PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions Welcome!

EastCoastFeastCoast
02-15-2011, 00:14
Been snooping around a while, and gotta say thanks for all the good insight on a daily basis. It's been a few years since I've been hiking, all of the buddies are getting together and we are going to start up again. That being said, most of my gear is old, however there have been some new additions to the setup. I'm looking for a new pack (so far thinking around 50-60L) and could use some suggestions on an affordable and good quality pack. Doing some overnights as well as up to 3 day trips. PLEASE let me know what you think of my setup as well (any and all constructive criticism welcome, too!)

Taking with me:

Mountain Hardwear Twin Arch 2 tent (+footprint / compression sack / MSR Groundhog stakes)
Marmot Trestles 30 bag (+Compression sack)
Jetboil Flash
MSR Sweetwater
Platypus 2L
2-32oz Nalgene bottles (1 for "Apple Pie")
Bare bones first aid kit
Gerber Gorge shovel
Chacos (camp shoes)
Gerber Multitool
Gerber Gator (Won't leave home without it)
Saw
Full change of clothes (+ Rain Jacket)
Black Diamond Headlamp (Halogen + 2 LED)
Dri-Fit bandana
Trek Towel
Lensatic Compass + Waterproof Map
Lighter / spork
Snow Peak titanium 450ml cup ("Apple Pie" again)
T.P.
STARBUCKS READYBREW (a must)
Crazy Creek Longback
ThermaRest ProLite 3 Regular
Black Diamond Trailback poles (2)

Thanks again!

EastCoastFeastCoast
02-15-2011, 00:15
Side note, fairly stout fella- 5'11 185.

Chubbs4U
02-15-2011, 01:30
Welcome and Im pretty much in the same boat as you. This site is amazing with all the knowledge, insight and stories. I recently got this pack for 139. Look around but I usually got to STP, or REI. Always discounts to be had.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/311,2115W_Gregory-Teton-60-Backpack-Internal-Frame.html

royalusa
02-15-2011, 08:33
We've owned several of the Gossamer Gear and ULA packs and love them. Also love the fact that they are made in the USA! Both are well-known and respected American cottage industry businesses.

http://gossamergear.com/

http://www.ula-equipment.com/

Just be sure to know what weight you plan on carrying and buy the pack designed for that weight.

royalusa
02-15-2011, 08:43
The things on your list that pop out to me are the Gerber Gorge shovel and the saw.

Is your shovel one of those metal ones that weigh 1.3 pounds? If so, you might want to consider a plastic one, if you really want to carry one. Some folks just use the end of their hiking pole to dig a cat hole.

You might also want to rethink the saw. Is this for trail maintenance that you might come across or for cutting wood for camp fires? You might find that there is enough smaller debris around for a camp fire that does not need sawed, though it's not a guarantee. I found it interesting when a GSMNP ranger that I spoke with recently said more and more folks are getting away from campfires.

Have fun!

EastCoastFeastCoast
02-15-2011, 09:05
Thank you all for the advice! First i need to weigh all this crap and find out how much it is. Yes the shovel is pretty heavy, however it's sitting in the closet, so i might invest in a cheap ole plastic one (good idea). The saw is for cutting wood for camp fires, what we found in the past is that good wood is hard to find sometimes. The rangers usually have some trees downed but not always cut up, we take it upon ourselves to cut em up real nice for everyone after us as well. And we love out campfires. So is the 50-60L pack about the right size for all this crap? And thank you for your suggestions! I've heard great things about the ULA as well as Osprey packs.

EastCoastFeastCoast
02-15-2011, 09:31
Ok weight total is about 17lb so let's say 18-20 to be safe with food n such. (less than I thought!!)

royalusa
02-15-2011, 10:28
As far as the ULA packs go, based on your list, I think you're looking at the Catalyst. If I read your post right, your base weight (everything but food and water) is about 17 pounds. Count on food being 2-3 pounds per day. And add a few pounds for water. Although ULA is not carried in a lot of stores, you can buy one, load up your gear including food/water, walk around the block with it and if it doesn't feel right for you, you can always return it just for the price of shipping. But I think you'll find you love it.

EastCoastFeastCoast
02-15-2011, 19:15
Went to the local shop (Shout out to River Sports Outfitters, David you're the man!) and spent about an hour and a half trying on different packs and various fits and systemsettings... ended up going with a Deuter Futura Vario Pro 50+10. Most all of the packs i looked at were very nice, but this one just fit me perfectly. The adjustable frame let me get it dialed in perfectly, also my broad shoulders didn't help me with most of the Osprey's... The Gregory packs fit very well but the Deuter was the leader in every category. I want to say THANK YOU to Royal and Chubbs for the advice.

EastCoastFeastCoast
02-16-2011, 18:55
Got the pack home and loaded it with all my gear for a 3day setup... just a tad bit too tight. Took it back and of course they don't make a 60+10... Went with the ACT Lite 65+10... it's the bomb.