PDA

View Full Version : Help with my NOBO Gear List - Critiques welcome

zombiegrad
02-17-2011, 02:03
Hi all,

I'll be touching the trail on March 15 and here's my gear list ready for review. Some items are purchased and others are pending approval. I'd appreciate any feedback and ideas for improvement, especially on the items with a question mark next to them. Thanks!

Pack
Kelty Lakota (4lbs, 4000ci and a bargain @ $87)

Pack cover: compactor trash bag

Shelter
Claytor Jungle Hammock with tarp or Hennessy Hammock?
Generic sleeping pad or other?
Space All-weather blanket (multi-purpose)
Stakes

Sleeping
Kelty Light Year down 20º
Bag liner + 10º

Kitchen
Caldera Keg H Stove System, Etowah II, other, or no stove?!
Heet in fuel bottle
Dry sack for food
Platypus 3L
Plastic spork
Bic lighter
Aquamira

Clothing Worn
Midweight longsleeve thermal top
Fleece or down jacket
Midweight thermal bottoms
Convertible pants

Fleece gloves and beanie
Wool socks
Sock liner
Sports bra
Ex officio undies
Trailrunners
Shoe inserts?

Clothing Packed
Lightweight polypropylene top and bottom thermals for sleeping/dry camping
Dri Ducks rain jacket & pants
2 wicking shirts for the warmer temps
running shorts for the warmer temps
2 extra pairs of socks
1 Extra bra
2 extra undies
Foam sandals
1 extra sock liner?
Dry sack for clothes
Bug net?

Assorted
Lekki trekking poles or Black Diamond
Swiss army knife
Couple ziplock bags
Couple bandanas
Petzl Tikka headlamp
Whistle
Book for reading; need something to do when I can’t sleep or waiting for laundry
Compass?
Phone
battery operated mp3 player (suggestions?)
Watch
Cord
Small notebook/pen
Dry sack for assorted items
Spare batteries
AT Guide

Hygiene
Some TP in ziplock
Dr. Bronner’s 4oz multipurpose (works as toothpaste?)
Toothbrush travel
Lip balm
Pack of Wet Ones
Hand sanitizer
Sani Fresh Freshette
Sunscreen
Deodorant (for the illusion of odor control)
small nail clippers
disposable razor

Adventure Medical Kit .3 + modifications (duct tape, more ibuprofen, Benadryl, etc.)

MichaelnStl
02-17-2011, 10:08
First thing I would do is get a mailing scale and weigh EVERYTHING. That is how I was really able to find what was "needed" and not needed.

Have you slept in a Hammock before? They aren't for everyone...make sure you like it before you go.

3L of water is alot of weight...I got away with a 2L one without any issues (ok, one time in Georgia the creek listed as a water supply was dried up...luckily there were some others that had spare though).

Clothes can add alot of weight...the Ex Officio are awesome, I wore them also...but I think you only need 2 pair (wear one and pack one). They dry SUPER fast.

Its looking really good - but if you could include the weights, that would help ALOT.

Firefighter503
02-17-2011, 11:02
Looks pretty good so far. Pretty close to my list, but I am leaving a few things behind.

1 Wicking T-shirt for me.
1 pair of extra underwear.
No deoderant.
No sock liners (haven't had a problem w/ blisters yet.. knock on wood..)
I think the 3L platy is probably fine. No one is making you fill it to the top. I am bringing a 2L camelback for camp dinner/breakfast/water for on trail the next morning, as well as (2) 32 oz bottles (Gatorade and a Nalgene). I only generally carry 1 L of water at a time though.

I'm headed out on the 13th, so I might see ya out there!

Turtle Feet
02-17-2011, 11:23
I'm going to address the hammock situation - sounds like you don't have one yet....

There are many good ones on the market now, but as MichaelinStL mentioned, if you haven't slept in one for nights on end, this might not be the place to try it out.

If you don't already own one, you might want to check with the manufacturers asap - most of these cottage industries run 1-2 month backlogs on a regular basis.

The most important aspect of comfort in your hammock is warmth. You will not be warm enough with a simple sleeping pad. Go to www.hammockgear.net (http://www.hammockgear.net) and investigate the suggestions there - you'll need some sort of "top quilt" AND "bottom quilt", especially for the first couple and last couple of months. The sleeping bag is an acceptable option for the top quilt, but if you zip it up and use it as a sleeping bag, as you sleep on the bottom of it the down compresses and loses it's insulation properties. I can promise you it won't be enough. You'll be further ahead with weight and warmth going with two separate pieces.

