summer, and 50 mile section of AT from Harpers to PenMar the summer before.

Thanks!come-on dad lets hike the entire SNP section of the APPALACHIAN TRAIL. its only 40 more miles:D

Trail Bug
02-15-2011, 17:11
Water may be a problem that time of year in the souther section.

bigcranky
02-15-2011, 19:24
We did the 65 miles from Swift Run Gap (US 33) to Front Royal in June a few years ago. Very nice hike, though it was unusually hot. Stopping at the waysides for food and cold drinks was awesome.

coheterojo
02-15-2011, 19:39
I don't see how anyone could have a water issue on the AT in the Shenandoahs. If you run out just walk over to the highway and flag down a tourist for some water.

That's what the faint-of-heart were doing last year when I went through in mid-June.....or so the story goes.

Blissful
02-15-2011, 19:41
Water may be a problem that time of year in the souther section.

Yeah you have to watch water south of Blackrock.
I'd do from Swift run gap in SNP north to Rt 522. Most interesting park features in central and north areas. Take side trails to Bearfence, Dark Hollow Falls, Stony Man cliffs, White Oak Canyon, etc. Get food at the waysides at Big meadows and Elkwallow, or a nice lunch at Skyland

johnnybgood
02-15-2011, 20:36
Take the time to see the interesting aspects of Shenandoah as noted above . Include in that list ; Marys Rock , Hawksbill Summit ( highest elevation in the park @ 4,050) and the summit of Sugarloaf Mt. ,all within a short walking distance from the AT.

Personally , I would culminate by finishing at Big Meadows where you could eat a meal at the wayside resturaunt and celebrate with ice cream or a smooth blackberry shake afterwards.

shelb
02-16-2011, 00:28
come-on dad lets hike the entire SNP section of the APPALACHIAN TRAIL. its only 40 more miles:D

LOL... It's MOM! Dad has a bum knee and only goes for the canoe/portage trip like Boundary Waters ...(this July!).

Perhaps I will try to convince the boys they can do it! From what I gather, it is much more level than what we did from Harpers to Pen Mar, correct? (I am still waiting for my new AT Trail book to arrive...I learned the hard way and left all but the pages I needed in a shelter 2 years ago to reduce weight!).

I do have to watch the time...plan on departing Michigan and being back within 10 days...

tuswm
02-16-2011, 00:35
I liked the southern half of SNP the best. I also like the section of PA between penmar and boiling springs PA. The southern half of SNP has better views but southern PA is flatter and has better shelters.

Cookerhiker
02-16-2011, 09:10
LOL... It's MOM! Dad has a bum knee and only goes for the canoe/portage trip like Boundary Waters ...(this July!).

Perhaps I will try to convince the boys they can do it! From what I gather, it is much more level than what we did from Harpers to Pen Mar, correct? (I am still waiting for my new AT Trail book to arrive...I learned the hard way and left all but the pages I needed in a shelter 2 years ago to reduce weight!).

I do have to watch the time...plan on departing Michigan and being back within 10 days...

So if you have 8 days of hiking time, you need to average 13 mpd to hike the entirety of SNP. Could you do it? Probably. But do you really want to make finishing SNP a priority vis-a-vis taking time at overlooks and mountaintops and enjoying treats at the waysides?

It's important for you to enjoy the hike but equally important, you want the hike to be a pleasurable experience for your sons. Only you know your collective desires and capabilities. I'm just saying don't put too much pressure on yourselves to "finish."

fredmugs
02-16-2011, 10:10
If I only hiked 13 mpd in SNP I would die of boredom. Plan your snack breaks around the overlooks and your meals around the waysides.

ekeverette
02-16-2011, 11:20
i will be hiking section hike in september from rockfish gap to frontroyal, it's about 70 miles. i've hiked that region my whole life, and it's beautiful.

CrumbSnatcher
02-16-2011, 11:29
So if you have 8 days of hiking time, you need to average 13 mpd to hike the entirety of SNP. Could you do it? Probably. But do you really want to make finishing SNP a priority vis-a-vis taking time at overlooks and mountaintops and enjoying treats at the waysides?

It's important for you to enjoy the hike but equally important, you want the hike to be a pleasurable experience for your sons. Only you know your collective desires and capabilities. I'm just saying don't put too much pressure on yourselves to "finish."
i wasn't trying to say death march the kids, i was looking at it thru the kids eye's. some kids might want to do the side trail and all, but some kids might get a bigger kick out of completing the entire park section. mom will know best, when the time comes

Blissful
02-16-2011, 12:03
I liked the southern half of SNP the best. I also like the section of PA between penmar and boiling springs PA. The southern half of SNP has better views but southern PA is flatter and has better shelters.

Disagree about the southern half having better views, but that's my personal opinion. I mean Blackrock is nice, but the trail does not go over any peaks hardly at all in the south (except maybe Hightop). Its also very dry except the Ivy Creek area and north from Simmons Gap. In the central you have Bearfence. One whole nine mile stretch between Big Meadows and Skyland is all views as it follows a ridge. There's Marys Rock. Up in the North there are the Marshalls, Hogback, Compton Peak etc. You have much better selection of views and waterfalls opportunities Swift Run to Front Royal. Plus eating :)

Blissful
02-16-2011, 12:06
i will be hiking section hike in september from rockfish gap to frontroyal, it's about 70 miles. i've hiked that region my whole life, and it's beautiful.

