PDA

View Full Version : Gear Zone

Sierra Echo
02-16-2011, 22:41
Has anyone ever ordered from argear.com which is powered by gearzone.com? I'm probably gonna get my sleeping bag from them but was looking to make sure they were on the up and up. Ive never heard of them! :eek:

Appalachian Tater
02-16-2011, 22:47
Just use a credit card then if there are any problems you can do a charge back.

I looked at the "about us" page and they give their physical address. On Google street view, however, it's an empty storefront. (The address is above the door so no mistake about that.) I would call them and ask how long they've been in their present location just to be sure and then place my order by telephone. Looks like a sleepy little town so they should be glad to have someone to talk to when you call.

Sierra Echo
02-17-2011, 18:29
That was good thinking appalachian tater! LOL
I ended up getting it from backcountry.com where its cheaper!
Its a left hand zipper though. I think it will be ok!

garlic08
02-17-2011, 18:33
I bought an ice axe from them several years ago. No problems then.

Sierra Echo
02-17-2011, 18:35
What kind of ice axe?! I'm in the market for one. I dont particuarly need one, in fact I dont even have a use for one. I just think their cooL! LOL

garlic08
02-17-2011, 20:12
I got this one: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/325,96513_Cassin-Ghost-Ice-Axe.html from AR Gear. It's only 7 oz and I can't believe how many miles I lugged my old 2 pound steel job before I found this aluminum one. It's even cheaper than my old one, proving again that going light is not always more expensive.

If you ever hike the PCT and are not comfortable on snow, this is a good bet.

Blissful
02-17-2011, 21:11
If I don't know a general gear store, I always check to make sure they have a phone number (preferably toll free) to call for customer care. Makes them more legit. If its e-mail only, I probably wouldn't order from them.

(Just checked, they have a phone #)

Blissful
02-17-2011, 21:13
I got this one: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/325,96513_Cassin-Ghost-Ice-Axe.html from AR Gear. It's only 7 oz and I can't believe how many miles I lugged my old 2 pound steel job before I found this aluminum one. It's even cheaper than my old one, proving again that going light is not always more expensive.

If you ever hike the PCT and are not comfortable on snow, this is a good bet.

Oops I was just gonna ask if its PCT worthy.

Speaking of which where does one learn to self arrest? I mean, what if you don't live in a place that gets that kind of snow?

(just checked - it's sold out)

garlic08
02-18-2011, 01:06
Oops I was just gonna ask if its PCT worthy.

Speaking of which where does one learn to self arrest? I mean, what if you don't live in a place that gets that kind of snow?

(just checked - it's sold out)

You don't really need to know how to self-arrest on a typical PCT hike. Most places if you do slip you'll live to climb back up again. An ice axe serves a couple of purposes though--it's an excellent belay on moderately steep snow (so you don't have to go climbing back up again), and it's a really great latrine trowel.

Talk about thread drift!