Drop the bag liner - you'll be doing nothing but trying to untangle yourself all night using a liner and sleeping bag in a hammock.

Honestly, I would ask for someone in your area to let you try a few nights in a hammock before making the jump, but check with the manufacturers too, it might be too late anyway.

Feel free to pm me with any specific questions, I'm happy to help out. I'll be starting March 13th, so see you on the trail. :D

Blissful
02-17-2011, 14:51
MSR Pocket rocket is a great stove. You're gonna want a stove at least to start.
A hammock set up will be cold sleeping to start. Have you tried it in cold weather with your bag? You might consider a tent.
I disagree with dropping the bag liner. You're gonna need it. You're gonna have some cold nights and your sleeping bag is barely adequate without it (20 degree is calling it close, esp for us ladies). there will be nights in the teens.
Need a down jacket to start, then ship it home
Don't need shorts with convertible pants
One wicking shirt is enough
You will not hike in thermal bottoms. Too hot! Use them as your camp wear and save the lightweight layers for later in the hike
Don't need liners with trail runner, imo
Leave extra bra at home. I used 2 pair of wicking undies and one cotton pair for night
Leave deo at home (you can shower every 3-4 days. On the trail, everyone smells). Also nail clippers (your knife should have scissors which are fine). Shaving is up to you, but many hostels have that kind of gear. I wouldn't carry a razor.
I carry a 3 liter platypus bag. I never filled it all the way up hiking but it was great to fill up for camp water. I'd keep that.
Batteries you can get in town - you are there every few days
The Sansa MP3 player runs on 1 AAA. Love mine

zombiegrad
02-17-2011, 19:19
Great advice all! It's true, I haven't tried out the hammock set up. I've heard so many good things about hammock camping that I took it on good faith that I'd probably enjoy it, too. I do need practice setting it up, though. I may end up going the tent route..

I see some criticims about my sleeping system. I was on hammockforums and saw a lot of people using walmart blue foam because it's durable and lightweight, so that's where I got that. I was thinking that the foam and space all-weather blanket, combined with the bag liner and my jacket if needed, would keep me relatively warm on cold nights. But I'm completely open to altering this set up.

All this gear talk exhausts me because it complicates such a simple thing as walking :P But I know that to make this a successful hike, I need to have gear that won't interfere with the simple pleasures.

Thanks, Michael, Firefighter, Turtle Feet, and Blissful. I'm going to take yall up on a lot of your suggestions!

Snoopy
02-17-2011, 19:36
You need to try out your hammock setup.. I took out my Hennessey this past weekend.. I have a Mountain Wear 32 deg bag and nearly FROOOZE my butt off .. the temp was 46, and it felt like I was sleeping on an iceberg... This was my first experience with a hammock.. it was very comfy to sleep in, but I really have to figure out a good underquilt resolve.

Since you are starting in March, You will certainly need either an underquilt or pad to keep you warm. Go out and jump in a hammock on a cold night then go from there. ! Peace, T.

Turtle Feet
02-17-2011, 19:39
Zombiegrad - I hear 'ya with all the gear considerations; it's enough to make your head hurt!

As a fellow "hammock hanger" I would hope that you try one out and love it, but it would suck if you got out there and it was not a good night's sleep for you. Believe it or not, some people don't like them. Honestly, if I weren't married, I'd consider hanging one in my bedroom, I love mine that much!

As for the insulation, I know that there are those that use the blue wally world pad - they just seem so stiff to me - defeats part of the benefit of hanging. Also, they don't come up around your sides, that's where alot of the cold will get you. In mid-summer's heat probably ok, but not in March or April.

I wish you lived closer - you could totally try mine out for a few nights! Honestly, check in your area - Houston is certainly big enough to have some members on hammockforums.net. Good luck with everything - see you out there...

tf

mountain squid
02-17-2011, 20:14
Some observations:

2L of water fits nicely into a 3L container - 3L, however, will not fit so well into a 2L one
something else to hold water - dirty water in one and clean water in the other, especially if using aquamira
check out antigravitygear (http://www.antigravitygear.com/) for stove options
doesn't heet come in its own little bottle?
4oz of Dr B's might last until HF - it is very sudsy
keep liner - aside from potential extra warmth, it will help keep your bag clean
leave book until you are used to walking all day, every day - might be to tired to read early on anyway
maps
needle for draining blisters
ear plugs
bug net in summer probably

Concur:
be sure you are comfy in hammock
leave the deoderant

Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Turtle Feet
02-17-2011, 21:52
Here 'ya go zombiegrad:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1116195#post1116195

This is a really good price on a Warbonnet hammock, especially shipping included!