PDA

View Full Version : Is too big a hinderance?

theycallmej
02-17-2011, 12:53
Hey guys--

I'm still in the early stages of planning and I'm not perfectly sure what I'm doing yet.
I want to set out for a hike of the Appalachian Trail or the American Discovery Trail. Either way it goes, I want to have a pack that can deal with either situation.

I bought an Osprey Xenon 85 and it's at about 4900 Liters. With the large packsize in mind, if I put every single thing I need into it, I still haven't touched the outer pockets and really even put anything in to them (but this isn't factoring in food which could take up a large amount of space on an ADT hike). I realized fully that I could have possibly gone with a smaller pack, however, at the time I was really thinking of an American Discovery Trail Hike and I felt I needed all of the space possible.

I'm not going to fill up the space any time soon, and I couldn't return the backpack anyways. Rather than going out and spending another 300 or so on a backpack and having to go through that mess, should I stick with the one I have now? I guess my real question is, is there any hindrance to having a larger pack that would necessitate me to buy a smaller one right away?

NCarolinaHiker
02-17-2011, 13:00
Weight and comfort.

If you're good with either, then no - not really.

Firefighter503
02-17-2011, 13:04
Other than having to carry the extra weight, and 'I've got space for it, so I'll throw it in there' I dont see a problem.

I have a Deuter ACT Lite 65+10 which is big by some peoples standards for an AT thru, but I am disciplined enough to not fill the space w/ un needed stuff. Yeah, it weighs a little more than a Catalyst or other ULA packs that are more common, but for me its a good all around pack (I'm right at about 24 lbs skin out weight w/o food and water, I'm wearing some decently heavy boots).

Slo-go'en
02-17-2011, 13:55
4900 Liter pack? That's an SUV - or maybe a school bus!

Other then being a little on the heavy side, no big deal. You don't have to use the side pockets (though little odds and ends will end up in them).

NCarolinaHiker
02-17-2011, 14:12
I use an Aether 70 every trip. I've day hiked with it for S&Gs with it half filled and weighed down. Looks like the current thinking is that if you're okay carrying the extra weight then go for it. My Aether is super comfy with 15 lbs in it, so while it's heavy and oversized for some trips, it has it's benefits too.

Spirit Walker
02-17-2011, 14:16
It's heavy and the tendency is to fill a pack when it's large. A smaller pack forces you to think carefully about what you put in it. That said, my first pack was enormous, and I still hiked the AT with it.

Re the AT vs ADT - do you like walking in the woods or walking in the city? The AT is a woods walk. The ADT goes from town to town - lots of flat country, lots of city walking. My understanding is that it gets better once you reach Colorado, but that's a long way to be walking flatland.

Franco
02-17-2011, 17:17
theycallmej
try removing the top pocket (lid) and see if it works for you like that.
That will save you some weight and reduce volume too.
Franco

Chubbs4U
02-17-2011, 17:40
You can find a good bag for a good price. Just got a Gregory 60L for 139$.