PDA

View Full Version : narrowed down to 2 tents.

flatfeet
02-16-2011, 02:22
Finally have it narrowed down to 2 tents.

Tarptents Rainbow or the MSR Carbon Reflex.

I like the light weight of the Rainbow but am worried about single walled protection. Every tent I've ever bought was a double.

The Carbon reflex is nice but weighs in at 10 oz heavier...yikes. Perhaps it my imagination but the reflex seems more durable, better protection from the rain, and my down bag.

And while we are on topic: How do you pitch a single walled tent to avoid condensation? Or a double walled for that matter.

Cheers.

-C

leaftye
02-16-2011, 02:26
You could set up the Rainbow in the rain without getting the interior soaked. Not so with the MSR.

crazystick
02-16-2011, 03:36
Why worry about single wall? That tent has enuf air flow to keep condensation down. And single walls otherwise protect just as much. Many four season tents are single wall. I would go rainbow.

Rocket Jones
02-16-2011, 07:56
Go with what you're comfortable with.

I have a double rainbow and love it.

Don H
02-16-2011, 08:38
I have a Rainbow, it's a good tent. But I'm taking a SMD Lunar Solo on my thru next month, it's lighter, has just as much room and uses a hiking pole for support.

garlic08
02-16-2011, 09:14
The Tarptent is about $100 cheaper, too, isn't it? I've used three different Tarptent models over the last eight years and every one has been a wonder of design and utility. But the light weight and lower cost don't come for free--you do need to gain a little more skill in site selection. To reduce condensation, stay out of places where dew forms. High dry ridges are better than low lake or river valleys where you see fog in the morning. The silnylon floor isn't as waterproof as coated nylon, so you need better site drainage too. For me, the extra fuss is worthwhile because I walk a lot and enjoy the lighter pack. If you prefer to set up a heavy duty base camp and stay there a while and expect to sit out extreme storms in comfort, a Tarptent is probably not for you.

leaftye
02-16-2011, 09:39
If you prefer to set up a heavy duty base camp and stay there a while and expect to sit out extreme storms in comfort, a Tarptent is probably not for you.

Tarptent brand? I agree with you there, but then again you'd need a pretty decent and heavy tent to do the same. A tarptent could be designed to do quite well at that. Granted, having lots of comfort during an extreme storm can be a challenge, but may be possible....lots of stakes, guyouts and a few extra sturdy poles would help. Actually, if you consider a tipi as a type of tarptent, then I believe it's already been done.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_TyRaf0hBoEE/TVA529UwNiI/AAAAAAAAD_c/V8aSAjvCY88/s640/LAUFBURSCHE%20LAVVU.jpg

500 grams, about 2 meters tall and 3 meters wide, and almost certainly an ungodly amount of $.

skinewmexico
02-16-2011, 10:11
I would be more afraid of the carbon poles than the single wall aspect. I can't remember reading any glowing reviews of carbon poles, but I've sure seen a lot of negative. Can't say anything about the Rainbow, mine won't be here until next week. But I have no complaints about my Double Rainbow, Sublite, or Moment. Lunar Solo is a good tent, I just got tired of the big footprint, and trying to get a good pitch.

leaftye
02-16-2011, 10:21
Heh, I hadn't even picked up that the MSR used carbon fiber poles, not even with carbon in the name. Yeah, carbon is more of a concern. If I was going to use carbon fiber poles, I think I'd get the Easton Kilo. That may become a popular tent for long distance hikers, but will fail hard if the poles don't hold up and Easton needs to get that right since they get a large amount of business from their poles.

Bags4266
02-16-2011, 12:11
If your interested in that Carbon relex. Check on Steep and cheap they had them 1/2 off. Don't know if thet'll be back but a lot of their stuff usually is.

Blissful
02-16-2011, 12:14
You could set up the Rainbow in the rain without getting the interior soaked. Not so with the MSR.

