PDA

View Full Version : How fast are boars?

SiuWonfung
01-05-2005, 19:21
How fast can a boar run? could a person outrun a boar?

saimyoji
01-05-2005, 19:26
...I do believe a peron could outrun a boar. It really depends on the weight of your sword, and whether or not you're packing a toothbrush. But, if you've forgotten your glasses or contacts, forget it, you're boar fodder. Of course, boars don't climb trees...unless your in Tibet that is. :D

MOWGLI
01-05-2005, 19:56

Well, I hiked with a boar in 2000. I tried repeatedly to lose him, but every night he caught me at the campsite or shelter. It was awful. Every day the same old stories....

The Old Fhart
01-05-2005, 20:24
In 1987 when I crossed Fontana Dam I saw a wild boar that had been trapped in a cage. When I got into the Smokies I met a ranger and I asked him what they did with the animals they caught. He, in perfect government-ese, said they would either relocate, or use a method he refered to as, "direct reduction."

SGT Rock
01-05-2005, 21:22
I would like to work in the Smoky Mountain Direct Reduction Program. Sounds like a hoot.

ed bell
01-05-2005, 21:43
Anyone for European wild boar bacon? I've seen areas in the Jocassee Gorges around the SC Foothills Trail that have been rooted up pretty bad. Destructive pests that I hope I never tangle with, unless I'm on the Direct Reduction Team.:cool:

Lone Wolf
01-05-2005, 21:45
I love the smell of frying bacon in the morning...

SGT Rock
01-05-2005, 21:56
Hell yes. Imagine getting to shoot those big old things, then you could cook up the parts you want and leave the rest for the bears. Imagine the hiker feed you could stage up on Derrick Knob with one of those puppies :D

Kerosene
01-05-2005, 21:59
Oooh, Direct Reduction with a sword...cool!

I work in a 10-story building. A few months ago we came into work to find a bunch of heavy machinery tearing up several of the parking lots and cutting down all of the trees. A steam shovel dismantled a covered 3-lane bank drive-up in 20 minutes. I observed that all of the women in the building were horrified at the loss of trees, while all the guys were transfixed with the destruction and talked about what it must be like to be able to operate that big iron all day!

Hey, saimyoji, you're a hoot! Fill out your Public Profile so we can get a sense of who you are!

flyfisher
01-06-2005, 13:52
I ran across several of the Smoky Mountain boar hunters in my hikes on the AT. I also ran across a bunch of ground that had been turned over by the boars in the night.

I saw one Smoky's boar - about 6:30 in the morning shortly after leaving a shelter. The boar was about 15 yards off the right side of the path and heard me comming. I have never seen something run so fast away from me, making as much noise in the brush as that boar. It was faster than a deer.

I know that I would never have been able to run that fast. However, that boar was one scared pig. He had no desire to be around humans.

It made me think about the relative advantages of letting the professional boar hunters do a little hunting of the bear population. It might make the bears a lot less agressive around shelters and campsites.

The Solemates
01-06-2005, 14:25
...I do believe a peron could outrun a boar. It really depends on the weight of your sword, and whether or not you're packing a toothbrush. But, if you've forgotten your glasses or contacts, forget it, you're boar fodder. Of course, boars don't climb trees...unless your in Tibet that is. :D

Absolutely hilarious response. Nice laugh.

Rain Man
01-06-2005, 18:10

Below is a long passage on the nature of boars from "Our Southern Highlanders" by Horace Kephart, pages 45-47. He says boar can run faster than deer. Seems they also may be smarter (and meaner?) than many people, too! LOL If you enjoy this excerpt, I bet you can get the book at your local public library.
:sun
Rain Man

"The mainstay of every farmer, aside from his cornfield, was his litter of razorback hogs. “Old cornbread and sowbelly” are a menu complete for the mountaineer. The wild pig, roaming foot-loose and free over hill and dale, picks up his own living at all seasons and requires no attention al all. He is the cheapest possible source of meat and yields the quickest return: “no other food animal can increase his own weight a hundred and fifty fold in the first eight months of his life.” And so he is regarded by his owner with the same affection that Connemara Paddy bestows upon “the gintleman that pays the rint.”

"In physique and mentality, the razorback differs even more from a domestic hog that a wild goose does from a tame one. Shaped in front like a thin wedge, he can go through laurel thickets like a bear. Armored with tough hide cushioned by bristles, he despises thorns, brambles, and rattlesnakes, alike. His extravagantly long snout can scent like a cats’s, and yet burrow, uproot, overturn, as if made of metal. The long legs, thin flanks, pliant hoofs, fit him to run like a deer and climb like a goat. In courage and sagacity he outranks all other beasts. A warrior born, he is also a strategist of the first order. Like man, he lives a communal life, and unites with other of his kind for purposes of defense.

"The pig is the only large mammal I know of, besides man, whose eyes will not shine by reflected light – they are too bold and crafty, I wit. The razorback has a mind of his own; not instinct, but mind – whatever psychologists may say. He thinks. Anybody can see that when he is not rooting or sleeping he is studying devilment. He shows remarkable understanding of human speech, especially profane speech, and even an uncanny gift of reading men’s thoughts, whenever those thoughts are directed against the peace and dignity of pigship. He bears grudges, broods over indignities, and plans redresses for the morrow or the week after. If he cannot get even with you, he will lay for your unsuspecting friend. And at the last, when arrested in his crimes and lodged in the pen, he is liable to attacks of mania from sheer helpless rage.

"If you camp out in the mountains, nothing will molest you but razorback hogs. Bears will flee and wildcats sneak to their dens, but the moment incense of cooking arises from your camp every pig within two miles will scent it and hasten to call. You many throw your arm out of joint: they will laugh in your face. You may curse in five languages: it is music to their titillating ears.

