PDA

View Full Version : Harper's Ferry to Gettysburg

lmwreden
02-17-2011, 01:11
I'm attempting to hike the 100 mile stretch of the AT from Harper's Ferry to Gettysburg in mid March with a friend of mine. We're both seasoned hikers/backpackers, we've worked in Yosemite for a couple summers, and are trying to complete it in 5 days.

Any insider information on what the stretch of trail is like or what the weather will probably be like is GREATLY appreciated!! Guide books can only tell you so much :) Thanks again!!

TheCheek
02-17-2011, 08:49
It's been a while for me but as I recall it was a nice and easy section, possibly the "easiest" 100 of the trail. By easy I mean a lot of flat walking and a lot of crossings for resupply points. Sounds like a fun trip, good luck!

ki0eh
02-17-2011, 09:19
The A.T. doesn't go to Gettysburg, nearest road crossing would be Caledonia State Park and that's not 100 miles from Harpers. I must be missing something here...

couscous
02-17-2011, 09:22
100 miles north of Harpers Ferry is about Boiling Springs.

http://www.twchikers.com/boiling.png

Cookerhiker
02-17-2011, 09:28
I'm attempting to hike the 100 mile stretch of the AT from Harper's Ferry to Gettysburg in mid March with a friend of mine. We're both seasoned hikers/backpackers, we've worked in Yosemite for a couple summers, and are trying to complete it in 5 days.

Any insider information on what the stretch of trail is like or what the weather will probably be like is GREATLY appreciated!! Guide books can only tell you so much :) Thanks again!!

Harpers Ferry to US Rt. 30/Caledonia SP, the most direct road crossing to Gettysburg is 59 miles. Hiking on further to Pine Grove Furnace is an additional 20 miles. I agree that the hiking is not too difficult and that you can hike 59 miles in 5 days and probably 79 miles as well.

If you're hiking 100 miles, you end up in Boiling Springs. Again the trail is not real difficult and you say you're in good shape but 20 mpd for 5 days is pretty rigorous. But you know what your capabilities are.

Weather in March can be warm and sunny but also likely cold and maybe snowy & icy. I trust you're not like most Californians I know whose tolerable temperature range is very narrow, and for whom even 40 degree nights are too cold let alone nights in the mid-20s which you may well experience.

flemdawg1
02-17-2011, 09:37
Harpers Ferry to US Rt. 30/Caledonia SP, the most direct road crossing to Gettysburg is 59 miles. I agree that the hiking is not too difficult and that you can hike 59 miles in 5 days and probably 79 miles as well.

Doing this hike this weekend. I'll give a report when I get back.

TJ aka Teej
02-17-2011, 14:56
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=19013&catid=member&imageuser=314

There's some nice tenting at Gettysburg.

Blissful
02-17-2011, 15:06
If you are in that good a shape from Yosemite, this will be an easy hike for you. Why did you pick that area of the trail? Curious.

lmwreden
02-17-2011, 20:03
We're still ironing out the exact start and end location, so I think we might actually start before harper's ferry and end a little after gettysburg, but thank you all for the information, very helpful!! The reason for this stretch is mostly monetary- there were cheap flights into DC and I have some family in Gettysburg that are willing to let me bathe in their shower after our trip :) And I'm not that Californian haha- I'm more of a mountain Californian, so 20s are fine with me!

Cookerhiker
02-17-2011, 20:32
We're still ironing out the exact start and end location, so I think we might actually start before harper's ferry and end a little after gettysburg, but thank you all for the information, very helpful!! The reason for this stretch is mostly monetary- there were cheap flights into DC and I have some family in Gettysburg that are willing to let me bathe in their shower after our trip :) And I'm not that Californian haha- I'm more of a mountain Californian, so 20s are fine with me!

If you still want to try 100 miles, the logical start south of Harpers Ferry is Rt. 7/Snickers Gap. From there it's 98 miles to Pine Grove Furnace State Park which is close enough to Gettysburg that your family could pick you up. To reach Snickers Gap, take the train to Harpers Ferry and a shuttle.

Hope you're able to fly into National Airport where public transporation options are better; you can take Metro to Union Station where you get the train to HF.

Have a good hike!

Kneegrinder
02-18-2011, 14:42
There is a lot of history in this area so give yourself time to vist and tour the Gettysburg Battlefield (at least a full day) and also Antietam (a half day). Also spend some time in HF and read the markers as you hike up South Mountain. If you haven't already, read The Killer Angels before you go or on the Trail.

Dirty Nails
02-24-2011, 01:28
I used Amtrak for the first time ever last year to Va. I used it also to get home from Harpers Ferry. They run a connection between Harpers and D.C. Check carefully for scheduling. There is only 1 train each day. I think it runs only on weekdays, and the day I used it they were only 1 hour behind. The previous day they were running 8hrs behind schedule.
Also, you should reserve your ticket in advance. That connection has limited seats and I saw people turned away at the station.
Just buy your ticket early. They will let you make changes for no charge, just the fare difference. And I believe they give you a full refund with no penalties if you cancel.
Other than running late, I was quite pleased with the train. Comfortable, smooth, quiet, no security checks. Knives and hiking poles OK. But technically you should not bring a stove. I did, but not fuel.

Cookerhiker
02-24-2011, 09:44
I used Amtrak for the first time ever last year to Va. I used it also to get home from Harpers Ferry. They run a connection between Harpers and D.C. Check carefully for scheduling. There is only 1 train each day. I think it runs only on weekdays, and the day I used it they were only 1 hour behind. The previous day they were running 8hrs behind schedule.
Also, you should reserve your ticket in advance. That connection has limited seats and I saw people turned away at the station.
Just buy your ticket early. They will let you make changes for no charge, just the fare difference. And I believe they give you a full refund with no penalties if you cancel.
Other than running late, I was quite pleased with the train. Comfortable, smooth, quiet, no security checks. Knives and hiking poles OK. But technically you should not bring a stove. I did, but not fuel.

The train line is the Capitol Limited (http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Route_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241245652139) and reservations are required per AMTRAK.

For WBers who also like cycling, you can take this train to Cumberland, MD and cycle the 185 miles down the C&O Canal back to DC as well. Or better yet, leave your car in Cumberland, cycle down to DC, and return via AMTRAK.

flemdawg1
02-28-2011, 14:53
Trip report from last weekend:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1121551#post1121551

Get your train tix ASAP, or you'll have to buy a higher priced ticket for no recognizable benefit.

twosticks
02-28-2011, 15:31
The train line is the Capitol Limited (http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Route_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241245652139) and reservations are required per AMTRAK.

For WBers who also like cycling, you can take this train to Cumberland, MD and cycle the 185 miles down the C&O Canal back to DC as well. Or better yet, leave your car in Cumberland, cycle down to DC, and return via AMTRAK.

Actually, you can take the MARC from Union Station to HF. It's is a commuter train. Check it out here (http://mta.maryland.gov/services/marc/).

flemdawg1
02-28-2011, 15:37
Actually, you can take the MARC from Union Station to HF. It's is a commuter train. Check it out here (http://mta.maryland.gov/services/marc/).

Yes there is the MARC train, and while it is cheaper ($11), it leaves later, and takes nearly twice as long to arrive at HF.

fredmugs
03-02-2011, 14:30
It's been a while for me but as I recall it was a nice and easy section, possibly the "easiest" 100 of the trail. By easy I mean a lot of flat walking and a lot of crossings for resupply points. Sounds like a fun trip, good luck!

Obviously you haven't been through the Shenendoah's yet.