PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Osprey Atmos 65 Durability Review

Spokes
02-17-2011, 14:32
Osprey modified the Atmos 65 pack after the 2009 hiking season. I had an old 2008 model and except for the crappy mesh hipbelt pockets it was pretty much bombproof.

I have concerns about the changes, to the front of the shoulder straps and back of the hipbelt, which now include a dense foam honeycomb padding covered by a fine mesh material. Man that stuff looks flimsy. I wonder if it was to save on costs?

http://iris.backcountry.com/userimage/view/37829/440/440
- pic from backcountry.com

So for anyone who actually thru hiked with this pack:

How did the mesh backing material on the shoulder and hipbelts hold up? Was it durable? Did anyone experience the mesh falling apart, ripping, or wearing out prematurely?

darkage
02-17-2011, 14:55
I haven't thru hiked with it yet, till 2012 when i plan on using the same pack ... BUT, i did put about 600-700 miles on mine and its like new ... no issues, i keep jolly rancher's in the front hip pockets ... but to your question of issue, i don't see it being a problem .... the ONLY problem i had with this pack is that the mesh can rub if you're hiking without a shirt ... grab a superfine merino and no problem. =P

Mine has that its been used look, if you'd like i can take pictures of my shoulder straps and hipbelt to verify, no loose threads, no rips/tears ... Best pack i've tried on and owned. I might even move down to the exos series, but hard to leave a pack i like so much.

NCarolinaHiker
02-17-2011, 15:16
I have a Stratos 18 (soon up for sale) with the same mesh on the back panel. The pack is unused, but from what I can tell it's very durable and well thought out.

Spokes
02-17-2011, 15:25
NCarolinaHiker, the back ventilation mesh on the back panel is quite a bit different. It's actually thick, durable, and the same as on the older model.

In contrast, the shoulder and hipbelt mesh they put on the new Atmos model looks sorta like a big gauge type of black mosquito netting.

I'm a big Osprey fan but this has me scratching my head.

NCarolinaHiker
02-17-2011, 15:40
NCarolinaHiker, the back ventilation mesh on the back panel is quite a bit different. It's actually thick, durable, and the same as on the older model.

In contrast, the shoulder and hipbelt mesh they put on the new Atmos model looks sorta like a big gauge type of black mosquito netting.

I'm a big Osprey fan but this has me scratching my head.

Ah dang! My bad, it looked pretty close in pictures although looking at it again, it doesn't look very similar. :rolleyes:

How strange.

Lillianp
02-17-2011, 15:47
I hiked from Manchester Center VT to Katahdin with this pack. Besides the (obvious) smell, it looks almost like new. A few small abrasions and a hole in one of the elastic outer pockets. The foam and ventilation mesh held up really well.

As someone who is looking to lighter packs and lighter equipment, I wouldn't use it again, but it served its purpose very well.

theeulogy
02-17-2011, 16:07
I have well over a thousand hiked miles in the year I have had it and it pretty much looks brand new. I like this pack so far. The mesh on the back is very cool and both hip and shoulder straps are comfortable even in 45 plus pound loads.

Spokes
02-17-2011, 19:17
I hiked from Manchester Center VT to Katahdin with this pack. Besides the (obvious) smell, it looks almost like new. A few small abrasions and a hole in one of the elastic outer pockets. The foam and ventilation mesh held up really well.

Interesting. I've come to rely more on the raves or rants from other thru hikers than what I read in online reviews. Problems tend to rear their head pretty quickly with gear on the trail.

Undershaft
02-22-2011, 10:36
This is good to know. One of the main reasons I bought this pack was because of the mesh and honeycomb padding on the shoulder straps and hipbelt. My last pack had a solid foam hipbelt and I would get really sweaty which caused me to get a rash and tiny little blisters on my hips. Greater airflow under the hipbelt will hopefully help reduce that problem.

walkin' wally
02-22-2011, 11:59
I will be hiking with this pack starting on March 14th. So far the fit and durability has been great. PM me or go to my journal later on in the season and you can get an update if you want. I have a smart phone too.
In Jester's Wizards Of The PCT video I think at least one of the hikers was using this pack for the duration, 2600 miles.

Wally

Ol Mole
02-22-2011, 21:53
I've had mine a little over a year and I like it very much. Not put a million miles on it yet.

Happy Trails.

LDog
04-17-2011, 11:39
How about carrying capacity? I've read a few reviews that suggested the suspension starts to have problems around 30 lbs instead of the rated 40-45 ... I have the Atmos 50, and am a little concerned about using it with my base weight of 18, plus a couple liters of water and food for a couple of anticipated 7 day runs ... So, I'm looking at this pack along with Deuter, ULA SMD ...

darkage
04-17-2011, 16:18
How about carrying capacity? I've read a few reviews that suggested the suspension starts to have problems around 30 lbs instead of the rated 40-45 ... I have the Atmos 50, and am a little concerned about using it with my base weight of 18, plus a couple liters of water and food for a couple of anticipated 7 day runs ... So, I'm looking at this pack along with Deuter, ULA SMD ...