Says who? I've set my hubba up in the rain. No problem. You'll also get the inside of your tarp tent wet too dragging your wet self into it. But chances you will set up anything in pouring rain is not that high. Though I have done it b/c of hypothermia in the Whites on a tent platform AND in high wind (that's where a tart tent set up is really tough).

leaftye
02-16-2011, 12:29
Says who? I've set my hubba up in the rain. No problem. You'll also get the inside of your tarp tent wet too dragging your wet self into it.

So you did in fact set it up without getting the interior soaked? Getting the interior wet from yourself is a whole different problem, and a rather tough one that I haven't learned to deal with yet. I suppose the pack can be tossed inside while setting up to prevent it from getting even more wet. I different shelter might be even better. Perhaps the Lightheart Solo with awning? If you have rain gear on, you might be able to drip dry under the awning to some extent before entering the tent.

Chuch
02-16-2011, 12:36
Actually my wife and I just played with my new Carbon Reflex 3 this weekend. We spent a few moments checking to see if it could be set up and broken down with the fly on....and it can. Its not the easy way...but its definitely possible.

leaftye
02-16-2011, 12:46
Actually my wife and I just played with my new Carbon Reflex 3 this weekend. We spent a few moments checking to see if it could be set up and broken down with the fly on....and it can. Its not the easy way...but its definitely possible.

I looked again. It seems that I was wrong. You can set up the MSR without getting the inside wet...I think. It looks like you can set up the 2-person version with just the fly and footprint. I don't know if you can then get under it and set up the inner mesh tent...I'm not going to look that far since I'm not the one buying it.

TheChop
02-16-2011, 13:31
You can set up the Hubba style MSR by going rain fly first and then putting in the interior mesh but it is a pain.

Big Dawg
02-16-2011, 13:50
You can get a liner for the Rainbow which essentially makes it a double wall, adding only 4 ozs. Consider a TT Moment as a 3rd alternative, 4.5 ozs lighter than the Rainbow.

4Bears
02-16-2011, 14:28
You can get a liner for the Rainbow which essentially makes it a double wall, adding only 4 ozs. Consider a TT Moment as a 3rd alternative, 4.5 ozs lighter than the Rainbow.

Yes and with the liner for the moment plus the optional pole for free standing set up it would pretty much be a push, from what I see. Been trying to decide between the Moment and Rainbow myself. I like that one could set up the Moment in a minute but it should only take 2 minutes or less for the Rainbow it appears. If I'm soaked from rain I would set at the door of my tent and strip my wet clothes off before rolling in if was woried about the bit of water on the floor from my clothes/body, guess thats why we all carry a sponge or towel.

darkage
03-01-2011, 15:04
If your interested in that Carbon relex. Check on Steep and cheap they had them 1/2 off. Don't know if thet'll be back but a lot of their stuff usually is.

Yeah, i just picked up the carbon reflex 2 about an hour ago ... its march 1 ... so they are still running it.

kayak karl
03-01-2011, 15:29
did you checkout heartfire. http://www.lightheartgear.com/LightHeart_Gear/Home.html judy makes some nice tents. coming from me that means something.:)

darkage
03-01-2011, 16:02
Judy makes killer tents, i ONLY picked up the carbon relex cause i'm waiting for her new design on the Solong 6 she's working on for big/tall people .... I second that!

Jim Adams
03-01-2011, 22:17
Would never buy another single wall tent...too many hassles.
Get a free standing double wall and go have a good time......10oz.?....blow off that Big Mac on the way to Springer and have a salad.

geek

Don H
03-05-2011, 18:15
They have Big Macs on the way to Springer? I'm in!

malowitz
03-05-2011, 18:29
I started last year with a Tarptent Moment and couldn't manage the condensation. Even slept w/the vestibule fully open one night, all vents open, and ended up with frost over my feet and condensation over my head. I sent for my Hubba Hubba HP and felt much more comfortable the rest of the hike. I know some other people switched out from the Moment and some folks kept it all the way. Lots of different experiences/opinions out there. I basically doubled my tent weight w/the HH HP. If you haven't played around much w/the single walls, my suggestion is to snag the Carbon Reflex off S&C as mentioned by others.