Too bad you can't wait a few weeks and go mid Oct. Even better :)

CrumbSnatcher
02-16-2011, 12:42
i will be hiking section hike in september from rockfish gap to frontroyal, it's about 70 miles. I've hiked that region my whole life, and it's beautiful.
rockfish to front royal is 107 miles:-? Isn't it

inabag
02-16-2011, 13:18
My favorite section of the AT through SNP that I have done so far is over Mill Mountain. Great views looking west. I have not hiked much in the southern portion of SNP, but everything from 211 north that I have done has been fun.

jlo
02-16-2011, 15:02
I agree with crumbsnatcher....if you can, hike the whole park. It's really just such a beautiful place and easy, level hiking once you get into it. It is a little over 100 miles, but really nice. And it's really easy to get off the trail (should you need to with the kids) since it's right on skyline drive and the tourists tend to be real friendly :)
Oh, but if you could go in October when the leaves are changing, even better!!

Cookerhiker
02-16-2011, 15:08

rockfish to front royal is 107 miles:-? Isn't it

Ekeverette must have meant Swift Run, not Rockfish - at 62 miles, a little closer.

OldFeet
02-17-2011, 13:00
Lewis Mountain Campground to route 522 in Front Royal is 54 miles which seems to be about the distance you're looking for. The last few miles to 522 are actually outside the park. This would take you past Hawksbill, a side trip, and Mary's Rocks, a shorter side trip, and offers some pretty good views. It also takes you past the Skyline and Big Meadow lodges which give the kids a great chance to stop for a snack or milkshake if they're interested.

inabag
02-18-2011, 16:50
My favorite section of the AT through SNP that I have done so far is over Mill Mountain. Great views looking west. I have not hiked much in the southern portion of SNP, but everything from 211 north that I have done has been fun.

Wow can you not edit posts? I meant to say Marshall Mountains, not Mill Mountain (which is in WV).

Cookerhiker
02-18-2011, 17:57
Wow can you not edit posts? I meant to say Marshall Mountains, not Mill Mountain (which is in WV).

Yes, you can edit posts. Here's how. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=donating_member)

harryfred
02-19-2011, 18:26
I'm seeing that as 107 miles. I am planing the same hike for the end of Sept. Currently I'm figuring on doing it in 11 days. Would you like to get together. I'm trying to talk BadAndy in to it also and will seek assistance from JohnnyBeGood

shelb
02-19-2011, 22:36
It also takes you past the Skyline and Big Meadow lodges which give the kids a great chance to stop for a snack or milkshake if they're interested.

lol... "If they're interested" ...what kid isn't! :rolleyes:

THANK EVERYONE for your responses!!!
I actually read each and every post, making notes on my Thru-Hikers Companion!

As much as I would like to hike the entire SNP, (and probably one of my boys), my 12 year old is not at that point. He claims that he "hates to hike, but loves to talk." He looks at hiking as a hours of talking time with the focus of attention on him. (Actually, I have to admit that the time spent talking to my 2 sons is definitely one of the high points of these trips!)

At this point, I am planning a SB from Front Royal (522) to Big Meadows. While Lewis Mountain isn't too far away, I see Big Meadows, with its shakes and campground (plus showers!) as being a great culmination for our trip. Per your info, we will be alert for the views of: Compton Peak, Marshall Mountains, Hogback, (food at Elk Wallow), Mary's rock, Stony Mountain, (food at Skyland), and Hawksbill Mountain.

One poster mentioned Dark Hollow Falls, but I was unable to find that on any of my maps:-?.

If you have any other suggestions, please let me know. We are planning on spending 5 days on the trail and 2 days sightseeing in Virginia (Thomas Jefferson's Monticello, Appomattox, Fredericksburg, Manassas, Blue Ridge Parkway, and the Booker T. Washington National Historic Site,

THANKS!!!

~Mama B.

Blissful
02-19-2011, 22:45
Dark Hollow Falls is right by Big Meadows. THE attraction for those staying at the campground there. It's on the opposite side of the Skyline Drive from the AT - you'd have to come off the AT to find it going SOBO - but if you really want to see a waterfall on an easy trail, take the horse trail from the AT at Fishers Gap which will dump you near the visitor center parking lot, then walk down the Skyline Drive to the trailhead, it will be on your right (you would backtrack north just a bit). It looks like you're getting off at Big Meadows anyway.

Just FYI - I think the trail is harder southbound than northbound. I have done it both ways. You'll have a climb out of Front Royal which might take you longer than you think. Honestly, I'd still go on at Swift Run Gap and hike north (maybe end at Elkwallow. You could walk down the side trail and camp at Matthews Arm). Much easier, esp if you have a 12 year old that doesn't like to hike.

