PDA

View Full Version : Ursack

njgramm
02-15-2011, 15:59
Just curious if anyone knows if the Ursack bear bag is approved along all of the AT.

double d
02-15-2011, 16:26
Sure,its approved, but I wouldn't carry one (also own one for griz country in Montana), they are heavy and bulking, and you wont' need it on the AT if you use common sense while hiking in bear country.

couscous
02-15-2011, 16:27
Bear canisters or Ursacks are not required, so there is no approval process.
You may find the following thread interesting..
Outsak? - http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=68839

njgramm
02-15-2011, 16:35
It says 8 x 13 and weighs less than 8 ounces. Were you thinking bigger and heavier or is that considered bulky?

double d
02-15-2011, 16:53
It says 8 x 13 and weighs less than 8 ounces. Were you thinking bigger and heavier or is that considered bulky?

the one I own is only a few years old and it is way to heavy (8 ounces is alot for a stuff sack) and bulky (8x13 is large), but the material is thick, so is the rope to tie it off at the top. I would not recommend it at all. Do you have access to check one out in person before you might buy it? you will see what I mean. Also, they are pricey, they really are for weekend trips to griz country and also to large black bear population areas of our hiking trails. Do what you think is best, but i would not recommend buying one for the AT.

daddytwosticks
02-15-2011, 16:55
Got a type of critter bag from this company. I don't remember the model name but it's bright yellow in color. Only weights about 2 or 3 ounces. Certainly not bearproof. I'm more concerned with the micro-bears! :)

rp1790
02-15-2011, 17:01
Having an Ursack does mean not having to go through the comedy routine of hanging your bag though. Very handy at the end of a long day to just tie it around a tree. If you stick everything in the supplied odour proof bag it's very unlikely that the rodents will know it's there either..

HikerRanky
02-15-2011, 17:55
Got a type of critter bag from this company. I don't remember the model name but it's bright yellow in color. Only weights about 2 or 3 ounces. Certainly not bearproof. I'm more concerned with the micro-bears! :)

Ursack Minor.... Made for the rodent population... Haven't had a single case of mice or squirrels or any other rodent getting to my food yet :-)

bigcranky
02-15-2011, 19:22
I'm very happy with my Ursack. 6.5 ounces with the liner bag is about the same weight as a typical food stuff sack + 50 feet of para cord. I just tie it around the base of a tree or hang it from a shelter cord -- no problem. No mice, no raccoons, nothing gets inside. No little mouse poops in my gorp. (Yes, that happens.)

RWK
02-15-2011, 21:16
Having an Ursack does mean not having to go through the comedy routine of hanging your bag though. Very handy at the end of a long day to just tie it around a tree. If you stick everything in the supplied odour proof bag it's very unlikely that the rodents will know it's there either..

I second this thought. Maybe I'm to picky but there are plenty of times when finding a limb that allows you to properly hang food is not so easy to find. When I stop at night and it's getting dark or raining I really like being able to just tie it around a tree. The weight doesn't bother me, maybe 5 oz difference from hanging system.

QiWiz
02-15-2011, 21:36

Yes, +1, called an Ursak Minor. Critter proof, not bear proof, and light (about 3.5 oz) - I'm bringing on AT - perfect for shelter minibears.

QiWiz
02-15-2011, 21:37
If you also want to use as a bear bag, you will need some line to hang it.

BrianLe
02-15-2011, 22:22
I carried an Ursack Minor on the AT last year. I mostly stayed in shelters, mostly didn't bother hanging the bag, just slept with it next to me, and never lost any food to rodents (while companions on occasion did). I can't guarantee the same experience for others, but it worked well for me and was very light, so I agree that it's a good choice for the AT.

To include the relatively few times that you might use bear poles, boxes, or cables along the way, as those things sometimes just aggregate a bunch of food bags for rodents. Best in such cases to have the least-easy bag to get into!

hikingshoes
02-16-2011, 09:20
I'm very happy with my Ursack. 6.5 ounces with the liner bag is about the same weight as a typical food stuff sack + 50 feet of para cord. I just tie it around the base of a tree or hang it from a shelter cord -- no problem. No mice, no raccoons, nothing gets inside. No little mouse poops in my gorp. (Yes, that happens.)
Same setup that i have,and it works really well.HS