"Throughout summer and autumn I cooked out of doors, on the woodsman’s range of forked stakes and a lug-ole spanning parallel beds of rock. When the pigs came, I fed them red-pepper pie. Then all said good-bye to my hospitality save one slab-sided, tusky old boar – and he planned a campaign. At the first smell of smoke he would start for my premises. Hiding securely in a nearby thicket, he would spy on the operations until my stew got to simmering gently and I would retire to the cabin and get my fists in the dough. Then, charging at speed, he would knock down a stake, trip the lug-pole, and send my dinner flying. Every day he would do this. It got so that I had to sit there facing the fire all through my cooking, or that beast of a hog would ruin me. With this I thought he was outgeneraled. Idle dream! He would slip off to my favorite neighbor’s, break through the garden fence, and raise Ned instanter – all because he hated me, for that peppery fraud, and knew that Bob and I were cronies.

"I dubbed this pig Belial; a name that Bob promptly adapted to his own notion by calling it Be-liar. “That Be-liar,” swore he, “would cross hell on a rotten rail to git into my ‘tater patch!”

"Finally I could stand it no longer, and took down my rifle. It was a nail-driver, and I, through constant practice in beheading squirrels, was in good form. However, in the mountains it is more heinous to kill another man’s pig than to shoot the owner. So I took craft for my guild, and guile for my heart’s counsel. I stalked Belial as stealthily as ever hunter crept on an antelope against the wind. At last I had him dead right: broadside to me and motionless as if in a daydream. I knew that if I drilled his ear, or shot his tail clean off, it would only make him meaner than ever. He sported an uncommonly fine tail, and was proud to flaunt it. I drew down on that member, purposely a trifle scant, fired, and – away scuttled that boar, with a broken tail that would dangle and cling to him disgracefully through life.

"Exit Belial! It was equivalent to a broken heart. He emigrated, or committed suicide, I know not which, but the Smoky Mountains knew him no more."

Ramble~On
01-07-2005, 06:54
Yeah hogs.

We done gots plenty of them thar hogs. Forest roto-tillers them hogs be.
Nasty critters. they'n can run a quick scoot too. aint never clocked one though. they be might quick...run fast'r than dinner come'n back up after too much shine'.. Yes Sir...that be purty quick.

Park been a trying to git rid a dem hogs a while now..shoot on sight and leave em lay where dey fall. feeds dem bear good an fat.

deese hills all'a up an round here full o' hogs. some git a might big too.

Goes way back.. hunt'n preserve S.E. ah dah park years an years ago.
Darn fool brought in Russian boar...and darn if dey didn't get loose. now dey all over. Oink Oink.

Some da places I go ah walk'n in dah woods here....I don't worry me none about dem bear...it be them pigs. Mama pig she don't like you round her youngin's no more dan mama bear do. No Sir.

You go git you a copy o' "Old Yeller" and read you good bout them pigs.

On the other hand......I must gree' with Mr. Wolf cause dem pigs shurely do smell might fine fry'n up in de morn'n.

Goon
01-07-2005, 10:55
Worry about Hogzilla!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5540839/

SiuWonfung
01-07-2005, 20:35
hey sweet, thanks for the advice!

But, hey I have another question, what would be my chances of fighting a boar? (and no, not with a sword)

Tater
01-07-2005, 21:11
hey sweet, thanks for the advice!

But, hey I have another question, what would be my chances of fighting a boar? (and no, not with a sword)
If you have enough to drink, chances are real good you'll be ready to fight a boar, a bear, and anything else that moves within 100 miles. Just make sure you're paid up on your life insurance premiums. :D

Valmet
01-07-2005, 23:41
When I lived in South Georgia I used to go hunting for wild hogs in the swamps. We used dogs to corner them and hold them. We would then tie them up with rope and bring them back to fatten up. The first time I went was a real rush. There is nothing like 2 or 300 hundred pounds of mean coming at you through the reeds when you can't see them but can hear them and see the reeds move. Are they fast, well you may crap your pants faster than they can run but that is about it. We did not use guns to hunt them and we did get ripped a few times, I would not want to try and hold one without about 7 dogs hanging on to legs and ears.

Newb
01-15-2005, 20:17
A friend of mines father was gored by a board in SouthWest Virginia a few years ago. In just a few seconds it tore his leg wide open. A boar will charge in drop you before you can outrun it. The only way to escape a boar is up a tree. You should be prepared to shimmy up a trunk, and know how to do it. It's not silly to suggest that everyone should practice that skill a couple of times..You run, leap, wrap your legs around it as high as possible and shimmy up.

Ramble~On
01-16-2005, 07:34
A male adult boar is not something to mess with. (period)
If you are hunting them and have a gun, bow and tree stand or combination of both and dogs...yeah...the odds are stacked in your favor.
Boar not only have teeth but tusks...and they will open you up.
To that add their low center of gravity, weight, and speed and you can pretty much count on being knocked off you feet...and in the instant that you are down those tusks will do some damage..
The good news: When is the last time you read the paper and the headline was: "HIKER MAULED BY PIG" ?
Boar attack.....not likely.
I can't speak for the rest of the country but in Western North Carolina you rarely come across a lone pig. There are usually several. Most of the time they run off the second they see, hear or smell you.
On a scale of 1 to 10 boar rate a .5 on the "Things to worry about" scale.
Plus.....they shurely does smell might fine cook'n up in the morn'n.

Saluki Dave
01-16-2005, 13:15
...is to have a hiking partner slower than you are; preferably a boar-ing one. :D Hey, I wonder if mean pigs are cross breeding with elephant deer? Now there's a thought...