PDA

View Full Version : Not sure where to post...parking/Georgia

ssforcey
02-15-2011, 17:52
Hey there,

I'm trying to figure out where to post a question about parking locations in Georgia. I've seen the maps about the "obvious" parking locations but I'm looking for "smaller" locations that may be around that aren't noted on maps. Specifically I'm trying to find a parking spot for daytime only (no overnight) in between Unicoi Gap and Dick's Creek Gap. There's something at Addis I think BUT I'm trying to split this hike into 2 days and need a somewhat "halfway" or there abouts point to get off the trail at night.

Please let me know which forum to post this question.

Thanks a bunch,
Sharon

10-K
02-15-2011, 18:01
Hey there,

I'm trying to figure out where to post a question about parking locations in Georgia. I've seen the maps about the "obvious" parking locations but I'm looking for "smaller" locations that may be around that aren't noted on maps. Specifically I'm trying to find a parking spot for daytime only (no overnight) in between Unicoi Gap and Dick's Creek Gap. There's something at Addis I think BUT I'm trying to split this hike into 2 days and need a somewhat "halfway" or there abouts point to get off the trail at night.

Please let me know which forum to post this question.

Thanks a bunch,
Sharon

Give this a shot: http://rohland.homedns.org/AT/State/state_menu/at_state_menu.aspx?id=5

ssforcey
02-15-2011, 18:05
LOL. Thank you, was just looking at that as you sent this. It helps :D

max patch
02-15-2011, 19:27
Hey there,

There's something at Addis I think BUT I'm trying to split this hike into 2 days and need a somewhat "halfway" or there abouts point to get off the trail at night.

There is, I don't know why the Rohlands site doesn't list it.

generoll
02-15-2011, 23:10
I believe the road to Addis Gap is gated. I haven't personally verified this, but I was told by a local hiker that there is a gate approximately one mile before the gap. As far as I know the only other option is the road to Tray Gap.

bigmac_in
02-15-2011, 23:31
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49187&highlight=addis

max patch
02-16-2011, 09:12
I believe the road to Addis Gap is gated. I haven't personally verified this, but I was told by a local hiker that there is a gate approximately one mile before the gap. As far as I know the only other option is the road to Tray Gap.

The gate is real close to the gap; 5-10 minute walk at the most.

ATParkingDatabase
02-16-2011, 10:35
Hi,

I just wanted to remind everyone that http://AppalachianTrail.rohland.org (http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/) is maintained by hikers like you. When you see a missing entry (or information that needs to be updated) in our database we really need your help to fill in these blanks. The three of us that maintain this website are all slackpackers and have not hiked all of the AT - including Georgia. So please take a moment and help all hikers by submitting this missing parking/access area. The link for submitting information can be found in two places on our website - the bottom of the main page or the bottom of the individual state pages. Further information about how to use our website may be found on our facebook page.

While you are submitting information, rate the safety of a few parking areas. It's nice to know where the parking areas are but it's even nicer to know if your car will still be there when you get back.

Thanks for your help. Many hikers will appreciate your input.

Dave, David & Cyndi

peakbagger
02-16-2011, 11:32
When I was sectioning down south and doing some slackpacks with a friend, we used the Delorme map guides to search out options for parking. The guides show a lot of roads and where they come from. You have to look carefully but they usually show what roads are open and closed. On ocassion there may be a gate or a washout, but usually it wasnt that far of a walk. We typically were dayhiking so werent worried as much about breakins that might occur in the more remote spots. We had a ford festiva and a honda civic one year and still usually could make it up most roads with some care.

ssforcey
02-16-2011, 11:58
Oh cool, I'll have to check that out. We're trying to split our trek into 2 different days. As of right now, looks like we have only do 6 miles one day then 12 the next. I'd rather even it out a little bit but since we'll also be slackpacking it will be easier atleast. I'm really trying to shoot for parking in between Tray Mtn and Addis Gap so I'll look at that. Thanks a bunch, Sharon

digger51
02-16-2011, 12:55
The folks who know those roads best are Josh and Leigh at the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega. They shuttle all over there for slackpackers. Phone is 770-312-7342.