PDA

View Full Version : tvp???

twsmith001
02-15-2011, 00:20
has anyone had any exp with this stuff....did a seach couldnt find it....

RayBan
02-15-2011, 06:41
Textured vegetable protein or tvp: I've cooked with it and find its taste generally bland and so usually add some flavoring or mix it with already flavored food that I want to add more protein to. It rehydrates well and quickly just by itself and makes a good addition to something like potato flakes for a relatively quick on-trail meal requiring no cooking, only water and 5-10 minutes to become edible.

markc7
02-15-2011, 09:04
Good stuff. Easy to cook with, contains a decent amount of protein, and takes on the flavour of whatever you're cooking with it (no real taste of its own). Bulk food stores or health food stores sell it.

couscous
02-15-2011, 10:10
TVP Brand Suggestions - http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=68700
TVP References - http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=68696
Gallon of TVP - http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=66870
TVP References 12,13,16 - http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=67600

twsmith001
02-15-2011, 15:01
wow couscous you just made look like a total noob but thanks, found this site that already had text veggies preflavored usaemergencysupply.com anyone tried this or do I have to be the guinney pig:-?

twsmith001
02-15-2011, 15:04
oh yeah and thanks to everyone else that chimed in. i was trying to find something besides pancakes and bacon and instant potato's to take with me on trail. cant stand noodles pasta beens or rice....and that kinda is what im finding alot of besides snickers pop tarts and whatlike

sarbar
02-15-2011, 16:39
If you want the flavored kind, check out www.harmonyhousefoods.com - theirs is good tasting.

twsmith001
02-15-2011, 17:15
thanks sarbar ill give them a try, much appreciated

couscous
02-15-2011, 17:42
cant stand noodles pasta beens or rice....and that kinda is what im finding alot of besides snickers pop tarts and whatlike

Can't stand pasta? :eek: Life without couscous .. I can't imagine that!

Chance09
02-15-2011, 22:11
careful before you go buy a ton of TVP eat some first. After eating it for a week straight people refused to hike with me anymore. I didn't even want to hike with myself. It wreaked havoc on my digestive tract and I would liken the experience to having Giardia. I know that i am not the only one to find the same thing happening to them either.

mkmangold
02-16-2011, 02:21
careful before you go buy a ton of TVP eat some first. After eating it for a week straight people refused to hike with me anymore. I didn't even want to hike with myself. It wreaked havoc on my digestive tract and I would liken the experience to having Giardia. I know that i am not the only one to find the same thing happening to them either.
You like man-boobs? Eat soy: "The billion-dollar soy industry has profited immensely from the anti-cholesterol, anti-meat gospel of current nutritional thought. Whereas, not so long ago, soy was an Asian phenomenon, now soy products proliferate in the North American market. While the traditionally fermented soy products of miso, shoyu, tempeh and natto are definitely healthful in measured amounts, the hyper-processed soy "foods" are not.
Non-fermented soybeans are extremely high in phytic acid, an anti-nutrient that binds to minerals in the digestive tract and carries them out of the body. Vegetarians are known for their high rates of iron and zinc deficiencies.

Soybeans are also rich in trypsin inhibitors, which hinder protein digestion. Textured vegetable protein (TVP), soy "milk" and soy protein powders, and popular vegetarian meat and milk substitutes are entirely fragmented foods made by treating soybeans with high heat and various alkaline washes to extract the beans' fat content or to neutralise their potent enzyme inhibitors. These practices completely denature the beans' protein content, rendering it very hard to digest. MSG, a neurotoxin, is routinely added to TVP to make it taste like the various foods it imitates.

On a purely nutritional level, soybeans, like all legumes, are deficient in cysteine and methionine, vital sulphur-containing amino acids. Soybeans are also lacking in tryptophan, another essential amino acid.

Furthermore, soybeans contain no vitamins A or D, required by the body to assimilate and utilise the beans' proteins. It is probably for this reason that Asian cultures that do consume soybeans usually combine them with fish or fish broths, The New Zealand government is considering removing soy formula from the market and making it available only by prescription.

