PDA

View Full Version : Maryland hike

Chif
02-16-2011, 14:26
I am planning a long weekend hike for early June in MD. Four guys in our mid 40s, average to good level of phyical fitness. Is this schedule attempting too much?

Friday- Shuttle from Harpers Ferry to Pen-Mar park and hike to Cowall Shelter 9.8 miles

Saturday- Cowall to Rocky Run 15.7 miles

Sunday- Rocky Run to Harpers Ferry 15.4 miles

Also any shuttle info and parking info for Harpers Ferry would be appreciated.

Thanks

Cookerhiker
02-16-2011, 14:59
I think you can do it. MD's AT is easier than average and in June, you have long daylight. I'd bring tents because I don't think 4 of you can count on shelter space being available.

Parking at HF - the Park Service has a lot where you can leave your cars.

Shuttle: consult the ATC's list (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/%7BB8A229E6-1CDC-41B7-A615-2D5911950E45%7D/AT%20Shuttle%20List%20WEB%201-20-11%20_2_.pdf).

IMO, SOBO is the preferable way to hike this section. One piece of advice: on your last day as you're getting closer to HF, the ridge is fairly narrow and just as it seems like you're reaching the end, the AT takes an abrupt 90 degree right turn to descend the ridge. At this turn, a blue-blazed trail leads straight on for no more than 100 yards. I recommend you take this blue-blaze to reach Weverton Cliffs for great views of the Potomac. Looking to your right, you'll see the cuts in the mountains formed by the Shenandoah & Potomac as they join together at HF.

Have a great hike!

Namaste
02-16-2011, 16:51
Your schedule is definitely doable. I loved the Maryland section. From the ATC list I used rosesniffers (Amy and Bill). They were great and I felt reasonable. Enjoy your hike.

FritztheCat
02-16-2011, 17:24
Did this last year. We parked our cars at the park service for $6.00 and then shuttled to the Mason-Dixon line. Your schedule is perfect. It's a great hike (not too stenuous). Have fun!

harryfred
02-16-2011, 17:59
I have done MD 4 times twice each direction. Always have done it in 4 days. Twice on purpose Twice because something didn't go according to plan. I have done each one of the sections you have described in one day comfortably . I love to hike MD and will do it again any time I can. Water is never a problem. Note that the water at Ed Garvey is a long way down so camel up and tank up at Gathland Park. The spring at Pogo campsite is real good. Ens. Cowall shelter seems to be popular with Boy Scouts But it has some really nice tent pads. Rocky Run Shelter is huge and last I was there many were still using the old shelter there is a lot of room for tents water is close running and good.There is a beer and burger at either end I stop at The Secret Six in HF and recently found Rolling Mill Tavern a short drive from Penn Marr. I have been picked up in HF so I don't know how leaving a vehicle works. Penn Marr it sits just right off the trail at the Park. Second the don't miss Weverton Cliffs and also Annapolis Rocks, just after Pogo and before Pine Knob. Bring your camera there is lots to take pictures of. Have a great hike.

AegisIII
02-16-2011, 22:37
Other good stops are Black Rock (just off the trail, about a mile north of Annapolis Rock, with a much better view, and less overrun), and also White Rocks, between Rocky Run and Gathland, with a good view southbound along the ridgeline. I agree with everyone that the Weverton view must not be missed. Depending on the poison ivy, a look at the Israel Creek culvert along the C&O Canal (right after leaving South Mountain) is also worthy of a quick side trip.

excuses
02-16-2011, 22:59
Your schedule is an easy do. Rocky run (old) is re done too so lots of space between the new and old. You walk right through the Washington monument (State Park) among the other sights already mentioned. Water and restroom there too. Just past it is Dahlgren's, think shower. Enjoy

Chif
02-17-2011, 09:41
Thanks for the help. Weekend warriors need all of the help they can get. 15 miles will be pushing our limits but the elevation profiles don't look too bad after the first day.

Chif