PDA

View Full Version : Very strange???????????

HiKen2011
02-16-2011, 22:14
I recently bought a Kelty Dart 1 bivy tent and decided to set it up this afternoon and sleep in it tonight to see how I like it and if my Marmot pounder would keep me warm in 40 degree temps. I just went out to lay down my pad and bag and noticed condensation inside, temps around 48 degrees and humidity relatively low. Should I expect heavy condensation while sleeping inside? The tent has been set up for around 5 hrs. or so. At this point I'm disapointed and expecting to get wet!:mad:

bigcranky
02-17-2011, 00:02
Condensation happens when the air temp cools enough for whatever moisture is in the air to condense out. It doesn't have to be very humid for this to happen. Temps in the 40s and 50s are prime for condensation (a.k.a. "dew.") It's normal, not a problem with your tent.

That said, a small 1-person bivy tent may get a lot of condensation inside from your breathing, especially if you zip it all the way closed.

stranger
02-17-2011, 20:29
You will experience heavy condensation in a Dart...

Condensation occurs whether or not you are in the tent, but it will increase substantially when you do sleep in the tent.

Shelterd (under trees), breezy sites away from water are best for single walled tents, but condensation will be a problem, unless you can somehow get the outside temperature of the tent to match the inside temperature, that's the only way I know how to avoid it.

HiKen2011
02-17-2011, 21:12
You will experience heavy condensation in a Dart...

Condensation occurs whether or not you are in the tent, but it will increase substantially when you do sleep in the tent.

Shelterd (under trees), breezy sites away from water are best for single walled tents, but condensation will be a problem, unless you can somehow get the outside temperature of the tent to match the inside temperature, that's the only way I know how to avoid it.

I slept in it last night, all vents open and had no condensation issues. I was a bit surprised but happy!

stranger
02-18-2011, 05:53
Don't get used to it, I had some of the best single wall tents ever made, ones with amazing ventilation...all of them had heavy condensation at times, not that double walls don't, you just have some protection from it.

At the end of the day it's about preference, and for simplicity, it's hard to beat single wall tents, especially when setting them up in the rain!

LTPMDirk
04-19-2011, 14:47
I had a Kelty Dart and had the same condensation issues. Never cared much for it, but for the price, I couldn't complain. FYI, I'm about to try hammock camping by making my own hammock and am hoping for much better and more comfortable results. Got all the materials for about $45. Figure it'll take about 2 hrs to complete the camping hammock...