Though research is still ongoing, some recent studies have indicated that soy's phyto-estrogens could be causative factors in breast cancer and infantile leukaemia. Regardless, soy's phyto-estrogens, or isoflavones, have been shown to depress thyroid function and cause infertility in some animals. As a practitioner, I have seen more than my share of vegetarians with hypothyroidism. They invariably rely on soy foods to get their protein."

sarbar
02-17-2011, 12:52
TVP can definitely give one the worst gas you will ever know and or runs to the privy. So start small and work up! 2 Tbsp dry is plenty per person.

Luddite
02-17-2011, 13:25
"MSG, a neurotoxin, is routinely added to TVP to make it taste like the various foods it imitates."

"It wreaked havoc on my digestive tract and I would liken the experience to having Giardia."

"TVP can definitely give one the worst gas you will ever know and or runs to the privy."

Even though I'm a vegetarian, I think I'd rather eat meat than that crap.

RayBan
02-17-2011, 14:11
You like man-boobs? Eat soy: "The billion-dollar soy industry has profited immensely from the anti-cholesterol, anti-meat gospel of current nutritional thought. Whereas, not so long ago, soy was an Asian phenomenon, now soy products proliferate in the North American market. While the traditionally fermented soy products of miso, shoyu, tempeh and natto are definitely healthful in measured amounts, the hyper-processed soy "foods" are not.
Non-fermented soybeans are extremely high in phytic acid, an anti-nutrient that binds to minerals in the digestive tract and carries them out of the body. Vegetarians are known for their high rates of iron and zinc deficiencies.

Soybeans are also rich in trypsin inhibitors, which hinder protein digestion. Textured vegetable protein (TVP), soy "milk" and soy protein powders, and popular vegetarian meat and milk substitutes are entirely fragmented foods made by treating soybeans with high heat and various alkaline washes to extract the beans' fat content or to neutralise their potent enzyme inhibitors. These practices completely denature the beans' protein content, rendering it very hard to digest. MSG, a neurotoxin, is routinely added to TVP to make it taste like the various foods it imitates.

On a purely nutritional level, soybeans, like all legumes, are deficient in cysteine and methionine, vital sulphur-containing amino acids. Soybeans are also lacking in tryptophan, another essential amino acid.

Furthermore, soybeans contain no vitamins A or D, required by the body to assimilate and utilise the beans' proteins. It is probably for this reason that Asian cultures that do consume soybeans usually combine them with fish or fish broths, The New Zealand government is considering removing soy formula from the market and making it available only by prescription.

Though research is still ongoing, some recent studies have indicated that soy's phyto-estrogens could be causative factors in breast cancer and infantile leukaemia. Regardless, soy's phyto-estrogens, or isoflavones, have been shown to depress thyroid function and cause infertility in some animals. As a practitioner, I have seen more than my share of vegetarians with hypothyroidism. They invariably rely on soy foods to get their protein."

Wow...I guess I'll go back to eating dead animal flesh after all...

NCarolinaHiker
02-17-2011, 14:15
Every time I've eaten TVP in a freeze dried, commercial pouch meal it's given me stomach troubles. Some people can eat it and suffer no ill effects, but after trial (and continual error immediately following) I've pretty much gotten to the point where I won't buy a meal with TVP as an ingredient, no matter how far down on the list it is. My stomach just can't handle it.

Dicentra
02-17-2011, 14:24
I like the Bob's Red Mill Brand.

I add it to my dried chicken and turkey at a 50/50 ratio. TVP is fairly cheap but the dried chicken/turkey is not. The TVP also adds a bit of potassium to the meal.

RayBan
02-17-2011, 14:56

You might want to read this before coming to any firm conclusions about the adverse health effects/nutritional value of tvp/soy products...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soybean#Men

sarbar
02-18-2011, 13:41
It gives stomach issues due to being SO high in fiber. That is why.

