grandview
01-05-2005, 19:18
A different way to pack duck tape...

1. pull the insides of one BIC disposable writing pen out
2. roll duck tape around the end of the outside shell
3. cut the outer shell in two at the edge of the duck tape

It's about the same size as one AA battery...very lightweight, very
packable.

I know a lot of people like to wrap it around something like a staff or trowel, this is just a different approach.

neo
01-05-2005, 19:24
duct tape on my treking poles works fine for me:sun neo

Alligator
01-05-2005, 20:27
Someone on site once mentioned to use a straw. It was much better than my idea to use a dowel.

Footslogger
01-05-2005, 20:31
I go for the hiking stick approach. I'm carrying them anyway and the wrap of duct tape up near the handle doesn't interfere with their use.

'Slogger
AT 2003

SGT Rock
01-05-2005, 21:23
You can also wrap it around a fuel bottle or something similar. Since you are already carrying some of that stuff, it doesn't add any extra weight or take any special strategies.

Kerosene
01-05-2005, 21:52
Another alternative is to roll the tape around a short straw.

Alligator
01-05-2005, 22:27
I suspect it was Kerosene who made the original suggestion.

Fiddleback
01-05-2005, 23:27
at your WalMart...Flat Pack Duck Tape

A 9' flat 'roll' of duck tape weighing less than 2oz. The tape is 1 3/4" wide and the 'roll' itself measures 1 3/4"w X 2 3/4"l X 1/2"h(thick). No fuss, no muss, no compromising the adhesive by unwrapping/rewrapping the tape. :clap

FB

orangebug
01-06-2005, 06:59
You can often find "flat duct tape" at your local Dollar Store.

I think it costs a dollar.

The Solemates
01-06-2005, 10:32
Never carried duct tape, never will.

grandview
01-06-2005, 13:52
In the event you suffer a wound...duck tape is a good makeshift wrap over some sort of bandage.

Along with thousands of other uses of course.

grandview
01-06-2005, 13:55
OB,
I think that dollar store duck tape is actually two dollars.:D

HikeLite
01-09-2005, 10:33
You can make your own flat duct tape by wrapping it around label paper. After labels are removed you have that smooth nonstick surface to put the duct tape against and then just make it flat.

orangebug
01-09-2005, 11:38
It is really easy just to wrap it around a pole or a bottle and be done with it. If I really wanted "flat" duct tape, I'd simply stomp the roll flat and carry it on the original roll.

NICKTHEGREEK
01-09-2005, 12:10
For those who carry tents with poles, wrap it around the pole splint often provided with the tent.

c.coyle
01-09-2005, 12:32
duct tape on my treking poles works fine for me:sun neo

Then you're lifting its weight, over and over again. Just like wearing heavier shoes. An ounce on your pole is like 5 in your pack.
;)

P.S. to moderators: Thanks for bringing back the edit button.

cyclocrosser
01-12-2005, 21:51

I have used duct tape in so many situation backpacking that I don't know how I could get by without it. Once broke a tent pole at the beginning of a 2 week trip used a duct tape and a stick to make a splint and never had any problems. Also works wonders on hot spots and blisters.

But just wrap the tape around a nalgene or fuel bottle and it doesn't take up any space and is much straighter than rolled on a pen.

bigcat2
01-12-2005, 23:01
I use a small golfing pencil and wrap my duct tape around it. You can usually get one either at a real golf course or the carpet golf variety. :) Small and lightweight and you can carry more than you think on it.

grandview
01-13-2005, 00:11
I use a small golfing pencil and wrap my duct tape around it. You can usually get one either at a real golf course or the carpet golf variety. :) Small and lightweight and you can carry more than you think on it.
good idea.......................................

Youngblood
01-13-2005, 09:31
I use a small golfing pencil and wrap my duct tape around it. You can usually get one either at a real golf course or the carpet golf variety. :) Small and lightweight and you can carry more than you think on it.Or you can just use whatever pencil you have laying around and just saw the ends off to the size you want.

The Solemates
01-13-2005, 11:55
I have used duct tape in so many situation backpacking that I don't know how I could get by without it. Once broke a tent pole at the beginning of a 2 week trip used a duct tape and a stick to make a splint and never had any problems. Also works wonders on hot spots and blisters.

But just wrap the tape around a nalgene or fuel bottle and it doesn't take up any space and is much straighter than rolled on a pen.

We believe that if you do not use something every day, then you do not need it. We only have one small pole for our tent and it has never broken, but of course we are a bit anal about treating our gear with care. We also rarely get blisters while on the trail. On our thru, my wife got one blister the entire way, halfway through VA because she switched boots. It was just a small blister and the next town we stopped at, we bought some athletic tape for it. It was gone in a few days. I guess to each his own...

The Solemates
01-13-2005, 11:58
We believe that if you do not use something every day, then you do not need it.

CLARIFICATION: Of course this excludes things like raingear and tent. (You always have to cover your back on this site.)

atraildreamer
06-25-2006, 01:59
Heard this on NPR: Scientists testing the many uses of duct tape found that it is no good for actually taping duct work. Something about the expansion and contraction of the metal ducts causing the tape to fail. :eek:

Stonewall
06-25-2006, 02:23
Heard this on NPR: Scientists testing the many uses of duct tape found that it is no good for actually taping duct work. Something about the expansion and contraction of the metal ducts causing the tape to fail. :eek:

Yeppers Duct tape works on everything except what it was designed to be used for. Haha got to love the Red Green Show (http://www.redgreen.com/).

ffstenger
06-25-2006, 04:00
If you wrap your DT around your hiking pole, is it affected by getting wet
in the rain????

greentick
06-25-2006, 07:10
100mile-an-hour tape (army duct tape) is like the force... it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

SGT Rock
06-25-2006, 07:14
If you wrap your DT around your hiking pole, is it affected by getting wet
in the rain????

