PDA

View Full Version : The Great Outdoors Q&A site proposal

dsims
02-16-2011, 13:13
When I was preparing for my thru-hike last year, I spent a lot of time searching here and across the internets to find answers to my questions. I would love to see a good question & answer site to help people prepare to hike the Appalachian Trail.

There is a proposal for a new Stack Exchange site about "The Great Outdoors", covering topics like hiking, camping, kayaking, and backpacking. Stack Exchange is a great platform for organizing questions and answers. I use their programming Q&A site, Stack Overflow (http://stackoverflow.com/), all the time.

Before The Great Outdoors Q&A site can become a reality, they need to know there is support from the hiking community. When it has enough commitment, it will move to the next phase and the site will be created.

All you need to do is go to the proposal page and click Commit (http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/3659/the-great-outdoors?referrer=RkqjlY7k2IInfCi664RSTg2). Thanks!

waywardfool
02-16-2011, 14:16
Ummm...I thought WB was already kind of a question-and-answer site about hiking and stuff.

Spirit Walker
02-16-2011, 14:18
and we need another hiking site why?

Blissful
02-16-2011, 14:47
I see question and answer on WB all the time. The Search function here narrows it down so you don't have to ask don't ask the same things that have been answered many times over.

dsims
02-17-2011, 21:26
Forums are great for discussion and community, but not the best format for getting answers. Search doesn't work well if it's a common term. Some information may be old and out of date. There are a lot of off-topic replies to sift through. What you are looking for may be 12 pages deep in a 30 page thread.

Anyways, I didn't mean to encourage everyone to go somewhere else. I actually would love to build something like this for WhiteBlaze. I think there is a lot of great knowledge here that could be better utilized if it was organized a little differently.