PDA

View Full Version : Tarp can keep you dry and warm?

flatfeet
02-17-2011, 12:00
Can a tarp most likely in an a frame configuration really keep you warm and dry?

Also should add a Tyvec ground cloth.

Oleskool
02-17-2011, 12:13
Yes very warm and dry. That's all my wife and I use for winter hikes on the AT in TN. Snow, rain wind two 20 degree down bags, a tarp, two cut down z-lite pads, and our ponchos for ground sheets.

sbhikes
02-17-2011, 12:18
Yes, it can. When I was researching tarps I did some google image searching and found some sites showing various ways to set a tarp up. Learned a lot.

Jim Adams
02-17-2011, 13:39
yes to the tyvek ground sheet.

geek

Slo-go'en
02-17-2011, 14:18
I'd say it depends. It depends on if it is big enough and if it is pitched properly. If the tarp is too small or set up so rain can blow into the ends, you might as well not have one at all.

Miner
02-17-2011, 15:32
A tarp (particularly a smaller tarp) needs more skill to use it successfully in bad weather. If you go with a smaller tarp, get a lightweight bivy sack to go with it as extra protection against wind blown rain. However, a tarp is more flexible and can fit in places where a normal tent cannot. A tent will hold more heat in (and more condensation on the walls), but a bivy sack is even warmer. I've been in heavy rain and snow with mine including with high winds and have stayed dry without trouble. Not everyone will like using a Tarp so I recommend starting off with a cheap one just to try it out.

You should use a ground cloth and Tyvek is the most popular. Make sure its cut smaller then the outline of your tarp when its set up or you will give the rain something to use to drain under the tarp. You do not want to camp where people have beeng tent camping for several years as the ground will have a slight bowl shape (from years of being compressed and compacted) and water will collect there rather then running away from you. Afterall, you don't have a bathtube floor to deal with that so good campsite selection (with an eye for how water will runoff) is key for staying dry.

Camping Dave
02-20-2011, 18:47
Can a tarp most likely in an a frame configuration really keep you warm and dry?

Also should add a Tyvec ground cloth.

OP asked about A frame config, not fancy configs. An A frame basically provides no protection against cold; the wind blow right through that nice nylon tunnel. It will keep you dry if it's not too windy.

Tinker
02-20-2011, 18:53
Pitched correctly, the tarp can keep you warm as well as dry. To keep you warm, you need to stake it right to the ground, which can add to condensation (may be a problem in less than ideal - high humidity, low wind conditions). You will also need to close off the ends, which makes it nearly mandatory to carry a 10 foot (or more) tarp.
My recommendation would be to take a Tarptent Moment, which will keep you warm, dry, with a minimum (notice I didn't say lack of ) condensation, and a light weight and easier pitch than a tarp. Another consideration (if you hike with a pair of adjustable poles) is to look at the Lightheart Gear solo tent.