PDA

View Full Version : Frogtogs and Dry Ducks

Geo
02-16-2011, 21:06
Frogg toggs and Dry Ducks are cheep and have no ventilation, but they are very dry minus sweat. If you got the money buy nice gear, but if you don't buy Frogg toggs or Dry Ducks, they are worth the $30-40 they cost. they also tear easily.

Dirty Nails
02-17-2011, 00:18
I tried a set of Dry Ducks because they seemed light. I got home, tried them on, and the zipper split open at the place where it was folded in the package...the very first time. I took them back, got another set, and the exact same thing happened. I didn't even handle them roughly. Garbage...IMHO.

buzzamania
02-17-2011, 00:32
I have some dri ducks. they're great. they are cheap and light. I do a lot of my backpacking adventures in the warmer part of spring, summer and fall so I am not a big rain gear person but sometimes it just helps you retain a little warmth in a cold rain. Considering all factors. . . weight, cost and comfort i'd give em a 4 out of 5 stars.

daddytwosticks
02-17-2011, 08:31
I bought my first set of dry ducks. Have not worn them in the rain on the trail. They were in good shape out of the package - no defects. They are what they are for $20 bucks - disposable rainwear. If I can get one season's use out of them, I'll be happy. I know this attitude is not environmentally "correct", but so be it. HYOH. :)

10-K
02-17-2011, 08:43
I've had several (maybe 5...) sets and they've all malfunctioned pretty quickly.

Pants split, zippers fail, etc. Probably tolerable in the summer when rain gear is unnecessary most of the time but in the cooler months where I really need protection from the elements I take real rain gear.

sixguns01
02-17-2011, 09:26
I've had several (maybe 5...) sets and they've all malfunctioned pretty quickly.

Pants split, zippers fail, etc. Probably tolerable in the summer when rain gear is unnecessary most of the time but in the cooler months where I really need protection from the elements I take real rain gear.

I second this. I use them in warmer weather but when it gets cold I pull out my real rain gear.

Roots
02-17-2011, 09:42
I bought Dry Ducks and the 1st night out they split at the seam and the jacket tore on a tree limb. I was able to return the pants for another pair since it was a manufacturing issue, but they split the same way.

I ordered Frogg Toggs when I got home from that trip. I've used the same ones ever since--3 yrs ago--and they are wonderful. I do a lot of early spring and fall trips so I use them for wind and cold protection as well as cold rain. The pants also make great camp pants over my thermals.

Razor
02-18-2011, 19:14
All the negative comments have been on the DRI-Ducks. They may be a good product for temporary use. I have used FROG TOGS off and on for 3 years With normal use and care FROG TOGS will last a thru hike and beyond.It is a good product for its price range. Of course there are better products,that breath when you are walking but you will be paying.

wornoutboots
02-18-2011, 19:41
I use "Natural Gear" rain gear. I find it a Sams I love it & it is very strong. The top both zips & buttons so that when you're in the take on/take off part of your hike, you can just un zip & button, then zip & button when needed. Great Stuff! these are NOT Vented & I paid @ $25 for the complete set of top & bottoms

wornoutboots
02-18-2011, 19:47
Natural Gear Reveiw I found. These are similar to Frogg Toggs but IMHO they are much much stronger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pzIqAhbwg8

gumball
02-18-2011, 20:36
We just bought two dri duck ponchos on sale at Dick's for $7/apiece. I think this is a great deal. We also both have several sets of dri ducks.