PDA

View Full Version : Food on the Train

bishopj
02-16-2011, 14:16
Ok itry calling amtrak many time no luck geting thur. I was wonder can you bring own food on the train with you .instead of get their.
:cool:

Lone Wolf
02-16-2011, 14:21
yes you may

swjohnsey
02-16-2011, 14:23
Yes. . . .

jlo
02-16-2011, 14:31
ditto. You can bring whatever food and drink you want on board.

swjohnsey
02-16-2011, 14:35
Also, their food is crappy and very expensive.

RevLee
02-16-2011, 16:04
Upgrading to business class doesn't cost much more and gets you free non-alcoholic drinks, more room, and an AC outlet for recharging.

Luddite
02-16-2011, 16:16
Their food tastes like its all canned and it is expensive. If you're going to be on the train for a couple of nights and you have the money, you should get a roomette. Totally worth it.

IceAge
02-16-2011, 16:30
But if you get a roomette they bundle in the price of the meals, which then forces you to eat their disgusting expensive food! Or at least pay for it.

fehchet
02-16-2011, 16:42
Yes roomettes are great. So is bringing on board enough food and drink for the duration of the trip.
I usually get a coach seat when going up and down the Northeast Corridor. These trains are not that filled in my experience and so I just stretch out on the two huge seats with my sleeping bag on top -- clothes bag as a pillow. Business class is OK too. Going east/west I do the roomette if I'm going beyond Chicago.

max patch
02-16-2011, 16:50
Rooms are great but are expensive. Last time I used one the cost of the room was twice what the cost of the ticket was.

Miner
02-16-2011, 20:35
The food I had wasn't that bad. It is expensive though. The food in the dinner car is definitely better then the warmed up food in the lounge. Taking the train after my PCT hike from Seattle, WA back to Los Angeles was a nice scenic trip and the afternoon wine tasting with cheese was actually pretty good.

mweinstone
02-16-2011, 20:50
carrots and celery stix with blue cheese dressing. buy them all if your trapped starving on amtrak. all other foods sold there will kill you.

Appalachian Tater
02-16-2011, 23:17
Bring your own food. I have been on Amtrak when they were supposed to have food on the train but didn't so even if I were planning on eating the Amtrak food I would have some snacks on hand anyway.

Luddite
02-17-2011, 13:29
Rooms are great but are expensive. Last time I used one the cost of the room was twice what the cost of the ticket was.

Yeah. they're about the same price as a 4 star hotel room. But you get a bed and your own bathroom and you can drink your own alcohol in your roomette.

Sickmont
02-17-2011, 13:34
........and you can drink your own alcohol in your roomette.

And THAT makes it completely worth the extra money spent.:D

moldy
02-17-2011, 21:36
On the Canadian Pacific they charge you extra if you want bring a moose. Unless you eat the entire moose while on the train.

Luddite
02-18-2011, 14:05
Anyone know if you can buy a ticket on board an Amtrak?

crazystick
02-18-2011, 14:20

Yes I know you can atleast here in Illinois I have seen commuters just get on and pay for a ticket on board, but those are usually stops that are not far away, so I'm not sure if that applies to crossing state lines. I would call

IceAge
02-18-2011, 14:37
On the Canadian Pacific they charge you extra if you want bring a moose. Unless you eat the entire moose while on the train.

A Møøse once bit my sister

dovecote
02-18-2011, 20:39
You can buy a ticket on board for Amtrak travel BUT you need to call Amtrak (1-800-USA-RAIL) prior to travel and get a reservation number and boarding code number. Provide this information to the conductor when he/she asks for you ticket. You can pay by cash or credit card. This policy usually applies for travelers making last minute reservations who are unable to receive tickets by the mail or depart from stations that do not have ticket agents or ticket machines.

orangebug
02-18-2011, 22:23
The roomettes are very worth it. it is a bunk bed system with a small toilet. The room is much like a comfortable cell. But it is so much better than being crammed in with others, having to worry where your gear is, and such.

You can bring whatever food and drink you wish. The dining car can be a nice place to meet and talk with others when you wish. The food can be touchy. I took the train from Atlanta to New Orleans with a severe delay after hitting a deer in VA. They were prepared for breakfast and lunch, not breakfast, lunch and dinner. They ran out, but were really cool about it. They opened the bar for us to make up for it.

weary
02-19-2011, 00:03
A few years ago my wife and I took the train through the mountains from Seattle, Washington to Wisconsin. As I remember we were on the train two nights, ate in the diner, and had bunk beds.

I don't particularly remember the food, which means it was neither startling good nor particularly unpleasant. I do remember pleasant conversations with fellow diners. They sat us at the tables until each table was full, so we ate with different couples each meal.

Riding the train through the mountains was a fun end for a six week trip that involved driving to Wisconsin where a brother-in-law lives, catching a flight to Alaska, exploring the coast and parks, doing some hiking, taking a lot of photos, and taking the coastal ferry back to Washington State.

Dirty Nails
02-24-2011, 01:47
Yes you can bring food, drinks, large pack, hiking poles, but no stove fuel!!!
I would deffinitely book in advance. There is no penalty for changing your ticket, but the fare will rise as the date aproaches. I think they also will give you a full refund if you cancel. No risk to book early.
I used the Northeast corridor and the regular coach seat was plenty roomy for my big 220lb a$$. I checked out the upgraded seats and found they were a waste of money. I had a power outlet too. Never used the roomette. They were costly, but it would be worth it for two people traveling.