Daydream Believer
02-19-2011, 20:21
The "health" benefits of soy are one of the greatest hoaxes of our time. It is nasty stuff. I see others beat me to the soy bashing fest. Other than traditional Asian forms of soy like soy sauce, tofu, etc... avoid the stuff. It is NOT safe and it will kill your thyroid.

Daydream Believer
02-19-2011, 20:23
I forgot to add that a good book is "The Whole Soy Story" by Dr. Kaayla Daniel. I see there is a website. I'll link it.

http://blog.wholesoystory.com/

T-Dubs
02-19-2011, 21:17
Wow...I guess I'll go back to eating dead animal flesh after all...

Welcome back.

Keep being AWESOME!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/passiveaggressive/3642661392/
(http://www.passiveaggressivenotes.com/2009/06/22/soy***ers-anonymous/)

mkmangold
02-19-2011, 23:27
You might want to read this before coming to any firm conclusions about the adverse health effects/nutritional value of tvp/soy products...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soybean#Men

Pretty much verifies what we've been saying. The Mitchell study for example, gave only 40mg of soy isoflavones to men for only two months! That's a ridiculously low dose over a very short period of time. We're not bashing moderate doses of barely-processed soy products such as tofu but rather large amounts of highly-processed soy derivatives such as TVP. A "Lancet" study did find a correlation between these food pretenders and decreased sperm motility: "eating estrogen-like foods such as soy caused lower sperm counts in males. Studies show that men who take in soy protein have up to a 76% decrease in testosterone production." "Male fertility is strongly tied to Zinc, which is necessary for sperm production and testosterone metabolism. Soy contains phytates which are known to interfere with Zinc absorption. Recent research at Belfast's Royal Maternity Hospital indicates that isoflavones decrease the ability of a man's sperm to fertilize eggs."

Daydream Believer
02-20-2011, 13:58
The phytoestrogens in soy have also been linked to decreased libido in men as well as sexual dysfunction. Right there are two good reasons to pass on the stuff! They are biologically active estrogens and are strong enough to affect a woman's cycle and hormonal health. I'm sure they can affect men also.

Seriously, read that book. If not that book, get on Weston Price's website. There is study after study showing negative effects as well as many good articles.

Also start reading labels and you will be shocked at how much soy you consume in very unlikely foods...bread, tuna fish (starkist), meat products, processed foods, etc... Many people in the US are probably already consuming a fair amount of the highly processed soy stuff without trying.

I have to read labels as I have Celiac Disease...so I have to avoid wheat and gluten. It was because of this that I became aware of how much soy is slipped into foods by the manufacturers.

Luddite
02-20-2011, 14:23
Pretty much verifies what we've been saying. The Mitchell study for example, gave only 40mg of soy isoflavones to men for only two months! That's a ridiculously low dose over a very short period of time. We're not bashing moderate doses of barely-processed soy products such as tofu but rather large amounts of highly-processed soy derivatives such as TVP. A "Lancet" study did find a correlation between these food pretenders and decreased sperm motility: "eating estrogen-like foods such as soy caused lower sperm counts in males. Studies show that men who take in soy protein have up to a 76% decrease in testosterone production." "Male fertility is strongly tied to Zinc, which is necessary for sperm production and testosterone metabolism. Soy contains phytates which are known to interfere with Zinc absorption. Recent research at Belfast's Royal Maternity Hospital indicates that isoflavones decrease the ability of a man's sperm to fertilize eggs."

"Furthermore, soy consumption has been shown to have no effect on the levels and quality of sperm."

"Because of the phytoestrogen content, some studies have suggested that soybean ingestion may influence testosterone levels in men. However, a 2010 meta analysis of 15 placebo controlled studies showed that neither soy foods nor isoflavone supplements alter measures of bioavailable testosterone concentrations in me'

Thats on Wikipedia.

searust
02-23-2011, 01:55
I often use TVP as a meat extender. For example in a recipe calling for a pound of hamburger -- use 1/2 lb of meat and a cup of TVP--- It takes on the texture and taste of the meat--- good in chili or for making meatballs for pasta