PDA

View Full Version : Watch out for widow makers (Extreme Addition)

slugger
02-17-2011, 16:00
http://i.imgur.com/p5keQ.jpg

wrongway_08
02-17-2011, 16:04
WOW, thats cool! Something really interesting to look at. Glad you are okay and have a cool story to tell.

Now, how did you break it to the insurance company? Tow bill, totaled car, tree in the dash.... :) Bet they love you! Is it the same as when a deer hits you? No fault?

Old Hiker
02-17-2011, 16:05
And your insurance agent will tell you that any branches over 4" are NOT covered! :eek:

Plus, AAA doesn't tow out of the woods! :rolleyes:

I would have to wonder: how am I going to explain this to my wife?!? :-?

Glad to hear you are OK (sorta!):sun

slugger
02-17-2011, 16:07
I should note. It's not me just something I found online. But it does bring up a good point about the dangers of high winds.

Pedaling Fool
02-17-2011, 18:20
That's why when I'm looking for firewood I'll look for standing dead trees. There are more than you think and some are pretty easy to push over.

wrongway_08
02-17-2011, 18:23
X2 on the fire wood - nice thing is when it falls over, the tree usually breaks apart into burnable size chunks!

Sierra Echo
02-17-2011, 18:26
Well the funeral awning is appropriate in this picture!

Slosteppin
02-17-2011, 22:37
I have wo comments about the pictures.
I do trail maintenance on the NCT. Many of the trees that I have cut off the trail were live trees. Nearly any tree in the forest can fall.

When I'm looking for a campsite I look up first - for any branches or trees that might fall on my tent. Then I look around - again for trees that might blow over on my tent. Then I look down at the ground - for branches or vegetation I don't want my tent on. I also look at the slope of the terrain. I don't want to have a sudden rain flood my tent.

Slack-jawed Trog
02-18-2011, 17:58
^ +1
On looking UP when choosing a campsite.

OP, I just about defecated on myself when I read your description about where you were during the "event"! :o Glad you were (mostly) unscathed, and able to post about it.

LoneRidgeRunner
02-18-2011, 18:33
I should note. It's not me just something I found online. But it does bring up a good point about the dangers of high winds.

Whoever it was had a very close call...bet he did a "multiple wiper" in his pants..I would have

Pedaling Fool
02-18-2011, 18:44
I do trail maintenance on the NCT. Many of the trees that I have cut off the trail were live trees. Nearly any tree in the forest can fall.

Yes I see many live trees that wouldn't take much to fall, as I am looking for dead trees to knock down. Unfortunately I can't push them trees down, not that I've ever tried:D

It makes you wonder when you hear the term, "old-growth forest". How old is old-growth in an area where the trees grow on a steep grade, they don't live that long, because once they get a certain height they fall.

BTW, I know that's not the case in the pics above, that looks like a pine tree and those trees are prone to falling and/or dropping large branches.

northernstorm
02-18-2011, 18:47
this is a reminder why high winds are among my concerns. i mean, damn...

Blissful
02-18-2011, 22:20
Wow. Have to admit, nice pics and description. Blog worthy

That's how a guy got his trail name Widowmaker in '07. Only in that instance the tree fell right outside his tent door.

Egads
02-19-2011, 07:08
Wow, that's a large branch. Usually the branches are arm sized and are obviously rotten, but not this one.

Daydream Believer
02-20-2011, 20:21
Wow...utterly amazing. Glad you were not hurt!

Skid.
03-16-2011, 11:50
Had a branch fall on my car, just took off the antenna and left a small dent, but I always look up before parking or pitching a tent.

Feral Bill
03-16-2011, 13:47
That's why when I'm looking for firewood I'll look for standing dead trees. There are more than you think and some are pretty easy to push over.

I used to do that. Then the top broke out of one and damn near speared me. No more for me, thanks.

Pedaling Fool
03-16-2011, 17:23
I used to do that. Then the top broke out of one and damn near speared me. No more for me, thanks.
I've had a few close calls myself.

CowHead
03-16-2011, 18:59
is it for sale

OldStormcrow
03-16-2011, 20:43
Hmmmm.....that's gonna leave a mark.....

geomaniac
03-16-2011, 20:55
Makes one wonder about hammocking.......hmmmm but I really love my hammock.