Cookerhiker
02-19-2011, 23:55
....If you have any other suggestions, please let me know. We are planning on spending 5 days on the trail and 2 days sightseeing in Virginia (Thomas Jefferson's Monticello, Appomattox, Fredericksburg, Manassas, Blue Ridge Parkway, and the Booker T. Washington National Historic Site,

THANKS!!!

~Mama B.

Re. your hike, it sounds like you have the "high"lights pretty well identified. The only other attraction you may want to consider on your hike is White Oak Canyon which has pretty waterfalls bordered by rocks and hemlocks. But it is straight down and back up again.

Re. your sightseeing, all the places you've mentioned are nice but I caution you to be very mindful of potentially awful traffic if you visit Manassas & Fredericksburg. You don't want to spend your precious family vacation time stuck in bumper-to-bumper mess. For example, if you chose to spend a weekday afternoon at Manassas and leave around 5, you'll be in manifestly horrible rush "hour" (it's more like 3 hours in the DC area) when you join the crowds heading west if you're going back to the mountains.

I don't like being alarmist but I lived for 35 years in the MD suburbs of DC and saw the traffic en-route to my many trips to Shenandoah get steadily worse and worse every year. Going anyplace within a 50 mile radius of DC requires strategizing!

Since you have only 2 days for non-hiking sightseeing, you'll fill them up with Monticello, Ash Lawn, other Charlottesville sites, Appomattox, & the BRP. Also, have you been to Harpers Ferry? It's quite interesting.

Skyline
02-20-2011, 00:54
Re. your hike, it sounds like you have the "high"lights pretty well identified. The only other attraction you may want to consider on your hike is White Oak Canyon which has pretty waterfalls bordered by rocks and hemlocks. But it is straight down and back up again.

Re. your sightseeing, all the places you've mentioned are nice but I caution you to be very mindful of potentially awful traffic if you visit Manassas & Fredericksburg. You don't want to spend your precious family vacation time stuck in bumper-to-bumper mess. For example, if you chose to spend a weekday afternoon at Manassas and leave around 5, you'll be in manifestly horrible rush "hour" (it's more like 3 hours in the DC area) when you join the crowds heading west if you're going back to the mountains.

I don't like being alarmist but I lived for 35 years in the MD suburbs of DC and saw the traffic en-route to my many trips to Shenandoah get steadily worse and worse every year. Going anyplace within a 50 mile radius of DC requires strategizing!

Since you have only 2 days for non-hiking sightseeing, you'll fill them up with Monticello, Ash Lawn, other Charlottesville sites, Appomattox, & the BRP. Also, have you been to Harpers Ferry? It's quite interesting.

Strategizing--good idea.

We get a lot of hikers from the DC area with exactly these traffic and logistics issues. Easily resolved by leaving DC or NOVA about 7 or 7:30pm (usually after the worst of the rush hours), arriving at our basecamp (free to shuttle clients) just north of Luray about 8:30 or 9pm.

They can stay with us (free) in an AT shelter-type environment with a few extra amenities, park with us (free) and get a shuttle the next morning (not free) to their hike's start point, then get a shuttle (often lower cost than the original shuttle) from their hike's end point back to their vehicle safely parked on our property. Or we can follow them the next morning, position their vehicle up in SNP, then shuttle them to their start point so they can hike back to their positioned vehicle (no need for the second shuttle this way).

More details at www.snpshuttle.com (http://www.snpshuttle.com). Click on "Park or stay with us" on the website to read about the basecamp's features.

Front Royal Mike
02-20-2011, 08:10
cookerhiker is right, traffic around manassas is bad,if you are going to be in the Fredericksburg area might I suggest you proceed 45 mins south on rt. 3 to Stratford Plantation.Stratford is in my opinion the most historically significant home in the country,built from 1733 to 1738 it was the home to the greatest family of patriots this country ever produced. Thomas Lee (the builder )fathered two signers of the declaration of independence,as well two other sons who were diplomatically involved in the success of the revolution .Robert E Lee,civil war general and son of Va. governor and rev war hero ,Light Horse Harry Lee,was born here as well.This often overlooked property has been restored to its original splendor and is worth of a visit.BTW there are some trails on the property,beware ow Stratford Cliffs(long drop to the river ) and do take deet ,ticks are very bad here.

shelb
07-11-2011, 01:51
O.K. We are doing the entire SNP....

How does this sound?

Day miles Destination

Day 1
Calf Mtn

Day 2
Black Rock Hut

Day 3
Pinefield Hut

Day 4
Hightop Hut

Day 5
BearFence Mtn Hut

Day 6
Big Meadows Wayside

Rock Spring Hut

Day 7
Skyland (bfast)

Pass Mtn Hut

Day 8
Elkwallow (food)

Gravel Springs Hut

Day 9
Front Royal 4H pklot: campgrd

chiefiepoo
07-11-2011, 10:18
Very relaxed scheule that ought to allow for side trips to peak tops and shady stream side trails. IIRC, just after calf mtn. there is a spring that is the last water hole till Black Rock. If you could, stash some water at Rip Rap parking area for a late in the day fill up.