PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh Gap PA trailhead going south on AT

TheYoungOne
02-17-2011, 17:26
Anyone ever park at the Lehigh Gap trail head and hike south over the PA Turnpike Tunnel?

I going to do a dayhike in the area, and I'm just wondering how bad of a climb it is from that parking spot. I drove thru that tunnel a few times that mountain looks pretty impressive.

slugger
02-17-2011, 17:37
I haven't parked there but I have hiked out of the there from the bridge. It's not a bad climb at all. Not a bad climb and the rocks aren't supper bad.

tdoczi
02-17-2011, 17:55
out of the gap to the top of the ridge i dont remember being horrible on that side. however, if youre contemplating going down to devil's pulpit along the way youre in for a struggle getting back up.

harryfred
02-17-2011, 18:18
Did that last fall went up to George W Outterbridge shelter after sundown, and picked up from there in the morning. Don't remember the climb as all that bad. Once at the top the trip to Bake Oven Knob was a breeze. I finished at 309 the next day, the last week the B&B was open They have good food and beer there.

rjjones
02-17-2011, 18:42
I did that last fall as a day hike.The climb up isnt bad at all.There are also a north trail and a south trail when you get to the top.Both are full of veiws.I liked the south trail better.The walking is pretty soft when you get to the top{if i remember right}.Bully Bob

sly dog
02-17-2011, 18:55
I hike that section quite a lot. I take my dog for day hikes there. I always park at the lot there and once or twice I parked on the north end of the bridge in a lot by the AT sign. A nice trip is south and just after the shelter hang a right on the blue blaze and follow that on the top ridge until ya hit the AT again over the tunnel than get on the AT north back to the shelter. Lotta views on the blue blaze trail.

Toolshed
02-17-2011, 19:50
Park at that lot frequently. Don't block driveway with the rear of your car...(Make sure you pull the front of your car all the way in)

Trail up is pretty easy - Just a long climb with a shelter about 75% of the way up. The trail to the right near the top (Devils Pulpit, IIRC) is a pretty nice trail that loops around and gives views. It is a rock scramble to the pulpit.
The large charcoal hearth just past the Lean To is a great camp spot,too.

ki0eh
02-17-2011, 23:26
South side of Lehigh Gap is a lot of new trails great for dayhikes - plus new parking too off a short side trail from the A.T. Check out Lehigh Gap Nature Center http://lgnc.org/ and the trail map on their web site - more up to date than even the newest A.T. map for this corner of the mountain prairie.

slugger
02-18-2011, 01:43
Someone said the devil's pulpit. if you have some time it's a great place to visit and take a load off. We did dinner there. Great views of the gap and not a long walk from the AT. I would suggest it if you want a view from the south side, otherwise there really aren't any good views.