PDA

View Full Version : Number of Hikers in the Late Summer/Fall

jthue
02-18-2011, 02:03
So I will be hiking from Springer Mtn. to mid-Virginia this summer/fall and I was curious to how many hikers I might be able to meet and make friends with along my way. I'm sure it's nothing like the social scene that would be if I left in the spring on a thru hike, but do think there will be more than just day and weekend hikers to mingle with? Thanks.

Northern Lights
02-18-2011, 02:13
I'll be heading to Springer Mtn mid September, not going as far as you, just to Fontana. Say hello if you see me on the trail :)

daddytwosticks
02-18-2011, 08:27
It has been my experience that time of year (late Aug through Sept.) finds few people hiking down here - maybe with the exception of Labor Day weekend. School starting up, hot temperatures, low water...I don't know why. :)

generoll
02-18-2011, 10:32
we had quite a few section hikers this past summer and fall. the southbounders are also coming through, but by the time they get near Hiawassee they are like the horse that smells the barn. the end is in sight and they're broke so no stopping.

jthue
02-18-2011, 18:51
Thanks a ton folks! Candian girl, I will look out for you kicking some ass on the trail! And generoll, I will try to make it to Hiawassee, I hear its a great place to re-load with good people

coppertex
02-18-2011, 21:07
I typically do a section hike every September and hardly see anyone. Pretty much every night at shelters i spend the night alone...and yeah, the water situation is usually tough.

MkBibble
02-18-2011, 22:53
i've hiked this section the last two years at the end of september to first of october. on nice weather days i usually meet 5 to 10 other hikers. during a very rainy period, north of unicoi last year, i went 2-1/2 days without seeing ANYbody.