There's no way the suspension starts to have problems at 30 pounds on the atmos 65 ... I've left home and towns with a 40+ pound pack and it rides with no problem on the hips and shoulder's ... I'm 6'3 235 lbs or so ... maybe the people with issues are midgets with bad backs ... i dunno.

Only thing i can tell you is go grab 50 pounds of weight, go to a local outfitter and try it on ... walk up an down some stairs if they have a second lvl and decide for yourself. I wouldn't trade this pack for nothing.

Skid.
04-17-2011, 19:29
I have a 50, and have about 500 miles on it carrying 25-30 lbs, no problems with the honeycomb areas, however the lighter 'fish netting' type material on the Front of the hip belt pockets has a few holes worn in it. I like to use the hip pockets for snacks & first aid stuff you might need in a hurry.

darkage
04-17-2011, 19:36
I have a 50, and have about 500 miles on it carrying 25-30 lbs, no problems with the honeycomb areas, however the lighter 'fish netting' type material on the Front of the hip belt pockets has a few holes worn in it. I like to use the hip pockets for snacks & first aid stuff you might need in a hurry.

Thats exactly what my atmo's has ... a few small holes in the soft mesh where i keep my jolly rancher's and energy gels ... i have well over 500 miles on mine ... nothing wrong with the straps/pads or suspension.

LDog
04-17-2011, 20:15
Thats exactly what my atmo's has ... a few small holes in the soft mesh where i keep my jolly rancher's and energy gels ... i have well over 500 miles on mine ... nothing wrong with the straps/pads or suspension.

What's the most weight you've carried comfortably in your 50?

darkage
04-17-2011, 20:25
What's the most weight you've carried comfortably in your 50?

Wrong guy, skid's got the 50 ... i'm the one with the 65. The weight chart i found to be pretty close ... 65 is rated to 35-45 lbs ... I found that to be about right, to the best ride i found 35 to be as if nothing was on my back ... with the 50 i'd imagine it would be between 25-35 lbs for the best ride.

LDog
04-17-2011, 22:47
Wrong guy, skid's got the 50 ... i'm the one with the 65. The weight chart i found to be pretty close ... 65 is rated to 35-45 lbs ... I found that to be about right, to the best ride i found 35 to be as if nothing was on my back ... with the 50 i'd imagine it would be between 25-35 lbs for the best ride.

Thanks. I just took my 50 out for the first time for an overnighter. Had it loaded to ~28 lbs. I know I can trim my base weight a fair bit, but I'm concerned about having the carrying capacity for 5-7 days food. As someone said, there's only a couple places on the trail where one might need to haul food for that long, and it only lasts a few days as you consume what's in your pack ...

I have all year to figure it out tho ...

Walkintom
04-18-2011, 12:45
I took my Atmos 65 out with a bit over 40 pounds last weekend. No issues whatsoever with the load bearing.
Initially I was a little worried that the belt didn't have enough padding, but it rides fine. I've put in close to 20 miles with it in a day and it did just fine.

In fact, the only issue I have at all with the pack is that it easily holds everything I decide to cram in. Given my packrat mentality, it's hard to lighten the load with the kitchen sink thrown in every time since there'splenty of room.

R00K
04-25-2011, 20:42
I'm considering the Exos 58.

darkage
08-23-2011, 01:35
Another season of hiking, and about 5400 miles underneath a greyhound and its still holding up amazingly! ... from NEPA to SOCAL ... only thing that happened was someone had a liquid that spilled and the glue on the front pouch got peeled away, a few safety pins in place to stop it from pulling apart and its good as new ... mesh is still like new, same issue with front hip belt pockets wearing ... but they are still in tact and hold items ... year 3, i'm buying another one, or gonna go with the EXOS for my thru ... just an update on the durability ... mind you the glue didn't fully peel, only about an inch or so ...

lemon b
08-23-2011, 14:09
Got over 500 miles on mine. No real problem. Broke the clip that the rope runs thru on the main compartment. Replaced it with a different type. Seems like I always break that kinda stuff anyway.

Turkey Sandwich
08-24-2011, 21:16
I've taken over 50 pounds in the Atmos 65 and the suspension doesn't seem to have any problems. I've put in over 1000 miles with it so far and the only complaint is how thin the honeycomb shoulder straps are. I have a really pronounced collarbone, so after a full day with 40+ pounds, it starts to hurt in that area. However, in my opinion it's worth it for the extra ventilation, and it's perfectly comfortable under 40 pounds.