PDA

View Full Version : Financing the Trail

jessser
02-18-2011, 12:11
Tips on how to come up with the money needed to thru-hike trail? My financial situation isnt the greatest right now, but still determined to hike the trail. I was working paycheck to paycheck. I am jobless again now and looking for work. With the economy banks are very difficult to convince to loan money. April is my date to start thru-hike. I can cover gear expenses but dont want to run out of money on trail and have to stop. Any advice on how to come up with the money needed would be appreciated. And what is the minimum balance I can get away with? Thanxs all.

Wobegon
02-18-2011, 12:29
Your minimum balance depends on your comfort level. I, personally, wouldn't leave without at least $2,500 just in case there is a medical or otherwise emergency.

To come up with some extra cash: Garage sale, sell things you don't use. Sell your plasma. Try to find a part-time job, even somewhere you normally wouldn't "want" to work at. You're leaving in two months, who cares if you're flipping burgers or other menial stuff.

theycallmej
02-18-2011, 13:49
Well-said FargoBill.

Ironically, the best test for measuring your gumption isn't found on the trail but it's in the process of earning your freedom to hike. Try finding a job any way possible and work knowing you're using that money towards the trail. Sell off some old stuff, donate plasma (you can gain up to 120$ per month doing so). Keep your chin up because if you are looking for work and a way to fund your trip, you will absolutely find it. You just have to reach down deep in your gut and find what you want and go for it-- don't be afraid of what it takes, just go right on. Otherwise, you'll wind up like other poor saps who never get to set foot on the trail-- and you'll find in life, like I have through my small experiences, that the things you regret most in life are the things you didn't do but could have.

crazystick
02-18-2011, 14:13
I sold my truck to pay for the trail. I posted it up on craigslist and it sold next day.

fiddlehead
02-18-2011, 15:08
Think outside the box.
A few ideas: Cruise thrift stores and sell the stuff on craigslist, ebay or flea markets. (even dumpster dive for stuff)
Buy cars at auctions, fix them up and sell them from a Wal-mart parking lot. (takes time though)
Sell all your belongings.
Get a job anywhere (it's temporary right?) Even working a garbage truck or sweeping floors.
I think you may have already missed a golden opportunity that i used to do a lot: Shovel snow when given the chance.
I got a job mixing cement for my first thru.
Waxing cars was another one.

I've also: Ran a jackhammer all day, roofing, worked at a sawmill (hardest physical job I ever had), cut timber, and was a DJ.

In other words: Do whatever it takes. It helps if the job helps to get you in shape.

They call it "work" for a reason. Sometimes it's hard, but it's usually worth it, and you always learn something.

ps. my neighbor just started buying fruit, cutting it up and selling it to tourists. He made $40 his first day! Bananas anyone?

jessser
02-20-2011, 10:07
thanxs all. ive been gettin away with short labor work right now. jus odds and ends. my spiritual strength with keepin a good attitude bout money/work is goin away little by little. but goin thro and readin others experiences puts me back on the right path again. i jus wanted to hit the trail and not worry bout "normal" everyday livin cause ive had enough. im a recoverin alcoholic and comin up on my 1year of sobriety soon. the replies reminds me i need to swallow my pride and do whatever it takes. thank you all.
"the things you regret most in life are the things you didn't do but could have"-thanxs theycallmej great quote

garlic08
02-20-2011, 13:51
All excellent advice above. The other side of a budget is expenses. You're probably already there, but cut ALL unnecessary expenses, like your cell phone (gasp!), DVD rentals, books and magazines (get to know your library), meals out, sell your car like others have said not just for cash but to eliminate insurance, taxes, and maintenance, etc. I even cut out my garbage bill by bartering handyman services with a local business with a dumpster. I used their WIFI, too, with permission. I scrounged free fire wood to cut heating expenses and kept in shape hauling, cutting, and splitting wood. Every $10 you save by not eating out equates to about an hour of menial labor, and that's a good incentive.

d.o.c
02-20-2011, 13:56
plasma... oyster mushroom$.. sell ur tv

Blissful
02-20-2011, 16:00
I would never take out a loan to hike the trail. And I would make sure I have money to do it. Too many drop out having run out of money. There is an article up I believe on how to do the trail frugally. But I sure wouldn't want the idea of a poor financial situation hanging over my hike and then try to enjoy it. Esp if this is the only time you see doing it. I'd want some better security myself. And its kind of late in the game now to try and come up with the cash for a start this season. You might consider postponing until things looks better. But that's me.

trailangelbronco
02-20-2011, 17:30
You also have to save for life after the hike. Where will you live post hike? How will you get home from Baxter State park?

jesse
02-20-2011, 17:35
4 ways to get money:
1. Inherit
2. Work
3. Steal
4. Beg.

If #1 is not an option, I suggest work.

DapperD
02-20-2011, 18:37
Tips on how to come up with the money needed to thru-hike trail? My financial situation isnt the greatest right now, but still determined to hike the trail. I was working paycheck to paycheck. I am jobless again now and looking for work. With the economy banks are very difficult to convince to loan money. April is my date to start thru-hike. I can cover gear expenses but dont want to run out of money on trail and have to stop. Any advice on how to come up with the money needed would be appreciated. And what is the minimum balance I can get away with? Thanxs all.

thanxs all. ive been gettin away with short labor work right now. jus odds and ends. my spiritual strength with keepin a good attitude bout money/work is goin away little by little. but goin thro and readin others experiences puts me back on the right path again. i jus wanted to hit the trail and not worry bout "normal" everyday livin cause ive had enough. im a recoverin alcoholic and comin up on my 1year of sobriety soon. the replies reminds me i need to swallow my pride and do whatever it takes. thank you all.
"the things you regret most in life are the things you didn't do but could have"-thanxs theycallmej great quoteJesser, as other's have said if you can sell items you no longer need or want this can be an option to raise some quick cash. Otherwise as I believe your planned departure date is fast approaching, you may need to consider either waiting a year (attempt to land work in the meantime and save) and going next year, or start out this year and hike until your money runs out. Congratulations on approaching a year of sobriety. I know with the current economic situation in this country right now, many people are having their spiritual faith tested to the extreme. Many recovering from substance abuse are probably white knuckled right about now when it comes to remaining sober and trying to find suitable work/means to pay the bills. Hang in there. One year of sobriety for a recovering person is a wonderful accomplishment. One other thing, you don't say wether you live at home with mom and/or dad or not, but as other's have said, you will need to think about your return after the hike. It is always better to have cash available waiting for you when you get back then to have to worry about not having the means to support yourself later on:-?. Good Luck

WalkingUSA
02-20-2011, 18:40
I did option 1, inherit. ;)

zombiegrad
02-21-2011, 19:12
Tell everyone you know what your plans are and ask if they know of any freelance jobs. Treat your thru hike like a job search--network! I was fortunate to find a freelance job that covered my gear. Also, call in all debts. This one can be awkward (for me!), but if you have any friends who owe you money, hit them up and let them know your situation. I have a friend who, when she finishes paying me off, will have offset 80% of my trip expenses (retroactively). If you have a birthday coming up, ask friends and family to buy you an item off your gear list rather than getting you something you don't need. Money's better! Like everyone else said, cut off all needless expenses. Where there's a will, there's a way, jessser. Good luck! We'll be rooting for you. And remember: if not today, tomorrow.

DLANOIE
02-23-2011, 13:41
I inherited money after my father passed away. That is how I funded my hike and dedicated the trip in his memory.

Sorry I know this adds no relavent information.

stonedflea
02-23-2011, 19:46
you could postpone your start date and go SOBO... you don't have to wait a whole 'nother year before you head out. :)