PDA

View Full Version : black diamond hiking poles

aquaman1208
02-15-2011, 21:58
I have a chance to pick up a pair of black diamond poles, new, for about $85 with free shipping. They weight 1lb 3 ozs. Good idea?

FritztheCat
02-15-2011, 22:01
I have a pair of black diamond poles. Love 'em. They have the thumb lock rather than the twist lock. I haven't had any problems at all. I think I paid $99 for mine so $85 is a good deal.

mweinstone
02-15-2011, 22:06
everything black diamond makes can be trusted with your life.

10-K
02-15-2011, 22:07
I would not consider buying a different brand.

You might want to make sure they're not the "Compact" model - they come up on Steep and Cheap from time to time and I understand they're a bit on the small size.

johnnybgood
02-15-2011, 22:08
My next pair of poles will be Black Diamond. With that being said , what model are you buying ? Is this from an outfitter , e-bay , etc. ?

paddler
02-15-2011, 22:08
best poles for useing as tent/tarp poles with the thumblock easy adjustment well worth the money!!

JaxHiker
02-15-2011, 22:47
Which ones? I just got some Trail Shocks in the mail and took them on a couple of short day hikes this past weekend. So far I really like them. I do need to re-tension the bottom lock on one since it collapsed twice. Other than that they were solid. I find both the grips and the wrist straps to be very comfortable. They seem to be very well made.

Red Beard
02-15-2011, 22:49
I've owned 2 pairs of hiking poles over the last 12 years. My first was a pair of Leki Makalu. Those poles "collapsed" on me causing me to go head-first down a very steep incline along the AT. I never used them again.

After I recovered, I bought a pair of Black Diamond poles. I am noticeably heavier now that I own the BD poles, and I can put all kinds of weight on these things. They haven't let me down yet. Also, I think that the locking system is not only safer, but a LOT quicker than what Leki has to offer. If it were me, I'd jump on a pair of BD poles in a heartbeat.

Cookerhiker
02-15-2011, 22:53
I like mine. I think they're $99 poles but I procured them through an unusual arrangement. I had REI brand poles and when they broke in 2005, I took them back and REI offered an trade-in upgrade so I paid a net of $25.

One thing I like about the BDs is the rubbery part of the grip extends down the handle several inches. This helps when you're hiking up a steep hill on a hot day with sweaty hands and you need to "shorten up" on the poles.

I've lost Black Diamond tips 2 or 3 times. The first time, the company gave me a replacement lower shaft gratis. Subsequent times, I had to pay.

The poles don't collapse easily - not just for me but I've heard others say the same thing. But I'm getting better at it! Got them collapsed right away after today's hike in the Red River Gorge.

Franco
02-16-2011, 02:15
Black Diamond sell poles (at RRP) from $46 to $150, so I am not exactly sure how anyone here can tell you if $85 for a pair is good value or not...
Here is a link , so you can figure that out for yourself ..
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/trekking-poles (http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/trekking-poles)
BTW, having had only a quick look I could not see one at exactly 1 lb 3 ozs.
Franco

Buffalo Skipper
02-16-2011, 10:20
I have a pair of black diamond poles. Love 'em. They have the thumb lock rather than the twist lock. I haven't had any problems at all. I think I paid $99 for mine so $85 is a good deal.

+1 on this post and the cost. I have a pair if BD Ergo Corks, and I love them! Great poles. Wouldn't hike without them.

aquaman1208
02-16-2011, 11:18
Asked for more information on model number but really like the general opinions about black diamond. One of my leki's died a noble death in Maine last year torqued apart but saved a nasty fall on Big Blue or Blue something like that. Oh well that's the purpose in the end.
Regards,
Aquaman

Rick500
02-16-2011, 11:31
I have a pair of BD poles with the thumblock mechanisms. They're great, and I find the locking mechanism to be better than twist locks.

rookiehiker
02-16-2011, 12:00
I have a pair and have not had any issues using them.

DBT fan
02-19-2011, 02:42
BD are the best SAFEST pole for the money due to the locking system. Never collasped on me, even at my heaviest weight of 350 lbs. Much more sturdy and just as comfortable as the overpriced Leki with the inferior twist locks.

peenut
02-19-2011, 10:19
Agreed. BD poles are nice. Thumb lock is much better than the twist lock.

Not Sunshine
02-19-2011, 10:25
my BD poles have the natural cork handles and i LOVE them!!!

and their locking mechanisms are great, too. no complaints coming from me...buy up while they're on sale!!

Roots
02-19-2011, 12:16
another thumbs up for BD poles. I switched to BD poles last year after using another brand for years. BD poles, IMO, are much better. The lock system makes the poles much more stable.

JaxHiker
02-19-2011, 16:08
Just posted a review on my blog (http://idratherbehiking.com/black-diamond-trail-shocks/) today.

jabber
02-23-2011, 11:55
I also have a pair of ergo cork BD trekking poles, they are great! Love the flick lock.

Jab.

Utah
02-23-2011, 13:59
I really liked my Black Diamonds but I collapsed them to fly them home and now I can't get them to extend. Someone told me to put them in the freezer.

Hoop
02-23-2011, 17:18
Try loosening the adjuster screws located on the flicklocks