PDA

View Full Version : woodys

mweinstone
02-15-2011, 20:40
why dont we use stix for stakes and tentpoles and walking poles? seems a fair question. woods free. carvings easy. looks hip. light,inexspensive and durable. whay dont we take advantage of makeing our own wooden firetempered stakes poles and poles? why???!!
the advantages include not being such a target for lightning, less trouble traveling thru metal detectors, more money for hiking,...etc. hikers who switch to wood could sell there metel impliments and further increese there odds of thruhiking without running broke. seems a cool revolution to start. companys could sell wood as an option. these hikers could become known as "woodys". spoons! spoons can be wood!

VTK8
02-15-2011, 20:54
I did just that for two years as a guide for a wilderness therapy program. It all works okay and you can have a lot of fun with carving spoons and making hiking sticks. I'm pretty excited to try out the manufactured stuff on my thru, though! I hope the stakes are more durable, the spoon easier to clean…and I know I like my hiking poles more. Just yesterday a friend said, "You're not taking your spoon? Oh, well, you can always make another one when you get disillusioned with your lexan spork.")

swjohnsey
02-15-2011, 20:58
How 'bout a hiking staff with a phallus carved on the end . . . a woody woody.

mweinstone
02-15-2011, 21:04
well i for one am makeing new tent stakes as soon as i can. i think its cool. i bought a tool for makeing round things. its like a woodplane on a curved handle you draw towards you. its made by stanly.

swjohnsey
02-15-2011, 21:17
A draw knife? I carve rudimentary stake when I need extras for high winds.

Johnny Thunder
02-15-2011, 21:19
so it's me and 60 korean elementary school teachers on a team-building outing to a far-off buddhist temple and day-hike mountain. at the end of the day we end up at an eel restaurant.

the thing about food in korea: if it's shaped like manhood then it's good for manhood.

"stamina" says the principal raising his glass of soju (sweet potato spirit) and pointing towards the eel grilling in front of me.

we're seated in a private dining room eating at low tables surrounded by 30 or 40 carved driftwood phalluses. They're painted bright gold. All standing at attention. Over our head is a 30 ft long carved driftwood eel with every off-shooting-branch carved into the shape of a cock.

"do you know what this is?" asks the head administrator, pointing at the nearest woody and knocking back some soju. I shake my head. "do you have these in your country?" he laughs.

"no" i say. "but i do know this one bad wizard."

mweinstone
02-15-2011, 21:23
a spoke shave.

ShaneP
02-15-2011, 21:52
And every night, you can leave your sticks at the shelter or wherever and not have to carry them. And if you're bored, you can make a couple. Take one, leave one, whatever, til somebody mistakes them for a pile of kindling and burns them.

S

mweinstone
02-15-2011, 22:02
pay no attention to johnney thunders storys of bacon fed eel samich. he knows nothing. his alegence is not to chicken any more. he is eel family now. we cant help him. let him go. him and his fancy forign foods and storys of intrege. hmff....

Blissful
02-15-2011, 22:25
I've used sticks in a pinch for stakes and poles. So long as they aren't too dried out and the wind cooperates. I find just rocks on rope tie outs with tents works good too