Not the good stuff.

Wonder
06-25-2006, 13:21
I never hike out without it!! Saved my feet from being bloody blister messes more then once. Thanks to "Stones" I had no blisters after Blood Mt. I just make my own flat pack and leavei t in a side pocket.......worth evry ounce!

Vi+
06-25-2006, 14:06
“Duct Tape” is the first, and has become the, generic term. “Duck Tape” is a brand name of tape.

Some duct tape is stickier than others. I bought some from Lee Valley Tools, a Canadian company - now with a US distribution point - which is MUCH more sticky than other stuff I’ve used.

If you fold about an inch of duct tape over at one end to stick to itself, that’s the beginning of a roll. Fold the tip you’ve just created, and roll whatever tape you wish to carry about that tip to make a roll any size you wish without additional unnecessary weight.

Doctari
06-25-2006, 14:29
I NEVER hike, travel, etc without Duct tape. My current supply in my pack is camo, on a recycled flat pack "core", originally bought at Big Lots for about $.99. I think I'm carrying about 25' of the Magic tape.

Can't believe anyone would hike any distance without duct tape, but that's just me. Talk about your multi use item.

Doctari.

Amigi'sLastStand
06-25-2006, 19:20
Horsehockey. You need 502 or 503 grade real duct tape, not the grey packing tape that is sold as duct tape. Real duct tape has the temperature rating printed every few inches to meet NEC code ( Nat Elec Code ).

hikerjohnd
06-25-2006, 20:45
Haha got to love the Red Green Show (http://www.redgreen.com/).

If they don't find you handsome, at least they'll find you handy!!!

MOWGLI
06-25-2006, 20:58
Duct tape is overrated IMO. I rarely carry it. Tinman from AntiGravityGear (http://www.antigravitygear.com/) sent me a small sampler with my last order. I'll probably carry it with me on my next two hikes (Northville Placid & JMT) - just in case.

Amigi'sLastStand
06-25-2006, 21:52
Duct tape is overrated IMO. I rarely carry it. Tinman from AntiGravityGear (http://www.antigravitygear.com/) sent me a small sampler with my last order. I'll probably carry it with me on my next two hikes (Northville Placid & JMT) - just in case.
Youre right as always.

fiddlehead
08-04-2006, 21:54
Here's another use for Duct Tape:
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Duct-Tape-Wallet
Perhaps a bit heavy for hiking, but interesting non-the-less.

MOWGLI
08-05-2006, 00:24

Update: I used Tinman's duct tape with the backing on my daughter's feet, and it worked great. Beats regular duct tape by a mile. I'll be carrying it on the JMT starting next week. I'm a convert.

Here's (http://www.antigravitygear.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=115)what I'm talking about.

kyhipo
08-05-2006, 09:29
I wrap it around my water nalgein bottle,and also around my fuel bottle never know where,I'll end up hiking anymore especially on my west adventures,duck tape has helped me out several times when far away from civilization.ky

FLHiker
08-05-2006, 09:30

Without the handyman's secrete weapon - how do you do light autobody repair along the trail?

Jeff
Technical Advisor
Rothschild's Sewage and Septic Sucking Services, Inc.
"Where your # 2 is our # 1"
Possum Lake, OT

:D

1Pint
08-05-2006, 10:20
If they don't find you handsome, at least they'll find you handy!!!

Caught that show last week for the first time in like 5 years. It used to have me laughing from start to finish. Not anymore. Bummer. I wonder if Red Dwarf - remember that? it used to come on just before or after the Red Green Show - would be as disappointing now too.

frieden
08-05-2006, 21:19
I NEVER hike, travel, etc without Duct tape. My current supply in my pack is camo.

Camo duct tape?!? Plleeeaaassseeee! :rolleyes: .........

My duct tape is purple! :D

bigcranky
08-06-2006, 09:42
Mine is red, and I wrap it around the shaft of my right-hand Leki pole. That way I have an instant visual clue as to which Leki goes in which hand, without having to read the tiny lettering on the top of the pole, which is way too small to read without my glasses anyway. Red=Right.

Plus, red duct tape is great for wrapping all over your feet to prevent blisters. When you take off your shoes and socks in a shelter, everyone thinks there's blood all over your feet.

Hana_Hanger
08-06-2006, 13:39
Plus, red duct tape is great for wrapping all over your feet to prevent blisters. When you take off your shoes and socks in a shelter, everyone thinks there's blood all over your feet.
What a great idea...so that is how one could receive a free hot cooked meal!!!
Just joking:D

karo
08-06-2006, 14:28
I have seen the Gorilla Glue brand of duct tape called Gorilla tape. It is supposed to have extra adhesive like the 200 mph stuff Nascar uses. It is expensive tho at $9.99 a roll. Has anyone used this stuff yet and is it worth the high price?

Ridge
08-08-2006, 23:03
I'm now using the new mylar duct tape. Much thinner and more durable, however very expensive about 12 bucks a roll. I roll some around my coffee cup for insulation and storage.

jazilla
08-09-2006, 08:53
I made a wallet and a check book cover out of real tree duct tape.