PDA

View Full Version : What the best way to wash a tent?

Vegemite
02-17-2011, 11:23
Hi,

I just unpack the tent I used for my 2009 thru-hike of the PCT. Getting ready for my Appalachian thru-hike attempt. An I Just found out, that my tent smells ready bad. Like some dirty hiker slept in it for 5 months.

Oh - that happen.

Anyway - I did dry it out before I pack it up after my thru-hike. So it hads no mold or anything. It just smells bad.

So currently I am airing it out, but what the best way to remove the smell. Do I just put it in a bucket of water?

I need to start with a nice smelling tent since my GF will be hiking with me for the first 50 miles.

Thanks

Vegemite

sixhusbands
02-17-2011, 11:43
Try putting a dryer sheet or 2 in the tent during the storage time. Not only does it take care of the smell , it will help deter rodents and bugs out on the trail.

Bags4266
02-17-2011, 11:47
I get a spackle bucket of warm water and a little bit of Oxi-Clean hand wash it and let it soak for a few hours then rince, I do this with my pack too.

kayak karl
02-17-2011, 11:50
hand wash in mild soap. baking soda will help with smell. http://www.thefarm.org/charities/i4at/lib2/60soda.htm

HiKen2011
02-17-2011, 11:50
I get a spackle bucket of warm water and a little bit of Oxi-Clean hand wash it and let it soak for a few hours then rince, I do this with my pack too.

Me to........

StormBird
02-17-2011, 12:50
i would avoid any harsh chemicals so that you don't mess up the sealant on the fabric of the tent. i agreed about baking soda and warm water. just set the tent up and wipe it out.

beakerman
02-17-2011, 15:45
I do the big bucket and warm water thing...I have my son act a the agitator and eerything comes out nice and clean and I don't have to apply waterproofing agian...I reapply the WP after 2 washes though...I figure with the regular use it gets between washes and the second wash it needs it.

I can see whre adding some baking soda would probably help but you must rinse it very well then.